Re-signing Franklin

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've just been over to HHQ and I saw an interesting article about how Franklin hasn't been re-signed as yet by the club. Given Sheedy's comments earlier on in the year in relation to youngsters 'shouldn't sign because we're coming after you' - could Sheedy be in Franklin's ear?

Lets just hope he re-signs soon! :(

philhawk said:
I've just been over to HHQ and I saw an interesting article about how Franklin hasn't been re-signed as yet by the club. Given Sheedy's comments earlier on in the year in relation to youngsters 'shouldn't sign because we're coming after you' - could Sheedy be in Franklin's ear?

Lets just hope he re-signs soon!

I seriously doubt buddy would leave the hawks to go to the scum, who are on the way down the ladder. If buddy was looking to leave it would be to go to a team going up the ladder.

I reckon buddy will stay a hawks, as the hawks are on the way up and are a young team who are playing for each other. Besides his family to melbourne to be with him as well!!! Hurry up hawks and sign our buddy!

Just do the age old thing and try to picture him in a bombers guernsey, doesnt look right does it? The hawks guernsey suits him, perhaps because it matches his complexion or something, but its always a good way to determine whether a player will go to a certain club, or stay. Call me stupid (dont really), but im sticking to that theory :thumbsu:

We might as well sign him up now while he hasn't done that much for a good price rather than wait until the end of the season when his value might be up! Not sure if he is going to be a superstar just yet but it would be a travesty if we lost him this early in his career!

philhawk said:
Given Sheedy's comments earlier on in the year in relation to youngsters 'shouldn't sign because we're coming after you' - could Sheedy be in Franklin's ear?(
It's called poaching. The Bombers have tested the ire of the AFL in too many aspects of infinging the laws.

If Sheedy is caught out on poaching he will be tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered and strung-up on the poop-deck :eek: .

Jeff Kennet will for sure sign him up and Clarkson will make Buddy a bigger star than he is already.

Essendon has no hope in any Hawk player going there because they are going to be on the bottom and we are going to play finals. Clarkson is a young gun coach and Sheedy is an old 1990's coach that is too old to understand the new techniques.

Buddy should be signed for 5 years at least!

tomthetiger said:
Just do the age old thing and try to picture him in a bombers guernsey, doesnt look right does it? The hawks guernsey suits him, perhaps because it matches his complexion or something, but its always a good way to determine whether a player will go to a certain club, or stay. Call me stupid (dont really), but im sticking to that theory :thumbsu:
I never thought I would see the day that Brown and Gold would be used in combination for the sake of fashion :p ;)

Robber Baron said:
Jeff Kennet will for sure sign him up and Clarkson will make Buddy a bigger star than he is already.

Essendon has no hope in any Hawk player going there because they are going to be on the bottom and we are going to play finals. Clarkson is a young gun coach and Sheedy is an old 1990's coach that is too old to understand the new techniques.

Buddy should be signed for 5 years at least!
Wrong

Sheedy is an '80's coach ;)

Hawk_Hero_Win said:
I seriously doubt buddy would leave the hawks to go to the scum, who are on the way down the ladder. If buddy was looking to leave it would be to go to a team going up the ladder.

I reckon buddy will stay a hawks, as the hawks are on the way up and are a young team who are playing for each other. Besides his family to melbourne to be with him as well!!! Hurry up hawks and sign our buddy!

I believe that we should give Buddy to essendon. All that we require from them is that the take Boyle, Ries, Ball, Barker, Thurgood, Everitt, Osborne, Miller, Vandenberg and Little...

Forrest Gump said:
Yeah, I know. They probably dont want that lazy, selfish bum Everitt. maybe if we take him off the table we could get the deal through...

I think you dont know Spida because he is a good bloke and a real gun player. You shuld go to the new social club at Waverly and have a few beers with Spida after training one night and you will see hes a top bloke and loves Hawthorn.

