Round 1 2013: Adelaide v Essendon plus live chat in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Any one else really get turned off by this "sliding" rule?

I saw crows players penalised 3-4 times and then there was one blatant one in Watson doing it that resulted in a Howlett goal that went unpunished. Very frustrating rule. Soon we will have a you can't touch the footy if you go to ground rule.

??? Never heard of players like Kirk or K. Cornes? And others.

mate, those blokes barely got 18 touches a game and gave away far too many free kicks when tagging, Kane Cornes has never been a full time tagger either so why bring him into the discussion?

mate, those blokes barely got 18 touches a game and gave away far too many free kicks when tagging, Kane Cornes has never been a full time tagger either so why bring him into the discussion?

Kane Cornes barely got 18 touches a game? What planet you been living on, for a time he was definitely a tagger and he's consistently found more of the ball than Ling.

Kane Cornes barely got 18 touches a game? What planet you been living on, for a time he was definitely a tagger and he's consistently found more of the ball than Ling.

"Cornes has never been a full time tagger"

That's my comment above mate.
And for what it's worth, here's both players career stats
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/C/Cameron_Ling.html
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/K/Kane_Cornes.html

Consistently found more of the ball did he?

You can't cherry pick your own damn comments. Kane was a tagger, he averages more touches than Ling and was never an 18 possie mug.

but I provided actual statistics from a reparable website which highlighted Cornes averaging 1½ disposals more per game than Ling throughout both careers and your previous comment was "he's consistently found more of the ball than Ling"
But you are telling me something about cherry picking comments etc o_O

Any one else really get turned off by this "sliding" rule?

I saw crows players penalised 3-4 times and then there was one blatant one in Watson doing it that resulted in a Howlett goal that went unpunished. Very frustrating rule. Soon we will have a you can't touch the footy if you go to ground rule.
Not really. That one on Davey was a perfect example why this rule was brought in. If Davey had not have reacted quick enough or was pined or pushed in he would have walked away with messed up knees, broken shin or ankle.

Bit late in on this discussion. Watched the game last night and bravo to Essendon who really did everything right bar the opening 20 minutes. You'd be happy as a Bombers supporter watching that. The conditions were less than ideal and they had to dig deep to win as it was still up for grabs with 5 minutes remaining. That 2nd quarter set it up and Adelaide was always going to struggle with a 30 point gap opening up.

Thought Adelaide could have won the game if they had have kicked straight. They controlled much of the ball in their forward half in the second half but either couldn't find a target or were mobbed by Bombers who were able to be more effective when they got forward of centre.

I liked Essendon's willingness to switch play through the corridor. Adelaide seemed content to try to work the boundary, only for Essendon to run strong inside. Makes me worry about Malthouse's intentions to push the Blues wide especially without a bonafide KPF...

Kommer and Merrett. Both fantastic. Watson pure class. Easily the best football player behind Ablett Jnr but not much distance between them.

I don't like the Bombers at all, but they were very good last night. I don't know many who tipped them!

wont get a game once Jetta returns and Zaharakis wont be the sub for to long

Shocking player

Yeah was just joking around.

I agree that he definitely doesn't do enough consistently. However, surely Jetta was fit, but still named emergency? Tells me that Hird and co rate Davey > Jetta (unless of course Jetta has been injured)

I agree that he definitely doesn't do enough consistently. However, surely Jetta was fit, but still named emergency? Tells me that Hird and co rate Davey > Jetta (unless of course Jetta has been injured)
Davey is our most consistent small forward when it comes to kicking goals, and we need to get him to 100 games :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers played well and I was really impressed with the four quarter effort. Adelaide to be honest though were very poor. Hocking and co bullied dangerfield all night and he received zero protection from his teammates and also the amount of dons players that were able to break tackles at critical moments was ridiculous

Different types of players. Davey is more of your stay at home SF with goal instincts whereas Jetta needs to play up the ground more.

Davey is our most consistent small forward when it comes to kicking goals, and we need to get him to 100 games :)

Different types of players. Davey is more of your stay at home SF with goal instincts whereas Jetta needs to play up the ground more.

Cheers for the replies. Either way he's earned his spot for a few weeks, was great in that 3rd term.

you tipped us then?
i actually thought it was a pretty clinical performance tonight.

emotion only spilled over at the end.

Yeah I did.

I will tip you for about a month, but then I'm not convinced.

That's not based on talent or ability, but because the talk will ramp up as the investigations heighten.

The list is much better than most give it credit though IMO.

Not sure about that. If they can keep their players fit this time around. Zaharakis to play from the start and Goddard to improve. Will need Hurley up forward to lift if they are to be dangerous at the pointy end of the season.

I don't doubt their ability whatsoever, they have put together a very good list with most in their prime.

I just don't think the energy and enthusiasm is sustainable, they're human, and I think as the scrutiny continues and more 'developments' are reported...it will have an impact.

yep, not sure why I quoted Kirk to be honest, a previous poster must have brought him into the discussion but no doubt Kirk was a tough, sensational tagger, just reckon Ling was a little more damaging and consistent than what he was for the entirety of both their careers.
Playing as a forward for most of his juniors beginning of his career obviously contributed to that along with his marking ability.

Ling's final game is a testament to that by keeping the opposition's 2nd best player to only 20 disposals while gathering just as many himself and also kicking a goal too :thumbsu:
I brought up Kirk in response to your claim "Lingy was a pioneer of this" (tagging + impacting), and your initial response was "mate, those blokes barely got 18 touches a game and gave away far too many free kicks when tagging". Now you're saying Kirk was a great at this, and obviously ignoring he played years before Ling did. So back to my original issue with your first post - no, Lingy didn't pioneer that style of play even if he was a great exponent of it.

And Cornes regularly tagged early in his career and was bloody good at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back