List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

defensively people seem to see it as a choice between him or Goose and Goose had a better year in the games he played at Full back than Merritt in 2014. That then leaves a forward slot for him and most seem prepared to take a punt on youth.

Ok, have a crack at this.

Adcock (c) Merrett Gardiner
Hanley Clarke C Beams
Aish Redden Rich
Christiansen Close Zorko
Green Luey Freeman

Martin D Beams Rocky

Int: McStay Taylor Mayes sub: Paparone

I am so keen to see the pre seasons of Robbo, Cutler and Lester. Actually, the competition will drive all the players harder than ever.

It's very exciting but gee we are still young

Gunza (Paparone), what's his role from now on? People seem to have him as an interchange which seems like he's good but we're not sure what role he plays. He's a bigger mid that goes forward, seems to enjoy the extra space of a wing type position....

Gunza (Paparone), what's his role from now on? People seem to have him as an interchange which seems like he's good but we're not sure what role he plays. He's a bigger mid that goes forward, seems to enjoy the extra space of a wing type position....

Could be used as a leading forward but I think he's perfect for the wingman role he's been doing. Just let him run. Constantly gets into space and presents as a link option from defense and before you know it he pops up forward of the play to to link it forward or take a sneaky mark and shot at goal. Just does not stop running.

He's a point of difference for us with his size and engine. He really improved his work off the ball last year and his workrate was really noticeable at games. We're going to go into next year with a lot of fairly similar sized midfielders. I think Paparone might be able to contribute to the midfield mix in a different way.

Posted this in beams trade thread what do people think?

Not as the offensive half back I mean as the golby/harwood defensive small replacement...

If I was clays beams I'd be trying to become a small defender. He has the pace, aggression, tackling and good attacking kick going the other way.

Of all our second tier mids he is the one I can most imagine scrambling like a mad man to smother a ball in defensive 50 or scragging Eddie betts and co for 120 minutes a game.

Can you get on the line to Leppa about that? Brilliant idea for multiple reasons, at the moment Beams is the most likely of our top-line mids to be made sub or emergency. We lack a good small defender, I don't rate Golby or Harwood.

Beams is quite good defensively and like you say shows desperation but he also offers a long and accurate kick. Adcock, Cutler and Beams providing the rebound out of defence with guys like Hanley drfiting through their at times would be a great set-up offensively.

Geez it becomes harder to name the Rd 1 team on paper. of course, some players such as Rich & Christensen may not be ready to play.

Well here is my starting team. It has to include our "Dirty Midfield Dozen".....Rockliff, D.Beams, Hanley, Rich, Redden, Zorko, Mayes, Aish, Christensen, Taylor, Green & C.Beams....for a bit of fun, can anybody draw up dossiers of our Dirty Dozen, like the 1967 movie of the same name??? For eg "Tom Rockliff - Tough inside mid, good with his hands & deadly by foot".....lol, probably not. I might ask Oogac to have a go at it!

B: Adcock. Merrett. Clarke
HB: Hanley. Maguire. Gardiner
C: Aish. D.Beams. Rich
HF: Zorko. Staker. Mayes
F: Green. Close. McStay
R: Martin. Rockliff. Christensen
I: Leuenberger. Redden. Taylor. C.Beams
E: Freeman. Bewick. Harwood

Last edited:
Can you get on the line to Leppa about that? Brilliant idea for multiple reasons, at the moment Beams is the most likely of our top-line mids to be made sub or emergency. We lack a good small defender, I don't rate Golby or Harwood.

Beams is quite good defensively and like you say shows desperation but he also offers a long and accurate kick. Adcock, Cutler and Beams providing the rebound out of defence with guys like Hanley drfiting through their at times would be a great set-up offensively.

Golby not coming up in a lot of teams, really has slipped in people's eyes on here.

He has showed heaps of potential in the past, 2011/12. Just hasn't been able to get the right balance of defense and rebound yet. He's still 21 with a good preseason hopefully can change a few minds and show that potential again.

Golby not coming up in a lot of teams, really has slipped in people's eyes on here.

He has showed heaps of potential in the past, 2011/12. Just hasn't been able to get the right balance of defense and rebound yet. He's still 21 with a good preseason hopefully can change a few minds and show that potential again.
I'd argue that he's actually got the easiest run at a senior spot of all our fringe players. We need someone to play on the best small forwards and he's best placed to fill that role. He just needs to get those errors out of his game and go back to basics when it comes to locking down on a forward.

