Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be fine with accepting our midfield sucks if I could see a way forward with our kids filling out the roles we are lacking.

Windy will be that midfielder we need, but he needs time.

Owens is too good at being a forward to get consistent minutes in the midfield.

Pou is clearly struggling.

It's concerning. The worse this run of form gets the more likely we will be to gamble a first rounder on a hail mary trade. But is one gun mid going to be enough? I doubt it.
no, no.. 1 quality mid is not enough.. we really need 3 to 4 more (include 18-19 year olds to develop in VFL)

That’s how non-existent our midfield is.. our runners are not effective because our non-existent midfield cannot absorb the pressure / break even against most sides

Remember how shithouse Melbourne were during the Roos era? How we laughed at them then. Didn't have a clue, we reckoned. Past it, we said. What does this so-called "footy genius" know that we don't, the peanut gallery mused.

Remember, Ross is there as a coaching mentor as well as a player mentor. Right now, the results are grim. So it goes. That's how learning happens.

I can't stand watching us play right now, but I'm hoping there's an end game I'm not seeing that will end with St Kilda being in contention for a decade and at least one premiership in the bag.

Glad l ECO'd after round 2 TBH.
Anyways it was boring AF but l thought the intent was better and it was more a failure to execute. There's plenty wrong but RTB didn't shirk anything and clearly knows what the reality is.

Good to see King finally pull his finger out. If he keeps it up it'll turn for him eventually.
Dow ok for a first hit out.
Still can't figure why Jones was selected, he's clearly cooked.

King struggles against Hawthorn. So, rather than give King a spell, Ross backs King in, and drops/manages Membrey and Hayes for Caminiti and Sharman. Heaps pressure on King to be #1 with two kids next to him.

King battles in first half but slightly better, Caminiti and Sharman offer very little.

Caminiti plays well for two minutes in the second half. Ross then decides "Right, great, Hammer's arrived, that should do for the rest of the game, I'll take Sharman off for a runner". Freo defenders go "How good", King and Caminiti don't fire a shot after that and we get walked over.

Now all five key forwards are out of form.

Whether any other way would have worked, I don't know, but the way it's been done has sucked.

IMO Hayes needed more faith. Otherwise, you pick a forward structure in good conditions, you back it in - subbing them off for a "runner" is not working. It's unfortunate that none of them are Riewoldt or Pavlich, too bad, work with what you've got.

For those that were at the game. How was the crowd at the start of the last quarter?
Umpire about to bounce the ball, scores are level, really need a win, let's go!
But no, crowd was just about completely muted, ho hum with next to zero enthusiasm.

I’m working tonight till 1am I hit record on way out - will be deleting and having a rest for at least a month after watching the hawthorn game last week - we are rock bottom

Good coaching got us there not talent.
we have been s**t for 14 years and arguably most of the 150 years in the comp.
yeah but instead of sucking it up 4-5 years ago and hitting the draft we went on a trading spree to stay competitive, another situation that being in debt forced our decision.

I don't think I've seen such a dumb performance by us. We were caught ball watching all night, constantly got sucked into the contest or had multiple players manning up on a single man - leaving others wide open and breaking the zone. Freo murdered us on the spread, then smashed us with pressure on our scrappy little chipping game.

So many dumb plays, Owens did well to kick 3 in the first half but that bbq in the last was a dead set coach killer. What I don't understand is simple under 10s stuff. Eg, if you aren't able to impact a marking contest, don't run up to within an arms length of the contest. If it falls over the back, noone can react that quickly to get the crumbs.

It's painful viewing, seeing it first hand we looked unwilling to work as hard as Freo all around the ground. Finally, being a forward of any description at St Kilda must be the toughest ask in AFL football.

Finally... are we the first club to tank for the midseason draft?

For those that were at the game. How was the crowd at the start of the last quarter?
Umpire about to bounce the ball, scores are level, really need a win, let's go!
But no, crowd was just about completely muted, ho hum with next to zero enthusiasm.

Yes because the crowd had spent the last three quarters watching a shit game.

Cooper Sharman is subbed out so spends 45% of the match on the ground, has 3 possessions and kicks 0.1.
Max King has more than double that time (97% ToG) and also registers one behind.
Trying is simply not enough when you are the spearhead.

