List Mgmt. Round 1, 2015 Full strength team

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only seen Andrews highlights package on Lions TV and read the write ups.

Seems like he's gonna be a "project player" for a couple years yet, but could surprise. A bit like Archie Smith I'd say.

If you're going to compare Close's 1st year to Browny's I think it's important to note that in Browny's first season he at least showed glimpses of what was to come. Close has only really played 3 decent games and two of them where against GC (when they were cooked) and Melbourne.

Freeman had a much better first 4 games than Close, both statistically and impact wise and that's considering he played FF for 4 games, 3 of which we lost by a combined 225 points.

But for what it's worth, I think we'll play Close, Freeman and Staker/Merrett as our three KPFs, with McStay pinch hitting down there as well. I don't think we'll play our resting ruck forward much. Berg #1 ruck, with Martin playing ruck rover/#2 ruck like in round 23 (similar to Blicavs at Geelong).

***Yes, I'm team Freeman.
Equally though, Brown didn't have to spend time in the ruck, and look at the 2 teams Close and Brown played in, in their respective first years.
The point is, Mick's first year is hardly something to base predictions of his career on.
I think he has shown plenty and would have him ahead of Freeman easily, for now. Results over a handful of games for Freeman mean very little in context of comparing him with Close.
They both have great potential and if our rucks stay on the ground with a healthy midfield, we'll hopefully see both develop further over the next season.

Equally though, Brown didn't have to spend time in the ruck, and look at the 2 teams Close and Brown played in, in their respective first years.
The point is, Mick's first year is hardly something to base predictions of his career on.
I think he has shown plenty and would have him ahead of Freeman easily, for now. Results over a handful of games for Freeman mean very little in context of comparing him with Close.
They both have great potential and if our rucks stay on the ground with a healthy midfield, we'll hopefully see both develop further over the next season.
I can't remember how much Brown rucked 14 years ago, but Brown had more hit outs (22) than Close (19). He may well have just got those from boundary throw ins, in the forward 50 though. Fair point about the teams they played in though.

Besides, playing in the ruck wouldn't hurt how many possessions/marks he got. Would have probably improved it if anything.

I just don't see it in Close. Even in the NEAFL he can't even average a goal a game. Freeman can at least do that at both AFL/NEAFL.

However, the defensive side of Close's game is very good for a bloke his size. Can't fault the effort, if he's not getting touches (which is often) he is at least applying a lot of defensive pressure and doing the team thing. Freeman needs to work on this aspect.

I will be stoked if I'm wrong.

B: Justin Clarke ~ Daniel Merret ~ Darcy Gardiner
HB: Jed Adcock ~ Matt Maguire ~ Daniel Rich

C: James Aish ~ Jack Redden ~ Pearce Hanley

HF: Allen Christensen ~ Daniel McStay ~ Dayne Zorko
F: Lewis Taylor ~ Michael Close ~ Stefan Martin

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Dayne Beams

I/C: Ryan Harwood ~ Sam Mayes ~ Josh Green ~ Claye Beams

I can't remember how much Brown rucked 14 years ago, but Brown had more hit outs (22) than Close (19). He may well have just got those from boundary throw ins, in the forward 50 though. Fair point about the teams they played in though.

Besides, playing in the ruck wouldn't hurt how many possessions/marks he got. Would have probably improved it if anything.

I just don't see it in Close. Even in the NEAFL he can't even average a goal a game. Freeman can at least do that at both AFL/NEAFL.

However, the defensive side of Close's game is very good for a bloke his size. Can't fault the effort, if he's not getting touches (which is often) he is at least applying a lot of defensive pressure and doing the team thing. Freeman needs to work on this aspect.

I will be stoked if I'm wrong.

Close will end up a 30+ goal full forward with elite running capacity.

He's no star, but he's definitely good enough to play a lot of AFL football.

The kid has just turned 20, is still putting on muscle to go with his 196cm frame and played 11 games from rd. 9 onwards, with 4 x 2 goal efforts in those games.

Not too shabby when you consider that we had an average F50 entries of a tick over 45 per game (3rd worst in the AFL and 10 below a serious finals team).

I think all he needs is a game where he kicks 5 goals in a win and he'll be away :thumbsu:

Close will end up a 30+ goal full forward with elite running capacity.

