Autopsy Round 14, 2023: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Not too upset about the loss tbh, thought we played with genuine heart for most of the game. A few dumb errors cost us dearly.

Crouch was fantastic, Sharman was brilliant when he came in (so many spoils!) and Butler is back to his 2020 self.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watching that game in Budapest, had a few Hungarians watch me lose my mind.

What a game though, a really tough loss. We took far too long to adjust to the wet weather, and ultimately that cost us. Even then we nearly could’ve snatched it if it wasn’t for some wayward goalkicking to end it.

Think we’ll be better off for it, high intensity game with a big crowd at the MCG is great development for the youth. And tbh, I don’t think many teams would’ve been able to defeat a Richmond team with all their stars firing for their captains 300th, in wet weather which notoriously suits their gamestyle.

A game we could’ve won, but ultimately it’s okay that we didn’t. I would be immensely more frustrated if we hadn’t adjusted at all, but was very happy to see we finally did, that’s the key take away here, the game looked like a blow out after that Vlaustin goal. Let’s just not make that same mistake twice moving forward. Effort and pressure was solid. A good competitive loss.

Butler, Crouch, Sinclair, Hill & Nas were notable for me, and could see many positives with the rest.

Onto Brisbane next week, head up Sainters

A year of exploration as RTB said

QF48Eic.gif

Oh well, the more you lose the more you learn.

On to next week 👍🏻

Tigers have been playing footy above their ladder position since Hardwick left, anyone who can't see that is blind.

Had a quality crack, clawed our way back in the wet to get within striking distance. Shame we couldn't convert a few more.

Howard would want to be careful, I've defended him but he was atrocious tonight. Could hardly hit a 5 meter handball.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Howard never plays another game and i am dead serious that will suit me just fine.

Sharman looked a lot better when he took over from him. Persist.

I thought we were pretty good for most of the night, we fought hard.

More games into young players and in time they will be thee ones carrying us over thee line in games like this.

and Steele needs surgery - sit out the rest of the year. He can soldier on but it's not helping him or the team.

We had plenty of chances to win it late. We bottled each and every one. Throughout the game we played nervous panicky footy, leading to turnovers and momentum loss.

This is a coaching issue and I guess it will take more than a few months to turn that around. But our list needs a broom through it - again. I really wish we'd been able to convince Jason Cripps to come home and sort our list out. Hopefully SOS can do so.

A few of our dependable had their colours lowered and came up against the wrong team at the wrong time, but realistically any team bar WCE would have beaten us today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches loss that one tonight for mine. Let the Tiges own their defensive 50 for way too long. Weren't able to manage our players to stop yet another avalanche of goals in a quarter after a great start.
Can't read a weather map too apparently as this showed what was coming.

There are aspects where I'd like to see improvement from recent years and not sure that I am. Perhaps though that ceiling we've being head butting for the past 5 years is the limit for a lot of this group and we just have to have fingers crossed that the coaching development of the 6 to 7 kids drafted in the past 2 years will be better than whar the 26 year old plus group got as there seems to be good talent there.

Oh well, I only saw from the start of the 2nd quarter but while it was a frustrating match, Im not that annoyed. Tigers have show form in their last 6 matches and it was always going to be a slog, we have not shown anything that is convincing football since before the North match.

Only fell over at the execution of the final shots, could have got up to be honest.

Hopefully the cricket goes a bit better tonight.
We made a decent game of it in the end.
Were just late to adapt. That, and some comical errors ball-in-hand in defence, really cost us in the end.
Would have loved Max and Pou to give the eye of the tiger when taking their shots in the end. Give a wink, show some swagger. Sometimes Max looks like he's approaching Mordor when he gets these shots. That push and shove early was almost the last we saw of him. Not sure I'd be doing that against Balta - save the energy, keep moving.

Also wasted a lot of entries when it was dry early with blind snaps forward or an inability to kick it to advantage.

Anyway, not a bad enough effort to haunt me for the weekend like some of our losses. That's a win of sorts.

Kudos to McQualter he has turned Richmond around in 3 weeks and actually got the better of RTB in the box tonight.

Some positives were the games of NWM, Ross, Crouch, Hill, Butler and Wilkie. The other positive on our current trajectory of W, L, W, L, W, L we will win next week!

Absolute shockers had by Howlers Howard, Never won a Battle, Alloy or Steele, Gresham the Hamster, Pecker Woods, O-wen-its wet I go missing, and Ross the loss to Mini the Boss!:p:p:p

But seriously until we find some genuine midfield talent we are going nowhere. I would rather not play finals and get some decent draft picks and attack another draft. I think we have got ahead of ourselves as far as the list is concerned, there is nothing in the VFL and we still have a 1/3 of the side who are injury prone hacks. This side doesn't deserve to be playing finals with their lack of talent and consistency.

Last edited:
He was solid but Richmond had 31 clearances between Bolton, Prestia, Taranto, Martin & Cotchin. We were slaughtered out of stoppages.
bloke gave credit to WH in the middle of his second season and you compared him to about 800 games experience, brownlow medalist, Norm smith medalist and multiple premiership midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back