Midfielders??? Do you think the club have come to realise they have a major list void?

Jack Steele would not be in the top 40 midfielders in the game at present and he is our best...it explains where we are at.
Brad Crouch when available is our next best but he would struggle to get 100 metres gained per game.
Marcus Windhager is young and still learning but has a future.
Paddy Dow basically another clubs reject but might go OK.

Seb Ross cooked, was never a top liner at any time.
Zak Jones never was, but also cooked.
Hunter Clark too slow and restricted to be a genuine mid.
Liam Henry another player who doesnt really like the hard in and under stuff.
Mitch Owens coaches don't believe he can play there.
Matteous Phillipou a long way off becoming an AFL midfielder.
Hugo Garcia a baby as far as development is concerned.
Wilson probably best suited to a wing, might develop.

That's our entire midfield group It makes for very ordinary reading, compared to most other clubs midfield possibilities. This inability to find genuine A graders midfielders has gone on at the club for decades and it's cruelled previous coaches and is also making Lyon look second rate. When are the club going to make the required changes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm emotionally done for now, grown professionals who can't tackles, handpass, kick or mark. Not talking about 18 year olds but late 20s early 30s professionals.
Sacking the coach won't help but a clean out is needed.

7 changes next week

Ins. Butler, Clark, Crouch, Hastie, Hayes, Higgins, Schoenmaker

Outs. Bonner, Collard, Jones, Paton, Phillipou, Sharman, Webster

Once upon a time I used to be down when we lost.
Absolutely no emotion tonight, basically couldn't care less.
Feel nothing for this nothing club, with its nothing culture, zero values. If the players don't care, why should we?
This is more disappointing than 2021.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brad Crouch named for Sandy tomorrow. IMO he's been a huge loss this year. Hope he has blinder because the sooner he is back in the team, the better for us. He definitely will make us more competitive and hopefully get the ship pointing in the right direction again.
I forgot to mention Higgins. It was a bullshit decision to give him 3 weeks and we have really missed him also

Midfielders??? Do you think the club have come to realise they have a major list void?

Jack Steele would not be in the top 40 midfielders in the game at present and he is our best...it explains where we are at.
Brad Crouch when available is our next best but he would struggle to get 100 metres gained per game.
Marcus Windhager is young and still learning but has a future.
Paddy Dow basically another clubs reject but might go OK.

Seb Ross cooked, was never a top liner at any time.
Zak Jones never was, but also cooked.
Hunter Clark too slow and restricted to be a genuine mid.
Liam Henry another player who doesnt really like the hard in and under stuff.
Mitch Owens coaches don't believe he can play there.
Matteous Phillipou a long way off becoming an AFL midfielder.
Hugo Garcia a baby as far as development is concerned.
Wilson probably best suited to a wing, might develop.

That's our entire midfield group It makes for very ordinary reading, compared to most other clubs midfield possibilities. This inability to find genuine A graders midfielders has gone on at the club for decades and it's cruelled previous coaches and is also making Lyon look second rate. When are the club going to make the required changes?
This is 100% and the most frustrating part is that it was evident 5-6 years ago and we didn't try to properly fix it.

How did Ben Paton go tagging Jordan Clark?! If the saints are serious, Paton and Z Jones should never play again and delisted at years end.

Play Hotton, Hastie and anyone with two arms and two legs over those two blokes.

Stocker, Seb and Membrey not playing VFL tomorrow, so they really are rested lol.
Couldn't be more right about those 2. Seb and Membrey can join them. 4 absolute plodders that are holding us back big time.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. Billings and Gresh were not real mids, Gresh was a forward who could rotate through the middle a bit but is limited by his kicking, Billings a winger/high half forward/half back at different stages of his career. We tried both too much through the middle when we should have just looked for cattle. It's the same sort of thing as playing Sinclair in the middle at the minute, he is an AA halfback who can go through the middle a bit but honestly is being pushed up due to lack of personnel. I'm confident Windhager will come on in the next 12 months, but that still leaves us at least 1 quality mid short.
Exactly, our wishful thinking / over-estimation in our list by Richo and Ratten is now haunting us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back