Preview Rnd 1 - Carlton vs Richmond Thursday 2nd April 7.20PM @ MCG - TEAM post #821

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatan

Premiership Player
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton vs Richmond

Round 1
(7:20pm, M.C.G)

Carlton

FB: 6.Simpson 40. Jamison 18. Jaksch

HB: 13.Yarran 17.Rowe 15.Docherty

C: 39. Thomas 5.Judd 12.Gibbs

HF: 33.Everitt 23. Henderson 12.Boekhorst

FF: 14.Jones 41.Casboult 2.Menzel

FOL: 36.Wood 3. Murphy 9.Cripps

INT: 44.Carrazzo 35.Curnow 28.Bell

Sub: 25.Tutt

Last Time We Met..

Richmond held off a late challenge by Carlton to win by 12 points. Six months earlier, they had given up a 35 point lead in the third quarter to lose their first final in 12 years to the Blues.

Team Selection..

Defense: The biggest story so far in the pre-season has been the form and promise shown by Kristian Jacksch. There were questions raised about whether he could slot straight into the team but there will be little doubt that he's deserving of a starting role after his performances against West Coast and Collingwood respectively. After the final NAB cup game, Mick stated Richmond may give us the opportunity to play all three of Jamison, Jaksch and Rowe from the onset.

The other position up for grabs will be that of Docherty who showed a bit last season after missing the beginning of his time at Carlton through injury. I expect Tuohy to fight it out with him for that final spot but it's anyone's guess as to who starts this game. The run and penetration from Yarran and Simpson will be critical in how well we move the ball through the backline to the midfield and beyond.

Midfield: We can pencil in Judd, Gibbs, Murphy, Curnow, Cripps and Carrazzo for round one barring any mishaps in the next two weeks. Around the edges and on the wings we'll see Thomas who by all reports has been stellar on the training track and has gotten some game time under his belt vs Geelong after being wrapped up in cotton wool for most of pre-season.

The most intriguing choice will be whether Boekhorst is picked for this game. He's played all three games so far in the NAB cup and has shown glimpses of what he was brought in for. All signs point to him playing round one whether it be in the initial 21 or as the sub.

Forward: The tough choice; Watson or Casboult? I think this has been the most divisive team selection issue throughout the pre-season. Watson has sort of come out of no where to be in contention for the forward role at the back end of last season. He has a booming, accurate and penetrating kick and a decent overhead mark and the positional change appears to have breathed new life into him after his unconvincing performances down back. But he cannot ruck which brings us onto Casboult - one of the best overhead marks in the game and a decent back-up ruckman, but the glaring issue is his kicking; he may improve but at the moment it's 50/50 in which direction the ball will actually go off the boot.

The rest of the forward line essentially picks itself with Henderson, Jones and Menzel guaranteed a start and Everitt, Thomas, Boekhorst and Tutt rotating in and out between midfield, half forward and deep pocket positions. Another Possibility may be Smith to get his debut but while unlikely, I have a hard time seeing him slot in as anything other than the substitute at this early stage in his career.

Interesting Match Ups..

Reiwoldt: Will most likely be matched up by Jamison but it will need to be a team effort by the back six to keep his impact to a minimum. I would like to see Jaksch dropping back in the hole at every given opportunity to give Jamison the chop out and give us a 2vs1 in any marking contest.

Cotchin: It will be interesting to see who matches up on Cotchin; quite possibly Curnow and Carrazzo will be rotating through him trying to keep him as honest as possible while getting a few touches themselves and hurting him going the other way. He's unlikely to have a quiet game but keeping his influence in check will be imperative on the night.

Martin: This is the player who, in my opinion, poses the biggest threat to us on the night as he's so damaging through the midfield and pushing forward. Can Gibbs follow Martin around all night and use his skills to punish him when we're in possession and then also go back and take him one-on-one in a marking contest? If this is the match up we go with, it could potentially play a huge role in the outcome of the match.

Prediction..

The trend has been the Tigers starting strong with Carlton coming back late on to challenge in recent meetings. In this game, I think it will be a lot closer throughout the match with neither team breaking away and...... oh what the hell - Blues by 6 because **** Richmond.

Note: I will be editing in the Richmond team as soon as I can get an idea of the injuries and starting 22 from the Richmond board (sorry I haven't done this as yet but time hasn't been on my side lately).

Last edited:

Yewwwww it's time!

Will be interesting to see how the Tiges line up, seems most think only one of Griffiths/Vickery play, probably Griffiths.

