Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen plenty. Seen a lot of him this season also. I hope you're right and the kids an absolute star. I hope he ends up at Port either way. But not at any cost. So Harletts on the table, fair enough. What about Wingard? Wines? Trengrove? Even Boak?
GWS have talented youngsters coming out of where the sun doesn't shine. A picks only deal is unlikely to do it. They are already going to get yet another good pick this year before any trading. They need players that can play now. And they have an abundance of talls, even if Cameron leaves. So that's really they needs quality smalls to get it to their forwards.

Wingard, Wines, Ebert, Boak, Hartlett, Gray. Being realistic one of these plus our first round pick would most likely be required (plus probably our second round pick or a second less A grade player like Moore, Newton or Logan (if they want a hard nut to protect the kids)).

Boak is obviously not going to go and we wouldn't trade him. Ebert is a great player, but GWS have a secondary marketing need to get fans and help be the public face. Ebert doesn't have that media presence of Gray or Hartlett (pretty boys), Wingard (excitement machine) or Wines (young star to be).

Wingard they wouldn't touch, they already avoided him due to flight risk and wouldn't trust that as soon as any contract he signed was up he wouldn't head straight back to Port.

So that leaves Wines, Hartlett and Gray. From our point of view Hartlett is the most expendable. Gray is the most talented of the lot, but age is a consideration. He'll be 27 next year. Right in the prime for our premiership assault, but on the down slope by the time GWS are likely to be there. Hartlett will be 24 and Wines 20 next season and both would fit GWS's age profile perfectly. They'd ask for Wines firstly, but after Trengove he'd top my list of players you don't trade. He's so massively underrated, even by some Port fans, it's not funny. 14th in contested possessions in his second season. To put that in perspective at 19 the next youngest player is 21 and there's currently only one 21 year old in the top 20 across the whole AFL. He's going to be in the AA side from next year for most of the next decade, we'd be insane to trade him.

So that leaves Hartlett. Hartlett, our first round pick. Then either our second round pick or one of Moore / Newton or Logan. GWS would rather keep him of course, but if he wants out better to do a deal now and get something in return that's not dross then risk getting nothing end of next season. If I was doing the trading from their side I'd take Hartlett, our first pick and Moore. He's got the big body they are screaming out for in the guts.

Carlton are pursuing Tom Mitchell, should we enquire about whether he'd be keen for a move here & what it would cost?

He was drafted from WA where his old man (Barry) was an assistant coach at Freo for a few years but I'm pretty sure he resigned and the family moved back to Melbourne when Tom was drafted.

It would be classic Carlton/Trigg if the first thing they did was offer a job to Tom's father.

I was just thinking GWS have still got to cull players from their list, not sure by how many this season. Now they have an abundance of talent across their whole list and there are future stars and very handy players i am sure that are not getting game time that they would otherwise get at other clubs. This means that these players will may get delisted or seek homes somewhere else. It would be interesting to see at seasons end whether we can recruit one or two of them. I think anthony miles is a great example of this having a great career so far at richmond. So after examining their list of players i have noticed that the following lads haven't played much this season. I haven't taken injury into account but i have left out a couple of blokes like boyd who i know they will keep. If anyone has info about these players position or type and if fit our needs, would be interested to hear views or players not mentioned including gold coast.
Jed Lamb 21y 7 games this season 182cm 83kg
Tim Golds 21y 0 games 4 career games 193cm 86kg
Nathan Wilson 21y 3 games 16 career games 185cm 79kg
Matt Buntine 21y 3 games 12 career games 189cm 86kg
Jonathan Giles 26y 9 games 51 career games 201cm 101kg
Andrew Phillips 23y 1 game 10 career 202cm 98kg
liam sumner 21y 1 game 11 career 177cm 75kg
Zac Williams 20y 5 game 16 career 184cm 81kg
Kristian Jaksch 20y 5game 7 career 196cm 90kg
James Stewart 20y 0 game 1 career 198cm 88kg
Rory Lobb 21y 2 games 2 career 205cm 96kg
Stephen Gilham 30y 1 game 114 career 191cm 90kg
Mark Whiley 22y 0 game 10 career 188cm 87kg
Tom Downie 21y 0 game 1 career 203cm 99kg

Hartlett, our first pick and Moore. So basically, Pick 4, Pick 9 and Pick 15+. Sounds like overs to me. I know Cameron is good, but is he really worth 3 first round draft picks? Say what you want about the development of Hartlett and Moore, but they both would have went first round even if we didn't take them.

