RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree about cancelling. I'm sure Phil would want them to continue their hard work but I think AFC need to have some time for peace and grieving. They've gone through a lot.

Maybe, could see them cancelling this week. However the competition must go on. No issue with the crows game being called off.

Maybe it is the way I have been brought up, but I firmly believe the Crows winning (and for that matter making the finals) would be the best celebration of Phil Walsh. Maybe it is me though, and I won't hold anything against the Crows/Cats if they cancel it.

Rest in Peace.

yeah it is a tough one... but geez so close to the game you would wonder if the players would be in the right mindset to prepare & compete. Will be interesting to see how the club responds to this tragic news

sorry i dislike when people use that cliche (nothing personal against you or those who use it). it suggests a contrary point of view - the game cancelled - is selfish.
we will never know.
I agree. Phil Walsh is now dead. While everyone who knew and loved him would want to honour him that doesn't mean they are capable of that right now.

As harsh as it sounds life is about the living. We need to think about their feelings and capabilities. Phil Walsh no longer has wants and desires. I hope when I die my loved ones do what they need to do.

I guess it's the nature of the internet, but there are some really stupid posts in this thread.

Arbiter of stupid. You are on the internet, and the "nature of the internet" comes from people in society speaking through it.

So the posts are a reflection of Australian people and their many reactions. You seem to want to differentiate it when its all just people from our country speaking.

A lot of people could argue you are being in this thread with your rant about other posters, as divergent to the meaning of the event, and honouring Phil's memory, as the people speculating nonsense. Now I can be accused of it too.

Said it earlier, but Walsh played at Collingwood, Richmond and Brisbane. He also coached at Geelong, Port Adelaide, West Coast and Adelaide. There would be people he has worked with in a playing or coaching capacity at almost every single club in the league.

Your last line is ridiculous. I know for a fact that most people don't go to work on the day they find out someone close to them has passed away under any circumstances, let alone in such a tragic manner.

Yeah except that those that don't go to work the day after someone closed to them has passed is limited to a small number.

In the AFL there are 1000's of people involved, do you seriously propose that every time something tragic happens to a player or a beloved figure in the game then we should be cancelling games or rounds?

Think of it in terms of a big organisations, would a huge company that employs thousands of workers in many different departments cancel work for the day when one of its employers is cut down by tragedy in their private lives? No they wouldn't, they might if that employee was murdered during work hours, but they don't definitely cancel work for the day of an employee was murdered in their private life.

Same with AFL, Walsh was cut down at home in his private life, why should AFL cease for as week every time someone involved in AFL has a tragic event in their private life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah it is a tough one... but geez so close to the game you would wonder if the players would be in the right mindset to prepare & compete. Will be interesting to see how the club responds to this tragic news

That is the thing. Honestly very few of us know the players and we are taking a guess. Their welfare is the number 1 priority. However we can't just cancel games every week. No issue this week though, purely as the game is 2 days away.

That is the thing. Honestly very few of us know the players and we are taking a guess. Their welfare is the number 1 priority. However we can't just cancel games every week. No issue this week though, purely as the game is 2 days away.

yep...purely a wait and see what the players/crows want to do I would have thought. Lots of pointless speculation as to what should happen atm

How about we put away the mental health cards until we know the full story?
Yep. It has the potential to kick on to people with mental health issues unfairly. We already have a corner of football media now putting the incident on drug use. Doesn't take long thereafter for some to confuse the two concepts.

i think there's no doubt the crows game will be postponed. can't be fair to have players play a few days after their leader is tragically murdered. i'm sure the whole league will be understanding of whatever schedule changes need to be made. at this point the football season is secondary.

Really liked the guy in the presser. I guess thats because its the most we neutrals ever got to see him speak. And his thoughts and ways of seeing things. His mantras and way of going about it.

Already feeling like from that small perspective we've lost a genuine supremely mature elder statesmen from our game.

its just crazy to log on and see this thread title... real numb feeling
I first saw the terrible news on Facebook. A Crows supporter in our club posted that Phil Walsh had passed away.

I immediately thought heart attack, car accident......................

As if the shock of his passing wasn't bad enough, then I found out he had been murdered.

:(

Tragic news for the family, but sadly most cops will tell you this is not really that WTF at all, literally hundreds of people die in family violence incidents in Australia each year.

I first saw the terrible news on Facebook. A Crows supporter in our club posted that Phil Walsh had passed away.

I immediately thought heart attack, car accident......................

As if the shock of his passing wasn't bad enough, then I found out he had been murdered.

:(

I saw it on facebook and embarrassed to admit but thought the headline was just some sick joke with crows and murder and all that, took my breath away it was real..:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back