They'll be playing Astbury, Rance and Chaplin though...Rance is an excellent defender and Waite who usually beat him comprehensively has left Hendo to take Rance. Chaplin will probably break even with the other forward but I feel we have a chance of getting a few goals on Astbury. The flankers would then probably be Houli, Ellis, Vlastuin and one of McIntosh/Bachelor/Grimes...feel Menzel can get a few goals on the defensive flanker here. Need to keep Ellis quiet though, he kicked a couple on us IIRC.

It will get tricky with White and Jaksch in the side if they only go with Jack and Griffiths and we'll need strong speedy defenders to run around on Deledio and Martin.

My Round 1 side is:

Tuohy, Jamison, Jaksch
Yarran, Rowe, Simpson
Murphy, Judd, Gibbs
Thomas, Henderson, Everitt
Casboult, Jones, Menzel
Warnock, Cripps, Carrazzo
Docherty, Bell, Curnow, White (s)

EMG: Smith, Tutt, Boekhorst

Yewwwww it's time!

Will be interesting to see how the Tiges line up, seems most think only one of Griffiths/Vickery play, probably Griffiths.

They'll be playing Astbury, Rance and Chaplin though...Rance is an excellent defender and Waite who usually beat him comprehensively has left Hendo to take Rance. Chaplin will probably break even with the other forward but I feel we have a chance of getting a few goals on Astbury. The flankers would then probably be Houli, Ellis, Vlastuin and one of McIntosh/Bachelor/Grimes...feel Menzel can get a few goals on the defensive flanker here. Need to keep Ellis quiet though, he kicked a couple on us IIRC.

It will get tricky with White and Jaksch in the side if they only go with Jack and Griffiths and we'll need strong speedy defenders to run around on Deledio and Martin.

My Round 1 side is:

Tuohy, Jamison, Jaksch
Yarran, Rowe, Simpson
Murphy, Judd, Gibbs
Thomas, Henderson, Everitt
Casboult, Jones, Menzel
Warnock, Cripps, Carrazzo
Docherty, Bell, Curnow, White (s)

EMG: Smith, Tutt, Boekhorst

I changed my line up about 5 times with White finally dropping out; he was a lock 3 NAB games ago until Jaksch hit the scene and then I figured the sub is someone who comes into the game and adds pace and run which is certainly not White. Mick does like him though so who knows.

Tuohy, Jamison, Jaksch
Yarran, Rowe, Docherty
Thomas, Gibbs, Simpson
Bell, Casboult, Everitt
Menzel, Henderson, Jones

R: Warnock RR: Judd RO: Murphy
INT: Cripps, White, Carazzo

S: Boekhurst

EMG: Smith, Tutt, Curnow

Richmond's midfield is extremely solid on paper at least so this won't be a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination.

Imo Curnow may play a hard tag on Ellis off a wing. Ellis is the link man for Richmond and runs all day and accumulates. Great young player. Curnow to match motors with him and hopefully nullify his impact.

We go head to head onball with them bar Curnow/Ellis.

White to play half back and play hard n tough on Delidio or Lennon when they are forward.

Yarran to treat "defensive forward" Morris with disdain and dominate.

I have Richmond a few places ahead of us on the ladder this year.

For this game though: $1.90 each of two.

Always a great season opener for all footy fans. Bring it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I changed my line up about 5 times with White finally dropping out; he was a lock 3 NAB games ago until Jaksch hit the scene and then I figured the sub is someone who comes into the game and adds pace and run which is certainly not White. Mick does like him though so who knows.

White will be playing as a utility this year so he will likely get a spot somewhere.

Big bodied mid or medium forward/defender.

Excellent preview Zlatan.
i feel as though winning this first game is more important than it has been for us in the last few years. A win against a top eight side from last year will be a good confidence boost for the first half of the year. I think we have been fortunate through the NAB challenge to look at a variety of different team combinations and most have had a good pre season.
I expect us to get over the tiges by 20 points.

Yeah - thinking I have missed something! Is he in the mix for selection Rd 1? Is he injured? Someone please explain?
From what I understand he is not injured and played with the NB's on the weekend... I suspect he is not in the mix for selection.

Will be interesting to see who we pick... Definite Ruck at this stage for me is Wood (supported by Cas)... Potential for one of Curnow or Carrots to miss and opt for a bit more speed or X factor (Smith, Boekhurst, Armfield, Buckley)...

Potential for one of Curnow or Carrots to miss and opt for a bit more speed or X factor (Smith, Boekhurst, Armfield, Buckley)...

Ed and Andy find their own footy. I wouldn't omit ball-winners who tackle hard and regularly clock up in excess of 20 possessions.

X-factor is nice but none of the 4 you mention demand a game ahead of those two.

I have no qualms about giving Blaine or Clem the sub vest, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back