USA Roe, the evangelicals and the war on choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you saying that their are anti-choice states that haven't changed governing party for decades? I lived in the NT for 20 years and was there for the first ever non liberal government. I know it can happen, but don't have that depth of knowledge on US state politics. Or any knowledge really. I'd be interested to know how many governments are governing having actually lost the popular vote. I think it happened a couple of elections ago in SA and maybe federally as well. But it's rare.
remembering that a major difficulty in the USA system is the non compulsory nature of their vote, as well as barriers to being allowed to vote, even before you get to the issue of gerrymandering

This appears to be a relatively balanced summary of the current state of play there in terms of how they draw up districts for representatives, you can see that 44 of these are in the control of the politicians themselves with only 6 states using independent commissions. Governors can also veto changes in many of the states.

And this article (from 2014)

"The paper, “The Dynamics of State Policy Liberalism, 1936-2014,” is being published in the forthcoming issue of the American Journal of Political Science.

To conduct the study, Warshaw and Caughey — along with research assistants at MIT — examined 148 different state-level policy issues, evaluating each state’s position on them. To be sure, not all of those policy issues existed throughout the period studied; abortion rights, for instance, barely registered at the state level until the 1970s. Thus the political ideology that the scholars assigned to each state is derived from a set of issues — of which many, but not all, overlap at any given time.

Perhaps defying the basic intuition of some observers, Warshaw and Caughey found that state-level politics have been essentially “one-dimensional” from the 1930s onward — that is, if a state has conservative policies on economic issues, for instance, it will also have conservative policies on social issues."

answered incorrectly. Partisan politicians are much preferred to partisan judges, we get to vote on politicians every 3 or so years. People complaining that a right/left balance of power change resulted in law being repealed is hilarious. You loved the 'system' when it resulted in outcomes that suited your particular bent, but then there's something wrong with it when it doesn't.

In terms of states where abortion remains a criminal act, noting that it was only a year or so ago that South Australia decriminalised abortion, if the voting public demand it, it will be done. And if not, and a citizen wants the right to something not allowable under that jurisdiction's legislature, then they are free to relocate to where it is. We are all burdened by governments that, throughout our lives, make decisions we strongly disagree with. But again, I much rather an elected government than an appointed lawyer.
Partisan politicians and Presidents, nominate and vote in judges in America!
It seems to be a badge of honour as to how many judges are appointed under each President.

The total number of Trump Article III judgeship nominees to be confirmed by the United States Senate was 234, including three associate justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, 54 judges for the United States courts of appeals, 174 judges for the United States district courts, and three judges for the United States Court of International Trade.

Biden is on track to beat that excluded Supreme Court Judges.

did they though? I've read what their views were when asked ...

I actually watched the confirmation hearings of the latest 3 judges and all swore under oath when asked...

'Roe v Wade is settled Law'. They lied!

I watch more USA news and senate hearings than I do Australian.

Whatever partisan party is in at the time appoints these judges which a high number are lifetime appointments and can only be removed by impeachment.

remembering that a major difficulty in the USA system is the non compulsory nature of their vote, as well as barriers to being allowed to vote, even before you get to the issue of gerrymandering

This appears to be a relatively balanced summary of the current state of play there in terms of how they draw up districts for representatives, you can see that 44 of these are in the control of the politicians themselves with only 6 states using independent commissions. Governors can also veto changes in many of the states.

And this article (from 2014)

"The paper, “The Dynamics of State Policy Liberalism, 1936-2014,” is being published in the forthcoming issue of the American Journal of Political Science.

To conduct the study, Warshaw and Caughey — along with research assistants at MIT — examined 148 different state-level policy issues, evaluating each state’s position on them. To be sure, not all of those policy issues existed throughout the period studied; abortion rights, for instance, barely registered at the state level until the 1970s. Thus the political ideology that the scholars assigned to each state is derived from a set of issues — of which many, but not all, overlap at any given time.

Perhaps defying the basic intuition of some observers, Warshaw and Caughey found that state-level politics have been essentially “one-dimensional” from the 1930s onward — that is, if a state has conservative policies on economic issues, for instance, it will also have conservative policies on social issues."

That seems to be a lot of information. My question was simply with regards to the statement of gerrymandering. So I ask again, are there states that have governments which didn't win the popular vote? And are these states anti-choice? Try not to copy/paste from your FB feed. You provided a statement that implied an understanding, just avail me of the raw information that you used to arrive at your view.

Partisan politicians and Presidents, nominate and vote in judges in America!
It seems to be a badge of honour as to how many judges are appointed under each President.

The total number of Trump Article III judgeship nominees to be confirmed by the United States Senate was 234, including three associate justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, 54 judges for the United States courts of appeals, 174 judges for the United States district courts, and three judges for the United States Court of International Trade.

Biden is on track to beat that excluded Supreme Court Judges.

I actually watched the confirmation hearings of the latest 3 judges and all swore under oath when asked...

'Roe v Wade is settled Law'. They lied!

I watch more USA news and senate hearings than I do Australian.

Whatever partisan party is in at the time appoints these judges which a high number are lifetime appointments and can only be removed by impeachment.

provide the quotes that arrived you at your view. I bet it's easy to prove you're wrong.

Once again Texas is leading the charge on killing and controlling women.

Jesus :oops:

In a brazen dismissal of the court’s decision, Paxton wrote that the judge’s order “will not insulate hospitals, doctors or anyone else from civil and criminal liability”.

Paxton also wrote that the hospital where Cox obtains an abortion “may be liable for negligent credentialing the physician” who performs the procedure.

The Center for Reproductive Rights filed a lawsuit on behalf of Cox after she learned last week that her fetus has trisomy 18, a fatal chromosomal condition, as well as other health issues, including a spinal abnormality. Continuing the pregnancy could threaten Cox’s life and future fertility. The 31-year-old mother of two has already rushed to the emergency room four times with severe cramping and fluid loss, but doctors have told her that their hands are tied by the state laws.
Risking the life of a mother of 2 coz they're so ideologically head****ed they won't allow her to terminate a non-viable pregnancy. So "pro life" :drunk:

All going well eh Stokey?

Last edited:
That seems to be a lot of information. My question was simply with regards to the statement of gerrymandering. So I ask again, are there states that have governments which didn't win the popular vote?
How about 3 of the SC judges that enabled the RvW overturn being appointed by a bloke who lost 2 popular votes? Any thoughts there?

did they though?
Yes.

When you call something "settled law" you don't then go and overturn that law.

That indicates you never thought the law was settled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just until another procedure takes place:

The US supreme court on Friday allowed Idaho to enforce its strict abortion ban, even in medical emergencies, while a legal fight continues.

The justices said they would hear arguments in April and put on hold a lower court ruling that had blocked the Idaho law in hospital emergencies, based on a lawsuit filed by the Biden administration.

11 year old shot in Iowa, going back to school last week.

“Pro-life” only when it’s a woman’s medical decision.
There's an irony here.
Trump said to Iowa, get over it, it's not a gun issue.
The Supreme Court said to American women, get over it, it's not a male penis issue.

Interesting hearing coming up.

The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on March 26 in the case that could significantly curtail access to a prescription drug used for both abortions and miscarriage care.

The case centers on when and how patients can access mifepristone, a pharmaceutical the U.S. Food and Drug Administration originally approved in 2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back