We have got the best facilities at Waverly which Ian Dicker got us of only $1, we have got the best President in Kennet and the best CEO in Robson which we stole from Enlgands soccer and we stole Colingwoods gun finance guy so why wuld Spida want to leave. ? And we signed up Clarkson before the other clubs wanted to steal who is going to be the next Lee Mathews and win us many flags. We are going to have another dienasty of premiership flags again.

Robber Baron said:
I think you dont know Spida because he is a good bloke and a real gun player. You shuld go to the new social club at Waverly and have a few beers with Spida after training one night and you will see hes a top bloke and loves Hawthorn.

We have got the best facilities at Waverly which Ian Dicker got us of only $1, we have got the best President in Kennet and the best CEO in Robson which we stole from Enlgands soccer and we stole Colingwoods gun finance guy so why wuld Spida want to leave. ? And we signed up Clarkson before the other clubs wanted to steal who is going to be the next Lee Mathews and win us many flags. We are going to have another dienasty of premiership flags again.

Spida? Is that you? It sure reads as though Spida wrote it.

hyperswivel said:
Spida? Is that you? It sure reads as though Spida wrote it.

I wish l was Spida. Id be loaded with cash and never have to work ever again. He is worth millions. Hes got a big business in Sydney that makes loads of cash and some businesses in Mebourne and Asia as well. Hes a top businessman with his wife and accountnat. I wish l had 1% of what he gets and thats more than what l make in a year. Good on him, he deserves it and is a top ruckman and is great for us.

Jeff Kennet shuld give him a few more years so he can teach our kids how to ruck.

SECOND-YEAR Hawthorn forward Lance Franklin is keeping his options open despite scheduled contract talks tomorrow between his management and the Hawks.

The 19-year-old's Perth-based agent Wayne Loxley will meet Hawthorn officials in Melbourne tomorrow, but yesterday he stressed Franklin would not be signing a new contract until later in the season. "Hawthorn is dead keen to re-sign him, but we are in no hurry," Loxley said. "I'll listen to what they've got to offer but nothing will happen for some time. They put in an offer earlier in the year but it was a bit light on."
Franklin comes off contract at the end of the season.
Loxley insisted Franklin was not homesick for Perth, and said he had had no official discussions with either West Coast or Fremantle about a return to Western Australia.
But it is known the Eagles are keen on the left-footer and would be prepared to make him a substantial offer should he decide to remain out of contract.
Franklin played 20 games in his initial season after being the fifth player selected overall in the 2004 national draft.
He has only managed to play in Hawthorn's past four games this year due to a pre-season ankle injury and a hand injury in the VFL.
He kicked a career-best six goals straight against Richmond in Launceston last Sunday week and was one of the reasons the Hawks upset an in-form Tigers outfit.

Gees i hope this doesn't turn into a ransom set by Buddys manager. We are getting a bit bent over on contract negotiations off late :mad:

I still think he'll stay on, but its not great news (delaying contracts)..

Bloody Sheedy is dangerous.. (But why would Buddy leave a club that is in a ten times better position then Essendon)...

Nightwolf_69 said:
I still think he'll stay on, but its not great news (delaying contracts)..

Bloody Sheedy is dangerous.. (But why would Buddy leave a club that is in a ten times better position then Essendon)...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talk. Especially of Buddy's self worth is a little inflated.

If he wants to look for the money, let him go, he's only played one good game anyway. I seem to remember players like Dixon and Holland playing well when their contracts were in negotiation and look at how that ended up

Don't let the media beat it up too much. The manager is talking tough, probably cause he wants a decent cut himself and realises buddy is hot property...

I'm not too worried about it at the moment. Although I never like it when they delay talks to the end of the season.

What the hell is with this?

To be honest, as much as I love Buddy, I would have only seen him fitting into a flanker/winger role, so even if he went he wouldn't disrupt our long term structure too much. Players like Dowler, Roughead and Croad are invaluable towards that structure and Buddy is just an enormous bonus ...

Let's just hope he re-signs guys ... :(

Back