And if GWS needs a big bodied midfielder to protect their mids, why don't we need the same?

If I was doing a trade, it'd be Hartlett, our first pick and Newton to West Coast for their second round pick which we trade to GWS who can use to secure a player from a different club. And that's only IF Hartlett was ok with leaving.

Don't fall off the chair but if Jonathan Giles sudden came onto the market I would seriously think about it. We were obviously premature in pushing Giles off our list and he would be the ideal second option for Lobbe while Redden sorts his body out and gets a bit more experience. Cannot see GWS delisting Giles though and he would probably have a few other suitors.

Rucci's comment about Western Bulldogs being interested in Butcher or vice versa was mentioned elsewhere. If that were to eventuate we would have bargaining power as Butcher is still under contract. Before anyone jumps the gun I am not saying trade Butcher for Giles. I am saying that if Butcher wanted to go elsewhere we would have the bargaining power to trade for a good young tall. Personally I think Rucci is on a fishing expedition, he has used the formula, Butcher not getting a game = dissatisfaction = trade.

Sorry about the pun but I am not sure where the talk of Shaw wanting to return West has come from but let us suppose there is an element of truth to it. The WCE have said Scott Lycett is a required player but if Lycett and his management are adamant that he wants to come home there might be room for a trade. I am not too worried about what WCE say about Lycett as no club is going to put up the for sale sign at this stage of the season. The bottom line is that Lycett's management simply have to be strong about a return to SA. The problem with recruiting interstate players like Lycett and Shaw is that one day they all reach free agency and are likely to want to return home anyway. Sometimes clubs have to do the best deal they can before FA day comes.

Seriously, why would any of our top line players agree to be traded to GWS? Forget it. The only way we would get Cameron is if we involved 3rd or 4th parties where we would trade players to WA or Vic and someone from there would end up at GWS. I would expect to get Cameron to Port would be one of the most complicated trade deals ever.

Don't fall off the chair but if Jonathan Giles sudden came onto the market I would seriously think about it. We were obviously premature in pushing Giles off our list and he would be the ideal second option for Lobbe while Redden sorts his body out and gets a bit more experience. Cannot see GWS delisting Giles though and he would probably have a few other suitors.

Rucci's comment about Western Bulldogs being interested in Butcher or vice versa was mentioned elsewhere. If that were to eventuate we would have bargaining power as Butcher is still under contract. Before anyone jumps the gun I am not saying trade Butcher for Giles. I am saying that if Butcher wanted to go elsewhere we would have the bargaining power to trade for a good young tall. Personally I think Rucci is on a fishing expedition, he has used the formula, Butcher not getting a game = dissatisfaction = trade.

Sorry about the pun but I am not sure where the talk of Shaw wanting to return West has come from but let us suppose there is an element of truth to it. The WCE have said Scott Lycett is a required player but if Lycett and his management are adamant that he wants to come home there might be room for a trade. I am not too worried about what WCE say about Lycett as no club is going to put up the for sale sign at this stage of the season. The bottom line is that Lycett's management simply have to be strong about a return to SA. The problem with recruiting interstate players like Lycett and Shaw is that one day they all reach free agency and are likely to want to return home anyway. Sometimes clubs have to do the best deal they can before FA day comes.

The talk of Mason Shaw wanting to go home came from 1 WCE fan trolling us and everyone just assumed he had something to base it on. It think it was a troll as payback for all the Scott Lycett talk. Looked obvious to me at the time.

In a heartbeat.

Carlton gave up a pretty good young KPF in a Josh Kennedy and Pick 3 and 20 for a crocked Chris Judd. I think you're either severely under-rating Wines as a player or severely over-rating Cameron if you think a straight swap would be enough. Wines is 19/20 years old and will be the best player of his draft and quite possibly the best player in the competition in five years.

Yeah. Until Jay retires. Then Cameron = Jay = same boat.

