Toast Record Breaking Game - May 25th, 2024 vs. North

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm trying to work out how I'm going to celebrate this wonderful achievement of Ken Hinkley hitting 259 games without a Grand Final appearance.

I've still got plenty of time and I think it has to be something reversible because it is still possible to make the Grand Final.

I might get a TikTok account or burn my second car or fast for a couple of weeks. Dunno.

Seriously though, a 7-goal win over one of his bunnies (9-2 vs North) occurring in front of 300 people in windswept Hobart is the perfect microcosm of this dismal era.

Seriously though, a 7-goal win over one of his bunnies (9-2 vs North) occurring in front of 300 people in windswept Hobart is the perfect microcosm of this dismal era.

You know what I can envisage if we somehow found a way to make the finals? Essendon v Port elimination final in front of 80k at the 'G. Essendon break their 20 year finals win drought against Hinkley's Port.

You know what I can envisage if we somehow found a way to make the finals? Essendon v Port elimination final in front of 80k at the 'G. Essendon break their 20 year finals win drought against Hinkley's Port.

We beat Essendon in the home and away season already so you know exactly what that means for a return bout in finals.

Even if enabled (like this prick has been) no one else in the sport would stick around as long without success, people that care for the greater good can admit to themselves it's stale & they need to walk away.

Amazing we found the biggest selfish arsehole in the entire sport.

I think that is old or not updated. Hold on, the total is on the right hand side.

Bill Stephens is on 258

Hinkley should be on 256. Geelong 257. Hawthorn 258 equal with Bill. Kangaroos 259 and the outright record.

I'm not a Ken defender at all but the record isn't a good indicator of his standing among all coaches, it's simply an indicator of his standing among all coaches to have coaches that many games. Now, whether that says something Even worse is up for debate. I'd argue it reflects more poorly on the club than Ken himself as most coaches are sacked well before they reach this point. We'll never know if there were coaches that would have gone this long without an appearance because they were sacked before they reached this milestone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a Ken defender at all but the record isn't a good indicator of his standing among all coaches, it's simply an indicator of his standing among all coaches to have coaches that many games. Now, whether that says something Even worse is up for debate. I'd argue it reflects more poorly on the club than Ken himself as most coaches are sacked well before they reach this point. We'll never know if there were coaches that would have gone this long without an appearance because they were sacked before they reached this milestone.
I'm sure there have been many coaches who potentially could have broken the record, but had the pride and decency to walk before it came to that.

Craziest record in the game, right at home at Kochie Power.

Almost as good as an upset win for the Roos, and after the game, Ken is seen grinning like a Cheshire cat.

It just shows the degree to which its worse to be stuck festering with a mediocre parasite instead of ripping the bandaid off.

You could argue for example that Mark Neeld helped Melbourne win a flag - Dees recruited Salem in 2013 and Petracca and Brayshaw in 2014, as a result of Neeld's draft picks.

The key is that successful clubs review performance of each staff member and make decisions when the need to be made. At Port we've become a cult, infested with yes men and family members top to bottom now, and nobody gets rid of those in the family.

The Round 11 match on May 25th, 2024 against the corpse that is North Melbourne is going to be a big one for Port Adelaide.

In particular for head coach Ken Hinkley as he achieves a record never before seen in VFL/AFL history.

That's right, in his his 259th game as coach, he officially overtakes Bill Stephen as the coach with the most games without of Grand Final appearance.

Congratulations to Ken, Koch and all the board.
100% deserves its own thread.

If our current boards malaise could be encapsulated in one single fact. It is this one.

A dark era for our club. Disrespecting traditions, forgetting what we exist for (and/or trying to broaden the purpose), shitting on our supporters and showing no gumption or bravery in the search for success, which has seeped through every layer of our fabric and cursed us in an everlasting mediocrity bubble.

Yeah. The relevant record isn't the Bill Stephen one, it's 'most games coached at the same club without a Grand Final'. He's already well and truly broken that. By the time his contract expires, Ken will have been here three and a half years longer than the second longest tenure.
Even if you only consider premierships, so you just concede making a GF means nothing and only winning it means anything, well even in that scenario (which could take longer than just making a GF) well he's leading that count too at a single club.

Even if enabled (like this prick has been) no one else in the sport would stick around as long without success, people that care for the greater good can admit to themselves it's stale & they need to walk away.

Amazing we found the biggest selfish a-hole in the entire sport.
Yeah but when he eventually decides, because lets be honest we aren't going to be the ones to get rid of him, he will be lauded and respected by everyone in the media for calling time and being honest and putting the club first.

"We've got a long way to go to match it with League Powerhouses like Essendon".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back