Analysis Road to 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcqualter wasn't bad in 2009 his qualifying final against Collingwood was really strong.

Still yes i hope we really get a quality team that gels well. Reading the article on Bruce today makes me excited that we stole what could be a great kpf in the making.

Well you won't be able to fit everyone in. What I am seeing is that the club is intent on recruiting highly skilled players. This can only mean that lesser skilled players will be forced out.

The more skilled players, the stronger you will be.

Realistically, you won't get 22 A-grade players, but it will always come down to your bottom 6 and how good they really are. It also comes down to midfield depth.

You want everyone to succeed but it just won't happen. Saunders is a classic case. The kid can play and has pace, but he struggles to get a game because we have players with better skills. Curren is the other one that comes to mind. I also have doubts on Wright. Love the way he goes about it, but will near enough be good enough in the future?

As I mentioned t you, the club is well aware of clubs like GWS and their elite talent pool, so they are working to increase our talent pool to try and match them, if we are to be a genuine chance.

Also injuries will play their part and we need faithful foot soldiers like Curren and Saunders to play in the event of injuries as well as players like (eventually) Geary and even Simpkin etc

Position we need to look at replacing is the one Dempster/Fisher/Gilbert play IMO.

Usually one of them go to a KPF but the other two defend that third tall or can go small.

Obviously got Goddard who is a logical replacement for say fisher but unsure if anyone on the list can logically come I'm as that athletic defender.

Also as mentioned by many, just keep making that midfield rotation deeper.

I can still see Membrey become a big body mid for us if he can build his endurance.

Would also like to see enough talent brought in to to force out Geary... or at the very least, render him as a fringe player.

Can't agree on either points.

Have watched a fair bit of Membery over the past 2 yrs and he is a true natural forward. Nothing I've seen him do over that period has really suggested to me that he is likely to move into the midfield. If he continue to develops he will be a good St Kilda player for a long time.

On Geary, I think as a supporter base we are unfair to him. He is fantastic defensively. Whenever given a job he rarely loses, has an exceptional tank and can even run with mids.

He has the reputation as being a bad kick, and granted he can spray a couple however I think because we are often looking out for them, they're highlighted by people on here.

He provides great run out of defence, something we do struggle with and has improved at finding the footy. He brings a steady head to the backline and is obviously is obviously rated as a leader. would be very surprised to see him drop out of the side any time soon.

Can't agree on either points.

Have watched a fair bit of Membery over the past 2 yrs and he is a true natural forward. Nothing I've seen him do over that period has really suggested to me that he is likely to move into the midfield. If he continue to develops he will be a good St Kilda player for a long time.

On Geary, I think as a supporter base we are unfair to him. He is fantastic defensively. Whenever given a job he rarely loses, has an exceptional tank and can even run with mids.

He has the reputation as being a bad kick, and granted he can spray a couple however I think because we are often looking out for them, they're highlighted by people on here.

He provides great run out of defence, something we do struggle with and has improved at finding the footy. He brings a steady head to the backline and is obviously is obviously rated as a leader. would be very surprised to see him drop out of the side any time soon.

Thanks for the heads up on Membrey.

As for Geary...

In 2009 / 2010 we had too many role players. My view is that you need to get as many high skilled players into your 22 as possible. This is the way the game is trending.

I'm not saying that Geary is a poor player, but if you get someone who is better and improves the team, then lesser skilled players will get pushed down the pecking order. Same goes for Gilbert and a few others.

The club is looking to build an elite talent pool along the lines of GWS.

That said, if Geary is relegated to bottom 6 then we will be in a very strong position.

Just quietly the way we're going now I reckon we could build a premiership team with a #1 pick as a depth player. Not that it'll happen - Paddy will be best 22 - but Hickey, Bruce, Membrey look like a handy trio.

Bruce has to be most improved player in the AFL

I only said yesterday that Armitage would have to be but you are probably right.

