Analysis Real or overreaction: The Pies should wait on a new Buckley deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

LukeH10

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just asked by Gerard on AFL 360. Robbo replied with yes it's real but has predicted the Pies will offer him a new contract over summer.

Now I thought I'd get the opinion from Pie fans. Hopefully no idiot comments but hey this is Big Footy..

My opinion, yes this is real. Now I am a Buckley fan & have been throughout the journey & will continue to be. I back him all the way but I understand where others are coming from. I feel 2016 will be a huge year for Buckley & Collingwood. Top 8 or bust. The media storm will be heavy on whether or not he will get a new contract but I'm hoping the club be would be able to withstand that.
In saying all that, I'd be just as happy to see him offered a new contract this summer locking him in.
Anyway, shall be interesting.
Your thoughts on this?

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY Real

Bucks has never got the team Better. Side kept going Backwards every season he has Coached.

He at leas has to Improve the Side and Wins and Losses to keep his Job

I have no opinion on the 360 rumour (which seems to be doing the rounds), but I say no extension until next year. I don't think we've been going backwards, not in the broader scheme of things, but he shouldn't be locked in until we know that he can take us further forward.

I'm bullish about Bucks, but I think that the coach needs to be as accountable as the players on our list.

I think we need to stay this course until the end of 2016 and then review. Why rush to re-sign Bucks? You'd do that if there was a possibility of him leaving us, but not the other way around. We hold the upper hand here. While I love the man, I doubt there are other clubs waiting in the wings to snap him up (which might be the case with Clarko, hence Hawthorn's rush to re-sign him this week). Where else would Bucks pick up his $1 mil (?) per annum?

Definitely wait. Next year is his 5th year at the helm and it seems we are actually declining season after season since hes been head coach. Another poor season next year and we almost cant renew his contract.

Make or break 2016.

No renewal. He has the team he wanted and the culture. I expected us to just make the eight this year given the quality of our drafts, but I have been disappointed. He has not supplied the results. We also need to consider if he did leave, who would be the replacement and for this to happen the stars would need to align. The poor performing coaches have paid the price, with the expection of Melbourne. Roos is not worth the money and the game has moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everyone so far.

Collingwood is bigger than the individual. We've been patient with Bucks, he's rebuilt the list, now it's time to see some results to reassure us we're on the right path. That needs to happen in 2016.

No finals in 2016, no Bucks in 2017.

We should not offer an extension, happy to have him coach under pressure. He needs to know the coaching gig isn't a free ride because he's a club great.

IMO, we've lost sight of the overall goal if we re-sign a coach simply to stave off media speculation...
Fair call and while media speculation has previously contributed to derailing seasons you're right it's not a reason for re-signing a coach. A better question is would a performance based contract be a better rocket/motivator than no contract at all?

Fair call and while media speculation has previously contributed to derailing seasons you're right it's not a reason for re-signing a coach. A better question is would a performance based contract be a better rocket/motivator than no contract at all?

I don't think that Buckley has ever lacked for motivation. I've got no doubt that he's applying himself with the same methodical and ruthless intensity with which he played the game. The issue is whether his best is good enough. His best wasn't good enough to get us over the line in the 2002 GF, and we'll find out soon whether his best is good enough to take us to the finals in 2016.

Here's the real.. he's getting a new deal!!

Rhyme and exclamation marks aside, whether or not he lands a new deal beyond 2016 won't change the fact that he still won't be coaching beyond 2016 if his team doesn't put in a better show next year than it did this year. In which case we'll have a new coach and a financial liability in paying out the old one.

I don't think that Buckley has ever lacked for motivation. I've got no doubt that he's applying himself with the same methodical and ruthless intensity with which he played the game. The issue is whether his best is good enough. His best wasn't good enough to get us over the line in the 2002 GF, and we'll find out soon whether his best is good enough to take us to the finals in 2016.

Problem in 2002/2003 we did not have great Depth

Rhyme and exclamation marks aside, whether or not he lands a new deal beyond 2016 won't change the fact that he still won't be coaching beyond 2016 if his team doesn't put in a better show next year than it did this year. In which case we'll have a new coach and a financial liability in paying out the old one.

That's for the crystal ball, the reality is he's getting a new deal, put houses, grandmothers and your children on it.. that's the real

I tend to agree with JB in that Buckley has never lacked motivation because he is the most self driven individual in footy, IMO, and I'd also look upon coaching for your life as motivation enough.

I'm just one to rationalise it by asking the simple question of does this decision take us a step closer to number 16? In 2015 we saw Buckley in charge with a safety blanket of the extra season (I understand yours would be performance based) and I'm not sure we saw him get anything further out of the group so I can't really accept 2016 with a contract for 2017 in place would be any different.

FWIW we've never had a coach come out of contract under Ed unless by design (MM 2011 and Shaw 99) so if he does enter 2016 unsigned I would personally take it as a given that Ed and the board have put in the groundwork on a replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back