Rookie Pick #28 Welcome to Carlton ... Cameron Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't care to discuss that on your board as it can only go one way but is that right or just a bit of fuel thrown my way?

That's what I was semi-alluding towards when I originally said that I was angered by the selection because of what I had been told previously. However, having had an opportunity to shoot a few e-mails back and forth with the Pies member that I used to live with he convinced me that anything behavioral was because he was always so hard on himself ("no larger critic than himself") and that when he did get down his perception of self worth suffered and his efforts on the track were a direct result. Not an uncommon thing to have happen. At this rate judging strictly by his Twitter response I get the feeling that he never expected to get drafted, is absolutely over the moon to have gotten another opportunity and will know that he has absolutely no pressure on him. It could possibly be the best thing to have happened for him.

I'm less concerned about the selection having had that discussion and reading his tweet.

6 pages of this thread demonstrates that we (including myself) were looking for the slightest thing that could be perceived as a negative to happen to the club this off-season. That this is it signifies the strength of our recruiting, etc. since the season ended. On that note, well done Blues.

Appreciate the time in posting. The thing is it doesn't really need to work...Carlton aren't banking on Wood playing any sort of key role. He needs to be competitive at VFL level, and provide a contest at AFL level if and when called upon.

All we are trying to avoid here is the Casboult v Minson type scenarioss...from memory we lost that one 55 to 9.

Yeah this makes sense however the issue for me with this pick is that at the Pies when he was called upon on several occasions he failed to provide a contest and we got smashed as a consequence. As I said the ability is there, but given his role appears to be "insurance" I'd prefer to go with a player who is perhaps less talented but guaranteed to provide at least a contest at senior AFL level.

Interesting that you have someone on your board suggesting that he has poor attitude at training and has off-field issues.

Don't care to discuss that on your board as it can only go one way but is that right or just a bit of fuel thrown my way?

Reckon supporters of all teams are particularly savage on talented players who don't get the best out of themselves. Grigg factor.

Appreciate the time in posting. The thing is it doesn't really need to work...Carlton aren't banking on Wood playing any sort of key role. He needs to be competitive at VFL level, and provide a contest at AFL level if and when called upon.

All we are trying to avoid here is the Casboult v Minson type scenarioss...from memory we lost that one 55 to 9.

Yet still one the game :) Most inexperience Carlton team I can remember. Yazz putting the ball under his arm and running through the center square was a beautiful sight though.

Yeah this makes sense however the issue for me with this pick is that at the Pies when he was called upon on several occasions he failed to provide a contest and we got smashed as a consequence. As I said the ability is there, but given his role appears to be "insurance" I'd prefer to go with a player who is perhaps less talented but guaranteed to provide at least a contest at senior AFL level.

Fair enough. I suppose the difference is he was second banana at Collingwood. He'll be third in line at Carlton...my expectations are more in line with what you might have expected from Ceglar if he was needed.

I remember I once labelled Woods the worst footballers in the whole league...
At least he look good in blue...everyone looks better in blue

Worth comparing it to the Jordan Russel to Collingwood thread...nothing but good will from Carlton supporters.

Stay classy Collingwood.

Just like comparing the Betts to Adelaide thread to the Thomas to Carlton thread. Hardly any difference at all.

Why am I feeling that this is just a Cameron Cloke type selection to give us cover just in case... and considering that Kreuzer is currently on the injured list, I am hoping that he (Kreuzer) isnt going to be breaking down a lot over the coming 12 months forcing us to utilise Cameron.

I am sure that Casboult and Giles would both offer more as backup ruckmen than Wood does.

But on a positive note, welcome to Carlton Cameron... I hope that your career with us is successful.

Well that was a bit left field but i guess the club wanted an experienced back up. I would have preferred a young project ruckman personally but good on him for getting another chance and good luck at the mighty Blues. Hopefully he really finds his feet :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Pies thread has been claiming almost from the outset that the news was well received, even suggesting that there hopes for Wood. Sorry we didn't have a complete meltdown for them.

