Relegation Race

Remove this Banner Ad

You know, just by looking at the first five games, it looked certain that we would be the bottom club. To come out of that in 7th, after that win over Man United, who could blame us for thinking we're destined for a mid-table finish? After all, Newcastle and Reading before us did something similar after their Championship seasons.

Trust Leicester to be the trend breaker.

I always did say that while it's nice to win against the bigger teams, it's the performance against those around that will determine if you're fit to be a Premier League club. As Jatz has said, this is just why we're very disappointed with how this season has gone. We have the right talent to get us to safety, we've just been poorly managed to get the results we need. There is no way that we're the worst team in the Premier League, despite what the table says.

We got ourselves into this mess, we need to dig ourselves out of it.

Can I nominate West Brom for possible relegation discussion?

Palace (a)
Liverpool (h)
Man Utd (a)
Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
Arsenal (a)

And you thought Hull had it tough. Amazing to think what losing to QPR and us can do, conceding seven goals in those two games. They had four centre halves against us, and they looked wonky for the best part (Olssen and Lescott look dodgy as all heck).

Of course, still a lot to play for, but I would really like to see Pulis lose his record.

I always had West Brom in the relegation race but ouch! They're in more trouble than I thought, given their horror form, the only potential points there are against Newcastle. Certainly makes things interesting in and further evidence that the relegation race is more exciting than the title race atm.

Because they may not have anything to play for. Dont care what you say, there's less motivation for teams with nothing to play for.

Whether that means they get a result is a different matter of course. Just that it's more likely than getting a result if they're still fighting for something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burnley is the obvious one but i think you need points from someone else as well. Maybe Tottenham if they can't make Europe by that stage?

We actually have a very good record against Spurs. Lost in the last five minutes in the game last year at WHL from an iffy penalty, and drew at home, have never conceded a goal at WHL from open play in the PL, and were on top this year before a red card. So I'm still holding out hope we can get points from that. Maybe Liverpool at home as well.

Why do people think teams will roll over if they have nothing to play for?

Not so much that as a side like Hull having a lot more to play for and players who have nothing on the line less likely to go in for a 50/50 challenge etc.

Everyone around us seems to have a hard run home. I'm actually thinking we might possibly be able to escape. It would be completely un Leicester but still!

I think there's a good chance we could come 20th which would be crazy haha.

Surely not. QPR have a tough run i think. And im still expecting to be relegated. It's so hard to pick ha!

We played a lot better against Soton, and I think if we'd played natural full backs instead of four centre backs we could have taken something, so I think the team is starting to take shape, so we might yet turn our form around, but I think we're leaving it quite late. Maybe dropping into the relegation zone will be the jolt we need to make it hit home we're really battling. QPR have a tough run but they only need three points to go ahead of us, and we may yet not pick up another point.

The ones that manage to get out of relegation trouble generally do so by lifting their own standards, not hope others drop.

You always get a side well and truly in the relegation crapper, that fight their way out of it. They're generally the toughest to play at this time of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back