Banter Round 1 2015 - Sydney VS. Essendon* Pre Season discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havnt followed the case too closely over the past 12 months duento the fact im sick of hearing about it so im a bit clueless. How does backdating the suspensions until last november work ??

Backdating from last November because thats when the infraction notices were issued and the players started their provisional suspensions.

I havnt followed the case too closely over the past 12 months duento the fact im sick of hearing about it so im a bit clueless. How does backdating the suspensions until last november work ??

The players took provisional bans, so their time would start from when they accepted those provisional bans.

I think that is about right. I have a difficult time understanding it and after 2 full years I have a difficult time caring anymore.
Thats absolutely ridiculous,how can bans count when players are in the off season. This has been absolute farce from the get go and it looks like they will get off scott free

Thats absolutely ridiculous,how can bans count when players are in the off season. This has been absolute farce from the get go and it looks like they will get off scott free

Because a Doping Tribunal doesn't decide a penalty based on games missed rather on length of time served. Also talk of 6 months is very hopeful as nothing suggest they have earned the discount. The starting point is 2 years, minimum is 12 months. 6 months only applies if they helped ASADA and/or their evidence led to further doping guilty findings. That hasn't happened and if 6 months is given the AFL doping tribunal better have a good reason for it otherwise the length will be appealed.

Because a Doping Tribunal doesn't decide a penalty based on games missed rather on length of time served. Also talk of 6 months is very hopeful as nothing suggest they have earned the discount. The starting point is 2 years, minimum is 12 months. 6 months only applies if they helped ASADA and/or their evidence led to further doping guilty findings. That hasn't happened and if 6 months is given the AFL doping tribunal better have a good reason for it otherwise the length will be appealed.
Those players won't play this year, will be lucky to play next year

If thats the case you would think there would be some very good bombers wanting out of a club that cost them 12 months of their careers
Look at Ryder. The thing is, would you pick up a player who hasn't played senior footy in 1-2 years?

That is pretty much what happened to the Cronulla players.

Except that the Cronulla players weren't issued with infraction notices, just plead guilty at the "show cause" stage keeping the matter out of the courts and not going to the NRL doping tribunal for which they received backdated bans of 12 months starting from November 2013 due to delays from ASADA which explained the small amount of games missed.

So the complete opposite really. Essendon can't expect 6 months if guilty going off the Cronulla investigation because their actions are the complete opposite. 12 months is the marker ban wise due to Cronulla if we are going to use that outcome

Except that the Cronulla players weren't issued with infraction notices, just plead guilty at the "show cause" stage keeping the matter out of the courts and not going to the NRL doping tribunal for which they received backdated bans of 12 months starting from November 2013 due to delays from ASADA which explained the small amount of games missed.

So the complete opposite really. Essendon can't expect 6 months if guilty going off the Cronulla investigation because their actions are the complete opposite. 12 months is the marker ban wise due to Cronulla if we are going to use that outcome
What happens if the sentencing date is sent months down the track?? Or does the penalty have to be handed down before a specific date??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens if the sentencing date is sent months down the track?? Or does the penalty have to be handed down before a specific date??

If found guilty the players are suspended from that moment. The sentencing hearing is important for to give them a ban length and return date, so they can start the appeal process. So that would be within the week not months.

They also won't be able to play while they are appealing unless leave is granted, which would reset the backdating clock to the end of the appeal process if they are unsuccessful and have leave granted and play.

You missed the point.
It is not about the Cronulla bans specifically, just how the process works with backdating and the like.

You missed the point.
It is not about the Cronulla bans specifically, just how the process works with backdating and the like.

Fair enough with backdating, as there is always a starting point logically (infraction notices meaning provisional bans start for Essendon and ASADA investigation end date being the point for the Cronulla players) but in general I'm sick of people saying the Cronulla case is pointer as to how the Essendon case will go if they are found guilty for the reasons I pointed out.

We'll find out a lot 31st March.

One thing I have found myself thinking about a lot recently is that if the miraculous happens and the Don's players aren't serving suspensions they are going to be coming off pretty much no match practice the entire pre season.

Either way suspensions or no suspensions I can't really see it affecting the margin too much.

i can't see how they dodge suspensions, but i have a feeling they will. It' just seems the AFL way (yes i know it's not them handing it down). Just doesn't feel right that the process will follow the natural course.

Going to be a BIG day on the 31st. Will be glued to the wireless for news on whether we are playing the Essendon side touted as being top 4 (touted by their own supporters) or the Essendon ressies side.

No point thinking about the R1 match until the 31st.

Longmire preparing for a full strength team you reckon? or do clubs have inside goss about this stuff

I really
Longmire preparing for a full strength team you reckon? or do clubs have inside goss about this stuff

I'd like to think he doesn't care who the opposition field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back