Autopsy Round 14 vs Carlton Blues @ Melbourne Cricket Ground - 18/06/23 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hope we can transition ok from basically 2 wet weather games in Darwin, to playing on the MCG after a week off in between. Havent been this excited about the clubs position for a long time but still have trust issues haha!

Just to add a little extra for this game - our all time record against Carlton is 7 wins / 9 losses and this is the first of two games this year where we face them. Therefore, if we beat Carlton in this game then we'll have the opportunity to secure a 50 / 50 all-time record against them at The Bank in round 23. We're quickly correcting our all-time records against sides like having a positive 10 win / 8 loss all-time record against North Melbourne, an almost even 6 wins / 7 loss all-time record against Richmond and hopefully an even 9 win / 9 loss record against Carlton later this year.

This is a potential coach killer game (for Carlton). Those of us remember when we beat a few sides, their coach would be sacked the following week such was the pressure and embarrassment from losing against us.

My memory sucks on this, but I feel like it happened twice?

This is a potential coach killer game (for Carlton). Those of us remember when we beat a few sides, their coach would be sacked the following week such was the pressure and embarrassment from losing against us.

I think we would be more embarassed than them if we lost at this stage.

Yeah we sent Ratten and Bolton to their graves

I rate him as a coach
He has a semi ok list to work with-it's not a Grand Final winning list though

Dunno... list is OK. They look broken mentally and game plan is almost non existent. Don't think Voss is a coach in the same quality he was as a player personally.

Dunno... list is OK. They look broken mentally and game plan is almost non existent. Don't think Voss is a coach in the same quality he was as a player personally.
That’s a pretty high bar though. He was one of the best players I’ve had the pleasure of watching in 40+ years. If he played for a big Vic club he’d be treated as a god.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a pretty high bar though. He was one of the best players I’ve had the pleasure of watching in 40+ years. If he played for a big Vic club he’d be treated as a god.

He kind of is but I do think he's a rubbish coach living on his name right now. Who knows though.

Is the list okay though?
Top shelf - Cerra, Cripps, McKay (terribly out of form), Walsh, Weitering, C Curnow, Saad.
After that there's B graders and then list cloggers.
Every year they get talked up and then fall over.
There last finals appearance off their own bat was in 2011 (2013 by default with Essendon being penalised)
If it keeps going they'll drop off into being irrelevant and nowhere near a big 4 team.

They are broken and Voss doesn't even look like being a decent coach

Is the list okay though?
Top shelf - Cerra, Cripps, McKay (terribly out of form), Walsh, Weitering, C Curnow, Saad.
There last finals appearance off their own bat was in 2011 (2013 by default with Essendon being penalised)
If it keeps going they'll drop off into being irrelevant and nowhere near a big 4 team.

Yeah I hear you but it's a lot better than where they sit on the ladder now.

Weller, Ellis & Lemmens would all be handy inclusions @ the G.

Berry, Uwland, maybe Davies? …to make way.

Farrar a versatile sub.

Weller, Lemmens and Ellis all available is great.

Hard to replace anyone in a winning team, if you are being harsh you could go:

Weller > Fiorini
Ellis > Davies
Lemmens > Berry

A bit more outside run on the wide open expanses of the G.

However, any player dropped after the past couple of weeks would be very stiff, all of them have done their job.

Pretty funny to think some in here were crying about us not getting Voss a little while ago.
If Voss does get the sack then I'd still take him on as an assistant coach to work with our midfield group. I think that's his strong suit in the coaching sphere.

I think we can half claim him anyway. He grew up in Beenleigh back when it was a Gold Coast suburb.

Weller, Lemmens and Ellis all available is great.

Hard to replace anyone in a winning team, if you are being harsh you could go:

Weller > Fiorini
Ellis > Davies
Lemmens > Berry

A bit more outside run on the wide open expanses of the G.

However, any player dropped after the past couple of weeks would be very stiff, all of them have done their job.
And these blokes, plus potentially Buderick all go back and play Ressies, the twos are gonna be the best two’s team ever. They would probably beat at least two if not three AFL teams.
Not to mention someone notable is going to get dropped from the ressies, like Hollands..

Is the list okay though?

I think it's more their off field/back office that has been a shambles the past decade
They have had 5-6 coaches in the past 10 years, imagine some of these players getting confused in their development and football philosophies over that period. No wonder that debacle in the back office transfers onfield in a fragile mental state and confusion.

Carlton players are now under enormous mental pressure, but some aspects of their game like contest and defence are sound. Basically, most losses were by 20-25 points.

It will be no gimme for Suns. Carlton will be desperate, and it will click for them eventually. More than danger away game. Suns also have pretty abysmal record after bye.

Last edited:
Berrry would be a bit stiff to be dropped. Had 5 tackles before subbed out. Not to mention his inside 50 kicks were delightful. On target that resulted in goals.
I think the pressure he applies would he important when playing Carlton.

For future reference, we're currently $2.08 underdogs in the eyes of the bookies for this one. I dare say we'll be even money with the Blues at some point next week, particularly if they lose to Essendon on Sunday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back