Autopsy Round 12 - Fremantle d Collingwood by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Ballas can wear the screws. His feet can't handle 'em. He takes his normal boots off 2 seconds after the game finishes.
Screw-ins, especially comfortable ones are getting harder and harder to find. Also given that the grounds are much firmer (well maintained) than in days of yore and the players run about twice the distance, they are very hard on the feet and very few players enjoy wearing them.

I mentioned your stats to my mate before the game and didn't it play out that way, particularly in the first half. I don't normally get too upset about umpiring but that was bordering on corrupt at times.

I think Collingwood are on their way to being a very good team, they have such classy young talent. Its quite depressing to realise we are still relying on a few old stars and the 2008 draft and Fyfe. Neale and Suttclife aside we have brought next to nothing in the door since 2009.
Sheridan is barely AFL standard and wouldn't get a game at Hawthorn, Crozier continues to tease. Hannath doesn't belong in AFL footy.
After thinking we had so much depth at the start of the year the cupboard is looking pretty bare.

I think we have to bring back Clarke, Mzungu and debut Weller and Blakely and possibly Grey. We just don't have enough talent out there.

Having said all that, you couldn't question the workrate and determination of the guys that took the field tonight. It was a very tough, bruising contest and I was proud of our boys for toughing it out to get the points.

Hawthorn in a couple of weeks will really tell us exactly where we stand. I suspect they will annihilate us. Without MJ and one of Dawson/Silvagni our backline is adequate at best and A Pearce is punching well above his weight. He (Pearce) shows all the signs of being a really good player and the one shining light in our tall stocks.

Send some of the young blokes on the road to Tassie. They are exciting young players and would be good to see how they measure up in the big time. I suspect your fellas will be more competitive than you think in Tassie.

This year the difference between your best and worst efforts is much smaller than in previous years and that is the reason you are 11-1. Call it the Fyfe factor or whatever, but successful teams in years past have always had a gun player to step up and drag their team over the line when others are below par around them. Is happening for you now and it will happen for others in the future. cheers

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-...-de-boer-query-players-boots-on-soggy-surface

Matt de Boer told AFL.com.au after the match that conditions had tricked the players after perfect weather in Perth in the days leading up to the game.

"The conditions were quite deceptive," de Boer said.

"It looked a nice night for footy but there were a few too many boys slipping over, which wasn't ideal. That will be addressed as well with boot selection.

Ray Charles could have seen it was going to be slippery last night, not good enough by our coaching staff and players.

Sheridan - being played out of position cleary. But did everyone miss the kick to Ballas, which was pivotal? Everyone else shitting the bed at the time, it was remarkable vision and composure. A rare commodity these days - when he gets his turn in the D Pearce role, we might see something.

Was hardly worst on.

Not 100% worried about our tall forwards. Neither of the collingwood tall forwards got a goal either. however how many kicks went OVER a leading forward in our F50? annoying!

Sheridan - being played out of position cleary. But did everyone miss the kick to Ballas, which was pivotal? Everyone else shitting the bed at the time, it was remarkable vision and composure. A rare commodity these days - when he gets his turn in the D Pearce role, we might see something.

Was hardly worst on.

Yes yes & yes, great pass, get him on a wing.

Yes yes & yes, great pass, get him on a wing.

Actually think for whole team betterment (probably not S Hill betterment ..) worthwhile trying a swap Sheridan and Hill for a patch. Not as absurd as it sounds considering Hill went back loose for whole Q4 last night.

Ideally youd wanna swap Sheridan with DPearce ... yeah nah.

Actually think for whole team betterment (probably not S Hill betterment ..) worthwhile trying a swap Sheridan and Hill for a patch. Not as absurd as it sounds considering Hill went back loose for whole Q4 last night.

Ideally youd wanna swap Sheridan with DPearce ... yeah nah.

It is very hard to make lots of changes because as RTB says no easy games of afl, but if Danyle P does not get to early season form rest him for a week & put shero on that wing.

I don't think Ballas can wear the screws. His feet can't handle 'em. He takes his normal boots off 2 seconds after the game finishes.
Clearly, the coach reckons some of them should be wearing them. It has come up in a couple of his latest pressers so he has someone(s) in his sights.

Seemed to get worse as the game wore on (and the dew set in).