He's no star, but he's definitely good enough to play a lot of AFL football.

The kid has just turned 20, is still putting on muscle to go with his 196cm frame and played 11 games from rd. 9 onwards, with 4 x 2 goal efforts in those games.

Not too shabby when you consider that we had an average F50 entries of a tick over 45 per game (3rd worst in the AFL and 10 below a serious finals team).

I think all he needs is a game where he kicks 5 goals in a win and he'll be away :thumbsu:
So sort of the Jesse White/ Chris Dawes mark? Yeah, I could see him reaching those levels. If I'm honest, it's probably the best we can hope for with Freeman as well, but with the small forwards we've got, it might be all we need.

So sort of the Jesse White/ Chris Dawes mark? Yeah, I could see him reaching those levels. If I'm honest, it's probably the best we can hope for with Freeman as well, but with the small forwards we've got, it might be all we need.

So based on 14 and 4 games respectively you can tell what level these 2 young players will reach? You are a better man than me Gunga Din.

B: Justin Clarke ~ Daniel Merret ~ Darcy Gardiner
HB: Jed Adcock ~ Matt Maguire ~ Daniel Rich

C: James Aish ~ Jack Redden ~ Pearce Hanley

HF: Allen Christensen ~ Daniel McStay ~ Dayne Zorko
F: Lewis Taylor ~ Michael Close ~ Stefan Martin

Foll: Matthew Leuenberger ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Dayne Beams

I/C: Ryan Harwood ~ Sam Mayes ~ Josh Green ~ Claye Beams
You might want to add in Mitch Robinson and Brent Staker.

Just the fact that we're arguing over 'who will make it first?' and 'who can we cram in the midfield?' rather than 'when will we wake up and drop Lisle/Ace/Polks/Hawksley/etc' has got to be a plus.

I can be patient so long as they both keep improving. There's room for two gun forwards in any team.
This stupid ******* like ban I have means I can't like your post but if I could I would like it then unlike then like an repeat because I cannot agree with you more. How good is it that we are all struggling to pick a clear best 22.

It's better trying to squeeze people in than our best 22s pre-draft of the last few where people were penciling in our first and second round draft picks from round 1.
But our first two picks in the draft this year were Beams and Christensen

This stupid ******* like ban I have means I can't like your post but if I could I would like it then unlike then like an repeat because I cannot agree with you more. How good is it that we are all struggling to pick a clear best 22.
Hey Billy I really like that post:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My crack:

FB Adcock Merrett Gardiner
HB Rich Clarke Harwood
C Aish Beams Hanley
HF Christensen Staker Zorko
FF Paparone Freeman Green
R Leuenberger Redden Rockliff
Int Martin Mayes Taylor McStay

Talking points:

- No I have not forgotten Robinson. He would be next cab off the rank for me.
- I expect our FF to either be Freeman or Merrett. Those are really the only two options that we have there. Close is not a FF.
- We do not have an established CHF so I have gone with mobility in Staker with Paparone playing as the third tall. I think Paparone offers more to the team than Close both defensively and with his link up play. On the scoreboard Close has not shown much and there is every chance Paparone could be good there is he learns to run back to the right spots. Paparone also the better shot for goal imo. The other reason for going with mobility is that we will have a resting ruck up there a lot.
- Leppa loves defensive height and McStay in particular so I reckon he will be in the week 1 side. He can play either end but is also a good offensive runner so he can come on and play a flanker type role if needed.
- With good preseasons it would not surprise me to see any of C Beams, Bewick, Cutler, Robertson, Robinson, ZOB or Lester in that side. Cutler the one I think could really establish himself.
- Bourke is my roughy. He could step into the Patfull role although I see him playing a bit more as a loose man rather than a lockdown defender like Patfull.

Will Christensen get up for week one? Harwood would also have to be under pressure.

OK, I'll have a go.