But in the time between now and when Jay retires we bring on another tall KPF like Shaw or Harvey. You could possibly add Butch and Redden to that list and still target a KPF in this years draft.

Getting Cameron now gives us time as he is a ready made AFL KPF.

There is no way any of the players you guys have mentioned will agree to a trade to GWS, especially Hartlett.

For all the people saying Cameron hasn't shown much and isn't playing well this year, do not forget he has had a right ankle injury, a perforated ear drum and also a left ankle injury now. He will be the best KPF for the next ten years without fail. If he was in any top 4 team he would kick 100 goals for the year. God he almost won the Coleman last year in the team that finished dead last.

I expect him to go to the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no way any of the players you guys have mentioned will agree to a trade to GWS, especially Hartlett.

For all the people saying Cameron hasn't shown much and isn't playing well this year, do not forget he has had a right ankle injury, a perforated ear drum and also a left ankle injury now. He will be the best KPF for the next ten years without fail. If he was in any top 4 team he would kick 100 goals for the year. God he almost won the Coleman last year in the team that finished dead last.

I would back Johnathon Patton to be in front of Cameron in a year or two. Then again I have not see Thomas Boyd play yet and he could be in front of both. GWS have key forwards to burn if they want to.

I would back Johnathon Patton to be in front of Cameron in a year or two. Then again I have not see Thomas Boyd play yet and he could be in front of both. GWS have key forwards to burn if they want to.
That's it for GWS. If they were smart they'd trade Cameron now whilst he's no. 1 or 2. His value as no. 3 is going to be less. GWS have been very poor at the trade table though. So far they've assumed stockpile enough young talent and it'll just magically fall into place, with minimal experienced and talented older players to protect and guide all that talent (that they'd need to trade for) being required.

GWS needed an experienced defender this year so they got Heath Shaw. GWS still have some good defenders but they can always do with some experience down back. Neither Carlile or Trengove are going and however much I respect Hombsch the fact is we won't get more than we paid if we try to trade him back. And another draft ick isn't what we need.

Just throwing this out here, personally I can't see us trading a defender to them at all as our defence is on a bit of a tightrope at the moment.

Why do all of you want to destroy the culture within our group?

No way we should trade wines or Hartlett. Culture is the most important thing in a premiership winning side.

Champion team>>>>>>team of champions

I think this is the key. We would do anything to get Cameron as long as it didn't destroy the culture within the group. I don't think making Cameron our highest ever paid player would do this. It's what we would have to give up.

Maybe, if we have more room in our cap than any other team and could offer him say $2,000,000 for next year, we'd be able to get him without losing our soul.

In a heartbeat.

Unbelievable. Cameron has had ONE good year. And has apparently got some injury concerns. Versus Ollie 'Seriously try to ******* hurt me' Wines who has had two GREAT years. Talk about jumping the gun.

Jed Lamb 21y 7 games this season 182cm 83kg traded in from Sydney this year, won't ve delisted
Tim Golds 21y 0 games 4 career games 193cm 86kg would ask him to train
Nathan Wilson 21y 3 games 16 career games 185cm 79kg we do not need
Matt Buntine 21y 3 games 12 career games 189cm 86kgif cut will return to Victoria
Jonathan Giles 26y 9 games 51 career games 201cm 101kgif we can't get anyother mature Ruck, would only rookie list
Andrew Phillips 23y 1 game 10 career 202cm 98kgdefiantly
liam sumner 21y 1 game 11 career 177cm 75kgyes please
Zac Williams 20y 5 game 16 career 184cm 81kgno
Kristian Jaksch 20y 5game 7 career 196cm 90kg where do we sign???
James Stewart 20y 0 game 1 career 198cm 88kgno
Rory Lobb 21y 2 games 2 career 205cm 96kg just drafted, won't ve delisted
Stephen Gilham 30y 1 game 114 career 191cm 90kgwould be ironic
Mark Whiley 22y 0 game 10 career 188cm 87kg no thanks
Tom Downie 21y 0 game 1 career 203cm 99kgno thanks

I would also love O'Rourke

The team he is in is not a factor. Fev kicked 99 goals in a side that won the wooden spoon by 3 games. Camerons a kid, may be the best for a decade, damn good chance that he wont be to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back