Team Captain
May 19, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Reggina
Hi Guys,

I was just reading up on WA Team of the Century and stumbled across some info on Ross Glendinning. Going through his stats he seemed to have quite a decent career, coming runner-up in the Sandover and Brownlow and eventually winning the Brownlow in '83.

Some pretty impressive stats there but he never seems to be talked up as one of the great CHF/CHB. What was his deal, did he only play one good season or was he in fact quite a good player?

Going by what he had achieved he seems to be quite underrated, unfortunately being only 20 i didn't get to see any of him, since there's no footage of him on youtube i just wanted to know what people who are old enough thought of him?

PS Just a link where i was reading about him http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/wa_t...ning (East Perth, North Melbourne, West Coast)

Re: Rate a Player: Ross Glendinning

Yeh true, probably should have but it's good to get an overall opinion. Just like to see in general what the footy public thought of him.

Re: Rate a Player: Ross Glendinning

From a neutral supporter's perspective, he was a super player!!
Very classy player who was a brilliant mover for a KP player. Always seemed to have ample time, and read the play as good as anyone of his time.

In fact he is a player from that vintage, who would have little trouble adapting to today's style of football as he was very athletic.

Surely he is in North Melbourne's Team Of The Century?

Was a very talented player who could play both ends of the ground with ease,was far from a 1 year wonder,both clubs got great service from him

Does anyone know the reason that he has a medal named after him for the best player in a Derby? I understand his link to West Coast, but other than being on the selection committee during Freo's darkest years (aka the Drum years), what does he have to do with Freo? Must be close to the most embarrassing award in any case, rarely does a year go by where it's not awarded to the wrong person (eg Gardiner should have been Sampi, Judd should have been Carr).

Does anyone know the reason that he has a medal named after him for the best player in a Derby? I understand his link to West Coast, but other than being on the selection committee during Freo's darkest years (aka the Drum years), what does he have to do with Freo? Must be close to the most embarrassing award in any case, rarely does a year go by where it's not awarded to the wrong person (eg Gardiner should have been Sampi, Judd should have been Carr).

Pretty much answered your own question there chook, because he was on the Dockers selection committee he was given the nod. Also probably due to the fact there were few other candidates who had involvements at both clubs, I mean what else were they going to call it?

The David Hynes medal?
The Tony Godden medal?
The Brendan Fewster medal?
The Daniel Metropolis medal?
The Greg Harding medal?
The Trent Carroll medal?

You get my point :eek:

I think Brereton rated him very highly as a tough opponent, yet in his final year with the Eagles he managed to kick nearly 80 goals playing virtually at FF.

Became the very first Eagle to win All-Australian honours as well because of that

A champion.

Glendinning won the Brownlow in 1983 (2nd the year before).
Only other KPP to win it in the last 25 years is Lockett.*

*Apologies to Chris Grant.

Has anyone got any footage of him? Would love to see him at his peak. Where would people place him on a list of great CHF? It seems Carey and Kernahan have him covered but surely he would have to be ranked pretty highly going by what poeple are saying in this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion player, champion bloke. Started playing in our dominant era but unfortunately played most of his career with us when we had scrubs like Demetriou playing for us. To reach the level he took his game with the spuds around him says a lot about the bloke.

Pretty much answered your own question there chook, because he was on the Dockers selection committee he was given the nod. Also probably due to the fact there were few other candidates who had involvements at both clubs, I mean what else were they going to call it?

The David Hynes medal?
The Tony Godden medal?
The Brendan Fewster medal?
The Daniel Metropolis medal?
The Greg Harding medal?
The Trent Carroll medal?

You get my point :eek:

He must be the only man alive who has a medal named after him for being a selector for a team that finished last. They should have waited for a few years and called it something that had meaning for both clubs. The McManus-Worsfold medal, or the Allan-Glendinning medal if you want to recognise the two inaugural captains. I don't think Ben Allan would be prepared to have his name associated with such a tainted medal now though.

He must be the only man alive who has a medal named after him for being a selector for a team that finished last. They should have waited for a few years and called it something that had meaning for both clubs. The McManus-Worsfold medal, or the Allan-Glendinning medal if you want to recognise the two inaugural captains. I don't think Ben Allan would be prepared to have his name associated with such a tainted medal now though.

Pffft I answered this question years ago.

It should be the Worsfold-Allan Medal. The inaugural Western Derby captains aka the W-A Medal.

Isn't that clever?

It's perfect, they should change it tomorrow and pay me for the idea.

Pffft I answered this question years ago.

It should be the Worsfold-Allan Medal. The inaugural Western Derby captains aka the W-A Medal.

Isn't that clever?

It's perfect, they should change it tomorrow and pay me for the idea.

whatever happened to the stkilda/eagles nicky windmar cup thing they had goin? I guess the same question as before, what did windmar have to do with the eagles?

Great player. Was big fella anyway, butplayed like a giant - you know when you see a game where a 16-year old is mucking about with some 12-year old kids and just cruises around, doing what he wants at seeming half-pace and looking like he was doing it easy - that was Glendinning.

His full-forward career was 'interesting' - The Coodabeens had a running joke - Define 'Good use of the Body'. Answer: 'A push in the back by Ross Glendinning'.

He would not have succeeded playing like that under today's 'hands in the back' rule - but he was good enough to adapt.

Brilliant player.

Served his apprenticeship at East Perth, but after a bit of wrangling left "early" to head to North Melbourne. He was an " A " class player at North, probably in the top 5 players in the VFL for more than a number of years. Returned to W.A. to be the first captain of the Eagles and he did a very serviceable job being their "forward line" for 2 years.

None of the latest crop of CHB's would approach being able to lace his boots. The latest batch of CHF's aint bad, but he would still be above them.

He played in the first game of footy that I ever saw.

Our family arrived from England in 1975 and all ten of us went to watch East Perth play Perth later that year. East Perth hammered them if my memory is correct.

Glendinning was brilliant and had the best hair of any white guy that I had ever seen.

I followed East Perth from that time and then followed his career after he left and went to North Melbourne.

He was brilliant his entire career in a great team with the other Sandgropers. Memory can be unreliable, but I think he had played some really good games in the State of Origin matches too.

As for the Ross Glendinning Medal. I think too many medals are given out really. There have been some controversial decisions made and I booed the decision (didn't boo Judd himself) to give Judd the medal that year, but naming it after the white guy with the afro was the decision that was made at the time and I think it should stand.

AS has been mentioned, he was an excellent footballer. The only thing I could say against him was that he made it look too easy, thus causing him to be underrated by some. One of the few who could beat Paul Roos. Not always, but often enough.

He was as good as any CHB I ever saw. Not as brilliant as Knights, but just as effective and far more physical. He won the 1982 and 1983 North B & F, won the Brownlow that same year and was crucial in North finishing on top of the ladder that year. The great tragedies of his career were the capitulation of the North side in the 83 finals and being made to sit out the 1977 season due to a clearance wrangle with East Perth, thereby missing out on a premiership.

It's probably wise to consult the opinions of the best CHF of that time -

"Glendinning is one of the most complete players I've seen - people tell me he was like 'E. J.' (Ted Whitten) with attitude," Dermott Brereton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back