Armo only ever had. 3 30 plus possession games over his career until this year where he already has 5, averaging over 30.

Bruce has come from no where though, I did no think it was a great idea playing him forward to be honest, glad to admit I was wrong there!

I only said yesterday that Armitage would have to be but you are probably right.

Armo only ever had. 3 30 plus possession games over his career until this year where he already has 5, averaging over 30.

Bruce has come from no where though, I did no think it was a great idea playing him forward to be honest, glad to admit I was wrong there!
You're not the only one.

NAB 1 I was questioning it because he didn't look confident in taking set shots at goal when he had a few chances.

I've been proven wrong though!

Just quietly the way we're going now I reckon we could build a premiership team with a #1 pick as a depth player. Not that it'll happen - Paddy will be best 22 - but Hickey, Bruce, Membrey look like a handy trio.

Pretty excited about the Bruce/McCartin duo.

Membrey will be a good third tall and Hickey has be pretty good since playing forward. We definitely don't need to look for key forwards in the draft.

Armo is in great form but he has been building for a couple years. Early Last year i was worried bruce was gonna be average at best but this year he is a genuine A Grade forward our club has been very good at finding fwds for a long time now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the heads up on Membrey.

As for Geary...

In 2009 / 2010 we had too many role players. My view is that you need to get as many high skilled players into your 22 as possible. This is the way the game is trending.

I'm not saying that Geary is a poor player, but if you get someone who is better and improves the team, then lesser skilled players will get pushed down the pecking order. Same goes for Gilbert and a few others.

The club is looking to build an elite talent pool along the lines of GWS.

That said, if Geary is relegated to bottom 6 then we will be in a very strong position.
Its true look at billing who is suppose to be an elite kick. His best and worst kicking is So erratic it worries me. He may win a few games here and there and hit targets. But when hes off its very frustrating I would prefer a so called elite kick to be just that.

Its not even the fact he has moved up forward and has been successful, its that he has kicked 5+ goals in three games of seven so far. That's damn impressive from any forward letalone one who hasnt done it before at AFL level really.

Its true look at billing who is suppose to be an elite kick. His best and worst kicking is So erratic it worries me. He may win a few games here and there and hit targets. But when hes off its very frustrating I would prefer a so called elite kick to be just that.
I would start worrying about it after he is past 50 games which wont even be until the end of next year.

Fear not, nobody is an elite kick after only 20 games.

Fear not, nobody is an elite kick after only 20 games.
He was last year after 0 games, I think it's just that he's a) receiving more attention this year and b) a bit more tired towards the end of games because he's starting to run through the midfield. Dude was rated the best left foot kick in the league last year, he'll be back there eventually.

He was last year after 0 games, I think it's just that he's a) receiving more attention this year and b) a bit more tired towards the end of games because he's starting to run through the midfield. Dude was rated the best left foot kick in the league last year, he'll be back there eventually.
No doubt he will but my point is very rarely does a player come into the AFL and start consistently pin pointing kicks, takes time to get used to AFL pressure, which kicks to take and which not to, extra preseasons like you touched on. We'll start seeing his right foot more as well after all that IMO.

If you want a real shake, then the foot soldiers have to be B-grade.

I still have a bit of hope that Saunders and Wright will become decent players. I think they are probably likely to get another year but they are the type we could do with, outside runners who can carry the ball forward. I think Ross will get some time in the seniors this year and if even one makes it to a high level we are getting another midfielder /winger and we should draft a couple and hopefully add a couple via trade FA. We need some quick quality so improvement from existing guys or bringing in a ready made is probably going to have the most immediate impact. If you can have 3 guys playing at a high level in the VFL it makes you a very strong midfield and make covering injury easier.

I would define a foot soldier as non-elite; unable to reach the highest echelon regardless of effort. Among the non-KPPs we have, this category (IMO) would include Templeton, Ross, Geary, Newnes, Ray, Curren, Wright, Saunders, Shenton & Weller.

Some are excellent foot soldiers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back