FB Cutler Merret Gardiner
HB Hanley Clarke Adcock
C Aish Beams Rich
HF Mayes Papparone Christensen
FF Green Freeman Staker
R Leuenberger Redden Rockliff
Int Taylor Zorko Martin McStay

I really hated leaving out Close but I would think that Papparone and Staker are both ahead of him
I prefer Hanley on the HB line because I think so much of our creative forward movement starts with Hanley and getting the ball into his hands earlier assists
I would love to be proven wrong but I suspect that Harwood and Bewick (and perhaps Lester) are going to slide down the list this year which is a shame for them but is absolutely fantastic for this football club.
Robinson, I just can't get excited about

So based on 14 and 4 games respectively you can tell what level these 2 young players will reach? You are a better man than me Gunga Din.
I've never been insulted using 19th Century poetry before. Big Footy is full of firsts.

My turn

B: Adcock, Maguire, Gardiner
HB: Hanley, Clarke, Rich
C: Zorko, Redden, Christensen
HF: Mayes, Close, M. Robinson
F: Green, Merritt, Taylor
Foll: Leuenberger, Rockliff, D. Beams
I/C: Martin, Aish, Paparone, C. Beams

EMG: N. Robinson, Cutler, McStay Harwood, Bewick, McGuire, Bourke, Staker

In the backline I would have Hanley and Rich as the main movers of the ball out of that area, with Rich’s foot skills and also Hanley’s line breaking ability. Hanley will still get time on the ball/wing and if I was Leppa I would give him a bit of licence to really take the game on with his run and carry. Last year’s four mainstays are still there in Adcock, Maguire, Clarke and Gardiner with the latter fulfilling Patfull’s role.

Zorko has been pushed and will play more time on ball but he will still play through the forward line as a high-half forward and so will Christensen/Mayes/Taylor. Redden will be our centreman and can see him swapping in patches with Robinson as that hard defense minded mid. Luey will be first ruck mainly due to Martin being able to play a number of roles. Rocky and Beams will do what they do and can see Aish stepping up another level as well. With the added mids of Beams, Christensen and M. Robinson to our midfield this means that he will be further down the pecking order of the opposition thinking.

Up forward I can still see Merritt being that bigger body that crashes the pack and snag a goal or two a game. Freeman misses out purely that I believe that the forward line was too tall last year and that the run of games that he got at the end of the year was to give him a taste and this is why Close gets the nod and one of the two rucks will be pushed forward for times. Green will play as a small forward with limited time on the ball. Paparone showed that he played a vital role within the team, and like others, hopes another few kilos to his frame will assist him and will play through the forward/midfield. C.Beams for sub just due to not enough spots.

I can see a great amount of flexibility within our team which is a great thing. I actually see next year as a development year and expect that when one of the top 22 players goes down then it will be a younger player that comes in to take their spot. McStay, Cutler and N.Robinson will get plenty of games in the firsts throughout the year and think that they will really place pressure on the first 22 by the end of the year and hopefully be in this group in 2016. Bring on 2015!!!!

No insult meant. Just a throwaway line. My apologies if you were.
Insulted was a poor choice of word. I wasn't insulted, I actually had to google it to find out where the line came from. I thought you were calling me a stoner. ;)

As for predicting Freeman and Close's careers after a combined total of 18 games, I'm just saying the comparison to JB based on stats alone is a bit optimistic.

With the superstars, you can tell right from the start they're going to dominating games for years to come, rather than good role players who work they're way into teams such as Chris Dawes, who played 8 games in his first 3 years, but then became a premiership winning KPF, kicking 30 goals in 2010.

It's not a slight on Freeman and Close to compare them to Dawes, it's a hope they can reach that level. If they can pass him, even better. I just think the comparison to JB was a bit premature.

I don't think the stats are necessarily to compare Close to JB. They were used as an indication that stats for a key forward in the first few Gussage aren't really indicative of how they will turn out as a player.

Insulted was a poor choice of word. I wasn't insulted, I actually had to google it to find out where the line came from. I thought you were calling me a stoner. ;)
All good. FWIW I was Kaa in another life but then I may have been Kai in B grade TV Sci Fi. (this will get ya googling:)).

It's not a slight on Freeman and Close to compare them to Dawes, it's a hope they can reach that level. If they can pass him, even better. I just think the comparison to JB was a bit premature.

FWIW I agree with Caiphus below.

I don't think the stats are necessarily to compare Close to JB. They were used as an indication that stats for a key forward in the first few Gussage aren't really indicative of how they will turn out as a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back