News Rob Kerr takes up new role at Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm yet to see what the breakdown of responsibility between Kerr and Conole is. Kerr is list manager, but Conole is Head of Recruitment.

I've always found it hard to accept people apportioning blame/praise based on the muddiness of the waters.

Not this myth again...

Thought the same thing. Clayton and Beatson built that list and Shane Johnson ran a brilliant welfare/development program and kept them together.

I think its too hard to tell, its more of a partnership between list manager and head recruiter. Really they have to be working together to decide on what the list needs, what the wants of the club are and comparing that to likely players in the draft and identifying talent. The only things that would be more down to Kerr and his role is the trade and contract side of things.

Its why I think you can get away with a good list manager, even if they cant identify talent, as long as you have good drafting and recruiting staff. Kerr did seem to put his opinions in on draftees, so its hard to tell who is picking who. I just hope we can keep our strong drafting up, and really half the battle of that is having decent picks to use, which is something Kerr was able to do for us.

Haha ok - schwabby obviously didn't work out in the coaches box, was always a strange and rather dull appointment IMO. Love the bloke, but having had a rather fruitless coaching career and a while out of the game it never made sense to me or sat with me well. This role seems more suited. s**t, has a senior assistant ever been hired mid season? Worsfold please!

Also fully support the coaches revamp idea, much needed.. Seems the had to move ol Pete to that position while it was available to save face. I suppose more will follow in the coming off season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing we wouldn't have the money to go out and poach a big name.

As difficult as it is for me to say but............ Gary Ayres?

I think it might be a bit of horses for courses. Probably better chance at hitting an experienced senior assistant than getting a big name list manager. Also if Schwab can perform that role, than the reshuffle makes sense. TBH, im just happy to bring in more footy brains to the club, in any and all positions. Also getting in more outsiders with fresh views is also good.

Worth noting the article in the CM says Leppa will have a blank cheque to get a senior assistant. So it seems that os where we want to spend our money. Considering our budget coaching panel including first time head coach, on balance I dont mind this move. Fresh experienced coach from outside the club.

Too bad this guy has passed away...

tumblr_lqq0m35wIU1qa5ui1o1_250.gif

Also fully support the coaches revamp idea, much needed.. Seems the had to move ol Pete to that position while it was available to save face. I suppose more will follow in the coming off season

You seem to have a lot of inside knowledge. Do go on.

Don't laugh but the people I know around Albury have nothing but praise for Aker's coaching and mentoring abilities. I accept that Leigh would be the major stumbling block there though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back