Also want to point out to reading Pies fans that you won't get infracted for merely posting here. A little bit of respect and obvious lighthearted humour from genuine posters is always welcome. Some like to claim they got infracted for nothing but that is seldom true.

Also want to point out to reading Pies fans that you won't get infracted for merely posting here. A little bit of respect and obvious lighthearted humour from genuine posters is always welcome. Some like to claim they got infracted for nothing but that is seldom true.

Would like to say that some of the stuff contributed by Pies fans in this thread has been well received and greatly appreciated. Thank you to those posters. :thumbsu:

Would like to say that some of the stuff contributed by Pies fans in this thread has been well received and greatly appreciated. Thank you to those posters. :thumbsu:

Yes. This stuff often goes unreported. Reasonable comments, some clear light hearted stuff, and some spite. Always a mix. The fact that some have been warmly received shows we are not completely unwelcoming.

Even worse was when Levi had a rest & Thornton had to go in the ruck. You would never want to see a similar scenario again.

As for Dram's suggestion that Giles could be used as back up in the ruck. The first coach that does that gets his legs broken & if he does it again, he gets his arms & legs broken & two black eyes. Not going to happen.

Interesting that you have someone on your board suggesting that he has poor attitude at training and has off-field issues.

Re the contrast of being a good bloke and poor attitude . I think Cam Wood is probably a ripping bloke well loved by his teammates. Is still in strong with Cloke , Toovey and Goldsack, the beaks. Noted he was in photos in their post season Bali trip.

The poor attitude is more a sense that he doesn't appear to have a killer desire to achieve. Example for supporters was watching him on the field after the 2010 flag. Was almost the happiest there even though he didn't play. Don't think there are any examples of him mucking up or being disruptive. Criticism is he seemed happy enough just being there as a squad player. Might have a bit more desire now with maturity and having been delisted.

Again hope this comment is taken in a positive frame. I am not trying to be disruptive or derail your thread.

Re the contrast of being a good bloke and poor attitude . I think Cam Wood is probably a ripping bloke well loved by his teammates. Is still in strong with Cloke , Toovey and Goldsack, the beaks. Noted he was in photos in their post season Bali trip.

The poor attitude is more a sense that he doesn't appear to have a killer desire to achieve. Example for supporters was watching him on the field after the 2010 flag. Was almost the happiest there even though he didn't play. Don't think there are any examples of him mucking up or being disruptive. Criticism is he seemed happy enough just being there as a squad player. Might have a bit more desire now with maturity and having been delisted.

Again hope this comment is taken in a positive frame. I am not trying to be disruptive or derail your thread.

Nothing wrong with this sort of post. It's designed to be helpful and there is nothing disrespectful towards Carlton, it's players or our supporters. As I said, the reality is not always as reported.

Seems a bit of a needs pick here, has been a player who two clubs have previously rated. Is a young big ruckman coming into his prime and will back up our two key ruckman who haven't really got through a whole season for a very long time. Genuine rucks tend to be club hoppers, that's how a lot of clubs get their rucks, changing to a three man bench stuffed it for the big blokes, so many about so few positions available.

Can we just let it go. Hes a backup ruckman. Simple as that. We get it! I want to know more about our first pick. The write up worried me a bit cas the Fevola alarms bells started to go off with the fact he can go hot and cold. Oh well, we will see. Seriously though, you can keep to discussing Cameron Wood. I will allow it. But should I come back here and here "I don't get the logic here..." then so help me god I will come down on this thread like the Hammer of Thor!

Wood can do a job if the need arises. When considering our other draftees the selection makes some sense. We didn't get a ready to go KPF. We (collective amateur list managers) were prepared to accept Casboult/Rowe as back up ruckmen in a crisis, if we added forward depth. The bottom line is we did not add to our key position players, therefore if a ruck (or 2) went down as well as a key, we would be totally stuffed.
He is as good as any other insurance ruckman out there. No problem.

Footnote: We have to have a Free Agent KPP all but signed, sealed and delivered for next year given our drafting strategies....another Magpie anyone?

Ben Reid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back