C. Beams Merrett Rich
Adcock D. Beams Bewick
Zorko McStay Taylor
Green Staker Leuenberger
Martin Rockliff Redden
Int: Mayes, Robinson, Aish
Sub: Christensen

Few comments:
- I think Maguire should be in the side. Was excellent last year. Seems to have been forgotten. As good or better than Merrett IMHO.
- C Beams looks set to play down back.
- Rich excellent in return.
- Adcock on the wing is interesting. Not sure how I feel about it.
- I just don't think there is room for Close in this team. I'd rather play Staker. I know we are small up forward in this setup.
- I've had to leave Gardiner out of this side, which doesn't feel right.
And Justin Clarke. I think you have to keep putting time into him, before Merrett or Maguire. He's our best chance of locking in a 10 year, set and forget fullback.

Sitting in the back pocket on that side.
Right your are.

Merrett, Goose and Clarke feels like a hard ask to me. None are great kicks (Goose is the pick), so you have to bolster the flanks with good users, and now you're lacking genuine lockdown tackling pressure.

I'm hope Claye can be tight on a Ballatyne type , but still be a good distributor but it's a tough ask.

I like this team put forward...
Clarke Maguire Paparone
C. Beams Merrett Rich
Adcock D. Beams Bewick
Zorko McStay Taylor
Green Staker Leuenberger
Martin Rockliff Redden
Int: Mayes, Robinson, Aish

Few comments:
- I think Maguire should be in the side. Was excellent last year. Seems to have been forgotten. As good or better than Merrett IMHO.
- C Beams looks set to play down back.
- Rich excellent in return.
- Adcock on the wing is interesting. Not sure how I feel about it.
- I just don't think there is room for Close in this team. I'd rather play Staker. I know we are small up forward in this setup.
- I've had to leave Gardiner out of this side, which doesn't feel right.
I don't think it's a case of playing Close or Staker. I think they should both play round one, we need at least two tall forward targets. I know Leuenberger and Martin are tall, but they're not much help as forwards. McStay is still something of an unknown, and I certainly wouldn't be picking him as anything more than a third tall at this stage (still not sure if he'll even play as a full time forward this season).

So Close instead of Maguire then?
FB: Adcock, Merrett, Paperone
HB: Beams, Clarke, Rich
C: Mayes, Beams, Bewick
HF: Zorko, Close, Taylor
FF: Green, Staker, McStay
FOL: Leuenberger, Rockliff, Redden
Int: Robinson, Aish, Martin

Next in line:
- Maguire
- Gardiner
- Lester

I genuinely consider Goose massively underrated though.
His ability to get a back line that was disjointed and rudderless into a back line that had stability, more cohesion and confidence was absolutely under rated.
And this was a player that was told to reinvent himself as a forward.:confused:

Goose is on his last year or two.

Like hell we would leave him out of many games this year.

Firstly, I think Patful is the missing piece of the backline puzzle that we might be missing for a little while yet. I have strong hopes that there are a couple who will fill his role well but they can't instantly provide that sort of experience and game sense that he had. (I wish him well at GWS - will always like him and what he did for us).

I think that Clarke is clearly a long term requirement and for that reason he probably needs to play the bulk of games this year. I liked what Goose did last year and as others said he was under-rated in the way he gave the backline a real sense of co-ordination. Not that Merrett can't do the same necessarily but we can't have all three there at the same time. I think Merrett will probably get the nod to start with Clarke and then see how we go. I am hopeful that Clarke develops a little more poise as he matures because he is a really good smart player who was thrown into a tough position at a young age. I really like what Goose can bring to the team, he just seems to be the right sort of influence on younger guys out there - knows when to lay on a bit of agro, always supports those around him. In the absence of Joel we really need that sort of solid reliability.

Love Justin Clarke, but he does need to get a bit more of the ball instead of 'just' spoiling. When he first came to the club, he had a reputation for running the ball out of the backline and indeed in some of his early Reserves game I saw some of that. But it was either coached out of him or quite possibly he realised he was a bit too slow to do this at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth I think the difference between Maguire and no Maguire is pretty telling in defence. For the early part of last year the most frustrating habit of our game was the leaked goals out the back. Maguire came into the side about round 4-5 and that particular weakness was diluted.
Saturday definitely saw that habit creep back into our game.