Thank Christ the Pies gifted us so many out of bounds on the full in the last. That killed their run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm only into positives:
Thought Hill was BOG. Kept us in it early, then saved us in the backline at the end.
Fyfe was Fyfe, not his best game this year, but still near BOG.
Walters made the most of his opportunites, which was probably the difference between a win and a loss.
Sandi recovered from a slow start to dominate.
Thought Mayne was pretty good, a lot of pressure acts and got to a lot of contests and helped us get the ball out.
Lachie had one of his really good games, which are becoming commonplace
Surprised Crozier got subbed out as thought he was good, but can probably only play small forward or high HF, so if they are making the change and they want Hannath to stay for ruck purposes, who else comes off? Maybe D Pierce was the other option. If we had Johno or ZacD or even Tabs playing then Hannath would have been subbed as they could have rucked a bit.
I think we played ourselves into a bit of form the longer the game went.
Not sure why Barlow and Mundy are copping stick on here, both were pretty good. Barlow 9 tackles and 2nd for DT pts, Mundy 9 tackles & 22 possies.
TBH I can't believe that we are 11 & 1, yet so many want to complain and point out negatives :mad:.
Stop & Enjoy the ride :):)

I'm only into positives:
Thought Hill was BOG. Kept us in it early, then saved us in the backline at the end.
Fyfe was Fyfe, not his best game this year, but still near BOG.
Walters made the most of his opportunites, which was probably the difference between a win and a loss.
Sandi recovered from a slow start to dominate.
Thought Mayne was pretty good, a lot of pressure acts and got to a lot of contests and helped us get the ball out.
Lachie had one of his really good games, which are becoming commonplace
Surprised Crozier got subbed out as thought he was good, but can probably only play small forward or high HF, so if they are making the change and they want Hannath to stay for ruck purposes, who else comes off? Maybe D Pierce was the other option. If we had Johno or ZacD or even Tabs playing then Hannath would have been subbed as they could have rucked a bit.
I think we played ourselves into a bit of form the longer the game went.
Not sure why Barlow and Mundy are copping stick on here, both were pretty good. Barlow 9 tackles and 2nd for DT pts, Mundy 9 tackles & 22 possies.
TBH I can't believe that we are 11 & 1, yet so many want to complain and point out negatives :mad:.
Stop & Enjoy the ride :):)

Otherwise BF would be too quiet

I think it's sometimes easier to focus on the negatives. Maybe human nature. I so want this first premiership that I'd struggle with Freo coming so close this season. I feel that I'm being teased with them on top if we don't win the gf.

Was hardly worst on.

Agreed. I think he'll hold his spot.

I do know what you are saying JMT, there seems to be more negatives in a win than normal recently, and I guess it is wanting us to be perfect so we can win it all this year. We don't have to be perfect yet though, leave it for Sept/Oct.

In reply to those praising Sheridan for one kick. What about the turnovers or poor kicks and as bad or worse the hot potato lollipop hand passes to stationary players under pressure.

Wouldn't mind seeing him on a wing - but am at the place where I would prefer croz or Weller there first. Sheridan may turn into a solid player but he isn't looking like much more. Croz needs to get more of the ball and I hope they both get a few more games on the trot so we know what they can do long term. It's not good that they are in and out.

Weller however has shown the speed, toughness and foot skills pre draft and at wafl level that indicate he has more to offer than any of our wings apart from hill.

Some players getting found out when the game is on. We'll start changing but really need to settle the 22. Suttclife, Ballas, HannathSheridan aren't at the level they should be at. Croizer (sub was weird), Clarke, Tabs and Blakely/Weller to come in and settle the structure. Hill works so well rebounding and is a better option to have there instead of Duffield.

What RTB sees in sherridan only god knows - when in back line he was never body on body when ball was coming in and looked so lost.

He is more of a wing person - i understand RTB wants to get game time into players for future but not when defence is weak - Gu should have played !!!!

Loving being written off as a genuine contender by the Melb media & bitter supporters of other clubs now.
Sure, we won't win a GF playing like we did last night night but I'm not sure why anyone would think we don't have other gears to shift into. Was only a few weeks ago we were "unbeatable"!

Collingwood played great & pretty close to their max potential- we know we're capable of much better.

In regards to screw ins, how hard would it be to take some to the game with you and change if necessary? And further to that, they probably have a property steward who does for them all anyway.

I can't believe that a boot manufacturer can't come up with a comfortable pair of boots with long stops in 2015. Adidas get on it.

In regards to screw ins, how hard would it be to take some to the game with you and change if necessary? And further to that, they probably have a property steward who does for them all anyway.

I can't believe that a boot manufacturer can't come up with a comfortable pair of boots with long stops in 2015. Adidas get on it.

what i have found interesting is that two interviews now RTB has said it is a battle he has lost with the players telling them to wear the right shoes.

How difficult is it?

My 2cents.

Under slippery conditions other teams tackling pressure has tightened up our games.
Thank god we have only one more night game till round 23. (That will be Carlton at home in three weeks, so may be dewy again).
Hopefully we don’t play Port at night in round 23. If we get Friday it will be a 5 day break.
We’ve did enough to win, I’m happy with that. There are a few players who need to learn how to handle slippery conditions better.

Some of the umpires tried their best to roast us last night. At least there was one good one out there last night.

Was Barlow’s tackle in the last few mins the longest tackle ever, before the umpire finally admitted he had no choice but to call it holding the ball. Seem to take forever before he called holding.

We had a couple of certain Holding the ball calls just called as play on, one with obvious incorrect disposal. Sandi apparently doesn’t have arms that can be chopped in marking contests.

11-1 I’ll take that, come on the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back