It is interesting to reflect on how dire things seemed at one stage in this last season. There was even vague talk early on of us being a possible candidate for a priority pick I think. We couldn't win a quarter early on.

We have a long way to go but have actually come a long way in a season. We have talent, now just need to develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beams, C Merrett Gardiner
Adcock Clarke Cutler
Papparone Rich Aish
Mayes McStay Zorko
Green Staker Leunberger

Fol: Martin, Rockliffe, Beams D
I/C: Christensen, Redden, Taylor
Sub: Bewick

Going to be some serious competition for those tall forward spots over pre-season! Any of Close, Freeman, Staker or Mcstay could lay claims. Don't think Merrett will play forward but that's another option if Maguire copes with losing the protection Patful's been giving him ok.

Competition too for the small defender spot. Claye Beams is the logical choice for this role but you wouldn't think the likes of Harwood and Golby will die wondering.

G'day fellas, I've been reading through everyone's best 22s for 2015 and noticed Merrett is in very few. Is he not best 22 material anymore?

He will be in our team just a question of which end. A lot of us on here (me included) get carried away in the romanticism of picking unproved players ahead of guys that have proven themselves at the level. Merrett will be in the team.

To pick Golby you'd have to leave out Harwood who had a far superior 2014 season. For me the spot is for Harwood to lose or Golby to force his way in with amazing performances in the NEAFL.

Genuinely interested, where would people have the GH5 if they were theoretically around for selection?

I think at least one of Docherty and Yeo would be in the starting team, perhaps both. Polec maybe on the interchange. Longer and Karnezis no where near it.

We've done so well being able to minimise the loss of 5 first and second rounders leaving at the one time.

Genuinely interested, where would people have the GH5 if they were theoretically around for selection?

I think at least one of Docherty and Yeo would be in the starting team, perhaps both. Polec maybe on the interchange. Longer and Karnezis no where near it.

We've done so well being able to minimise the loss of 5 first and second rounders leaving at the one time.

I'd have Yeo in in the backline, dunno about starting 18 though.

Reckon people need to temper their expectations on our team next year. Like a few others on here I'm predicting some classic BigFooty dummy spits by some of our more, um, emotional posters.

He's a lock in my best 22 although Harwood did finish last year pretty strongly.

Reckon people need to temper their expectations on our team next year. Like a few others on here I'm predicting some classic BigFooty dummy spits by some of our more, um, emotional posters.

No way!

B: Harwood Maguire Gardiner
HB: Adcock Clarke McStay
C: Rich Redden Hanley
HF: Christensen Close Zorko
F: Mayes Freeman Green
Foll: Martin. D.Beams. Rockliff

Interchange: Aish, Taylor, Bewick, Leuenberger

I like this line up, but I would be even more delighted if we were able to field the exact same side consistently in 2015 and start with it in 2016. If we can keep these players together, we have a real chance at a top four spot in a couple of seasons. The most important thing is to get as many games into Freeman, Close, Clarke, McStay, Aish and Gardiner as possible. As things stand, I am going to have a lazy $100 on us to finish top eight next year. I think we are good things.

No way! ..........................................................................................................................

As things stand, I am going to have a lazy $100 on us to finish top eight next year. I think we are good things.

So you are not going to temper your expectations and are readying yourself for a dummy spit after you have wasted a hundred smackers you could have wisely spent on a few XTC albums you have not get yet. I look forward to it. :cool:

So you are not going to temper your expectations and are readying yourself for a dummy spit after you have wasted a hundred smackers you could have wisely spent on a few XTC albums you have not get yet. I look forward to it. :cool:
I have all the XTC and Dukes Of Stratosphear albums (most on Vinyl), so my life is already complete.

BTW - Brisbane at $7.70 for Top 8 2015 - Massive overs for mine.

No way!

B: Harwood Maguire Gardiner
HB: Adcock Clarke McStay
C: Rich Redden Hanley
HF: Christensen Close Zorko
F: Mayes Freeman Green
Foll: Martin. D.Beams. Rockliff

Interchange: Aish, Taylor, Bewick, Leuenberger

I like this line up, but I would be even more delighted if we were able to field the exact same side consistently in 2015 and start with it in 2016. If we can keep these players together, we have a real chance at a top four spot in a couple of seasons. The most important thing is to get as many games into Freeman, Close, Clarke, McStay, Aish and Gardiner as possible. As things stand, I am going to have a lazy $100 on us to finish top eight next year. I think we are good things.

I reckon you should put a lazy couple of hundred towards a membership next season old mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back