You could well put it down to a lack of defensive cohesion and experience with Patfull, Adcock and Maguire missing. But I think Maguire's value is definitely undervalued.

i wouldn't be putting too much emphasis into the team that was putout against St Kilda and our 1st round team. I would assume the club is trialling a few things and some will work and some will not. I personally don't think Paparone is a viable option down back mainly due to his disposal by foot. In saying that though some could say the same about Merret. I am hoping to see some others put their hands up and force their way into the line up for rd 1.

Love Justin Clarke, but he does need to get a bit more of the ball instead of 'just' spoiling. When he first came to the club, he had a reputation for running the ball out of the backline and indeed in some of his early Reserves game I saw some of that. But it was either coached out of him or quite possibly he realised he was a bit too slow to do this at AFL level.
I don't think it is lack of pace. I just think he makes mistakes under pressure and you need to have a cool head in a rebound defensive role.

i wouldn't be putting too much emphasis into the team that was putout against St Kilda and our 1st round team. I would assume the club is trialling a few things and some will work and some will not. I personally don't think Paparone is a viable option down back mainly due to his disposal by foot. In saying that though some could say the same about Merret. I am hoping to see some others put their hands up and force their way into the line up for rd 1.
Agree in general. The difference between having Merrett and Paparone back there though is that Paps would be there to dispose of the ball - Merrett isn't.

Paparone in defence seems a classic pre-season experiment to me. With his ground coverage and mobility, he could really bring something to the side if he can learn some of the other parts of the role. His kicking is not as bad as it once was IMO (still needs work). I think he contests the ball well enough. He's not great overhead but he'd be OK against most medium forwards. Now is the time to try him in other roles because he's yet to really nail down a position.

I would rather have Paparone playing a tagger role or on the wing. He turned it over a couple of times, in which resulted in goals. Plus he does not have the upper body strength to influence a marking contest. I see him as a more of a link up player.

I would rather have Paparone playing a tagger role or on the wing. He turned it over a couple of times, in which resulted in goals. Plus he does not have the upper body strength to influence a marking contest. I see him as a more of a link up player.
I find the wing/outside mid area one of our greatest needs especially with Hanley out. His running ability and also frame would be ideal for this position. I'm not to sure about his line breaking speed but think that this is a good idea.

The Gardiner/Paparone debate is a bit misguided. Paparone was playing a pure half back role, rotating with either Rich or Beams. Paparone has offensive instincts and can cover the ground. His ability would be wasted in the pure defensive lock down role that Gardiner provides.

Bewick looked good, I hope he can play every game this year.

The other thing with a player like Paps is that moving him back is good for team balance to cover injury. Whilst he might not be best 22 in that spot, he would at least be familiar with it after being there all preseason. If he doesnt stay there it isnt a wasted venture either, as he does still need to learn more about the defensive side of his game at HF.

I look at what they did with Mayes last year, good user of the ball, noted HF/wing goal kicker. Moved into defense for a season and i think he would have learnt a lot. Seems to be back forward again this year and i think he will be an improved player for it.

The other thing with a player like Paps is that moving him back is good for team balance to cover injury. Whilst he might not be best 22 in that spot, he would at least be familiar with it after being there all preseason. If he doesnt stay there it isnt a wasted venture either, as he does still need to learn more about the defensive side of his game at HF.

I look at what they did with Mayes last year, good user of the ball, noted HF/wing goal kicker. Moved into defense for a season and i think he would have learnt a lot. Seems to be back forward again this year and i think he will be an improved player for it.

in the scratch match (nab challenge 1) he looked really good forward before going mid/back. He is poised for a killer season.

I just can't see what position Paparone will be playing in 5 years time. He needs to make big improvements in many parts of his game to be able to hold down any position.

Papa reminds me of Jack Watts in that he can't play any position on the footy field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back