Ross Glendinning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite player as a kid growing up, proudly wore his number on the back of my East Perth jumper in the mid seventies (#6 if i remember correct, though i think he wore 4 at N.M):thumbsu:

Where would people place him on a list of great CHF? It seems Carey and Kernahan have him covered but surely he would have to be ranked pretty highly going by what poeple are saying in this thread.

Carey was without a doubt the best CHF EVER - but Kernahan. Ha. Shouldn't even come into considerations when talking about the game's greats.

As for Ross - loved those long torps. Just like when Rocca or Dustin Fletcher hit the sweet spot and the ball just sails through the air and seems to go half the length of the field.

Re: Rate a Player: Ross Glendinning

Best to ask on our board. We have quite a few oldies who can help you with that.

I resemble that GR. "oldies" hello...

Yes I am old enough to have seen Roscoe play for the North Melbourne Football Club. If he had been a cricketer would have been called a great all rounder. Kicked a lazy 10 one day against Melbourne (i think it was the dees). I can go to my grave knowing that I was lucky to be there that day at Windy Hill when Roscoe, on his way to kicking a goal, ran through Billy Duckworth who seemed to spin in mid air parrallel to the ground then "woop" hit it flat out. Billy didn't know what hit him, and he was known for handing it out. North gave the Bombers a right touch up that day. :thumbsu:

My dear old non AFL North England born nanna called him a "Handsome Lad looov" when i sat her down with me to watch a game one day. :) (one for the girls)

One of the best to grace the field for the North footy club, hopefully the OP now realises the quality of the man. Definately not a one year wonder, the complete opposite.

One of the best to grace the field for the North footy club, hopefully the OP now realises the quality of the man. Definately not a one year wonder, the complete opposite.

Sure do, seems like an awesome player! Still would love to see some footage of him. By the sounds of it definately seems to be immensly underated and deserves to be spoken more often about among AFL greats. :thumbsu:

Sounds like he was one of the very first modern day footballers who could play alot of positions

Attacking CHB and just a fantastic player. All Richmond supporters loved Jimmy Jess but Glendenning was even better.

Sure do, seems like an awesome player! Still would love to see some footage of him. By the sounds of it definately seems to be immensly underated and deserves to be spoken more often about among AFL greats. :thumbsu:

Sounds like he was one of the very first modern day footballers who could play alot of positions

Jezza was a few years earlier and could play anywhere.

Super player, I think Ross would have made the team of the century for any VFL/AFL team. May have even been a better player in the modern era.

Greetings Viewers

I am old enough to remember the playing deeds of Ross Glendinning. His record - and post career awards - speak for itself.

A player of his calibre would still get a game in any team today.

Regards

Dicko

Was a very talented player who could play both ends of the ground with ease,was far from a 1 year wonder,both clubs got great service from him
I can recall a couple of games at Arden St, where a strong wind was favoring the swimming pool end, and Barassi just put Glendinning at CHB when we were kicking into the wind, and CHF when we had the wind.

The only other player he did that with was Malcolm Blight.

Ross had great upper body strength which is why he could play on power forwards

Played smart especially in one on one contests although he often got way with bending the rules alot like Silvagni had a knack of doing

No doubt a great player of his era with the Roos and Eagles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall him playing anywhere but FF or HFF in his early days ; maybe HBF in his last year or so.

I daresay you could have played him FB ; but why would you want to?

Not sure if you're talking about Jezza or Glendinning here but the latter played a lot of his early footy at FB.

Carey was without a doubt the best CHF EVER - but Kernahan. Ha. Shouldn't even come into considerations when talking about the game's greats.

As for Ross - loved those long torps. Just like when Rocca or Dustin Fletcher hit the sweet spot and the ball just sails through the air and seems to go half the length of the field.

Glendinning was a total champion player.

Name one CHF in the history of Collingwood that was better than Kernahan?

His record as a captain and trophy haul speak for themselves. He took the best VFL CHB's apart as a 20 year old in a SOO game, kicking 10.4 from CHF while still at Glenelg. One of the best perfomances ever in Aussie Rules.

Also won a Magarey by mile one year but was rubbed out.

i liked it when Glendinning awarded the medal to Gardiner over some other guy, after the media chumps ****ed it up.

I thought the story with that one was that the media guys voted and Sampi had the most votes, but Rosco decided to give it to Gardiner instead. That's why they tell us who voted for who now.

I think Ross dissagreed with the choice the time that it was awarded to Judd when everyone at the game assumed (and rightfully so) that Carr deserved it for almost single handedly getting us over the line with a blinding last quarter.
Ross Glendinning had given Carr top votes but the two Journo's that had stated during the week that WC would win due to the Judd factor had Judd first and Carr second.
I think he would have overturned that desicion if he hadn't copped so much flack for the earlier Sampi - Gardiner overturning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back