Prediction Round 10, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

So instead of being on page one, let the dust settle a little. We are playing the last game of the round on Sunday Afternoon vs playing say a Thursday or Friday. This gives Yeo and Gov extra days and they will be fine.

In Yeo, Culley and Waterman..

In - Ryan to half back, call has to be made. He has to play his game like Jetta. Not the high flying Ryan we used to know.

Out Petch, other talls to accomodate Waterman and Culley who will play fwd and bursts through middle. Who will be dropped? Darling, Williams or Maric. See below, it's coming closer.

Getting exciting for Flynn to Ruck, B Williams to CHF and also Oscar Allen back. Not too far away. Waiting updated injury list. Hoping for some progress on Hewett also.

We are officially getting better.

The experts (betting odds setters) are offering $1.17 on a Melbourne win. Just a few weeks ago with us playing a top 4 side (even at home), the odds would have ben well below $1.10, probably around $1.05.

Clear signs of improvement.

Poor Longy.
Hopefully a PCL isnt as bad as an ACL regarding recovery and he ia back for pre season and Rd1.
To the MSD thread I guess.

Poor Longy.
Hopefully a PCL isnt as bad as an ACL regarding recovery and he ia back for pre season and Rd1.
To the MSD thread I guess.
Didn't Duggan do a PCL at the end of year 2 or something?

Hopefully it has no lingering affects, Duggan has dealt with it alright so far, maybe with a clean up or two but no further damage through his career.

So now we have better line of sight of availability it makes changes a little more obvious.

In: Waterman, Yeo, Culley
Out: Petrucelle, Sheed, LEdwards

I wouldn’t mind Ginbey spending more time in defence like he did in second half last week, and Hunt spending a bit more time on wing.

In - Waterman, Yeo, Culley
Out - Petch, Sheed, LEdwards

Ginbey and Duggo to rotate through HB and mid.

I think Reuben will learn alot against quality mids this week, but has the ability to gain more conifidence as HB. Give him some freedom to see the game ahead of him and take it on.

If Yeo doesn't get up, then Sheed holds his spot.

If Gov doesn't get up, HEwards in.

I've got no idea what Simpson sees in Luke Edwards. No speed, fumbles, not a good kick. Surely Culley and Hall need a look in.
I think LEdwards deserved an extended crack for promising signs he has shown in the past while being in and out with injury. In the past he has shown an ability to find space in traffic where there was none, made good decisions and had neat skills. But he definately hasn't shown as much so far this year, so I agree it would be good to try someone else. Wonder if they could fit Culley in instead, at least we wouldn't be loosing speed.

The standards of what Eagles fans want has gone up. Fans are okay with one shocking game but two in a row idk. Hence we are rushing Yeo in if he's slightly ready

The standards of what Eagles fans want has gone up. Fans are okay with one shocking game but two in a row idk. Hence we are rushing Yeo in if he's slightly ready
Nah. After the last few years they'd cop a whole lot more if he was to reinjure himself than if we are to lose badly to the Dees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mention Hall a lot and reckon he needs a go. There's always some people hating on him!!
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

From the sounds of it Yeo was pain free a few days before the pies game, so probably could have played.
Resting him again if missing last week was already the conservative approach would just be silly.

If hes healthy bring him in 100% he makes our whole midfield play better, we get more out of everyone

The biggest change needed from my point of view is game style and mindset.
Last week showed a real return to the kick it sideways/backwards slow play that is frustratingly crap, instead of players taking that positive/aggressive run or kick through the corridor.

I agree but I also thing that they slowed the game down to gain control and possession a little bit as well because they were being absolutely hammered from centre bounces and slingshot ball (the defenders).

I think defensively though we've not been pressuring very well from our midfield/forwards which has meant the ball coming into our d50 hasn't been pressured.

Another issue is that Gov's our only player in the backline who can drill a pass across his body/off one step.

Duggan can drill kicks but more in line with the direction of his body (has done some good ones to Waterman and Maric inside 50 for example).

The game just gone was the first time I've seen Witherden consistently hit harder kicks, but he is one who is meant to be a good kick, sometimes he probably just tried too much in the past.

Rotham's played a bit better recently but his kicks are all a bit too uppish to attack the corridor, he prefers hitting someone on a long lead on the wings.

I do like having Hunt back there to help these guys break the lines a bit.

I agree but I also thing that they slowed the game down to gain control and possession a little bit as well because they were being absolutely hammered from centre bounces and slingshot ball (the defenders).

I think defensively though we've not been pressuring very well from our midfield/forwards which has meant the ball coming into our d50 hasn't been pressured.

Another issue is that Gov's our only player in the backline who can drill a pass across his body/off one step.

Duggan can drill kicks but more in line with the direction of his body (has done some good ones to Waterman and Maric inside 50 for example).

The game just gone was the first time I've seen Witherden consistently hit harder kicks, but he is one who is meant to be a good kick, sometimes he probably just tried too much in the past.

Rotham's played a bit better recently but his kicks are all a bit too uppish to attack the corridor, he prefers hitting someone on a long lead on the wings.

I do like having Hunt back there to help these guys break the lines a bit.
I reckon if wce have nine loose men in defence they stand a chance to not lose by 100pts this weekend.

The biggest change needed from my point of view is game style and mindset.
Last week showed a real return to the kick it sideways/backwards slow play that is frustratingly crap, instead of players taking that positive/aggressive run or kick through the corridor.
The game plan wasnt the issue, we were getting smashed and needed to hold up play at stages. No point running headfirst into a brickwall over and over

So now we have better line of sight of availability it makes changes a little more obvious.

In: Waterman, Yeo, Culley
Out: Petrucelle, Sheed, LEdwards

I wouldn’t mind Ginbey spending more time in defence like he did in second half last week, and Hunt spending a bit more time on wing.
Ginbey off half back was good for him in that he got touches and seemed to be more invovled. I just am sceptical of playing poor ball users (which he is at the moment) off half back. The turnovers coming from there are fatal.

Ginbey off half back was good for him in that he got touches and seemed to be more invovled. I just am sceptical of playing poor ball users (which he is at the moment) off half back. The turnovers coming from there are fatal.

I think his ball use is significantly better frkm half back than what it is from the midfield.

A bit like Duggan his ball use deteriorates considerably when kicking under pressure as a mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back