Autopsy Round 14 vs Carlton Blues @ Melbourne Cricket Ground - 18/06/23 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m very pleased to be able to post again because whenever we lose a Mini GF then it’s most likely I don’t get another opportunity.
However well done To the Coaching Staff for what happened in NT.

Now that the clubs bye is over and the players are back it’s time for the organisation and all the Victorian Supporters to bloody well switch on for this outrageously important match in our clubs history.

We play a big huge precious VFL club at the MCG that’s under enormous vic media pressure.

The VFL umpires will give them a 4 goal advantage over us minimum and it’s a game we simply cannot drop.

So Dew needs to play our absolute best 22 this week. No resting of players and I’d like us to go down there early into camp and absolutely give this one the full Mini GF treatment.

Lose this and the season could actually fall away quickly.

So to the VIC supporters, get organised, be loud and get there.

This is Mini GF at the G.

Don’t lose.

That is every game from now until we are mathematically eliminated.
We are likely to go 0-2 the next two weeks, then beat the Pies at the Bank.
One day we will some trust in our team and then they will back it up on the field. But not yet.

4 losses left. I want to keep them in the bank for a while

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just seen footage of a bloke absolutely giving it to the blues players as they walk off the ground.

No chance they win, absolute rock bottom.

“Take your jumper off, all of you. You are a disgrace”

They have 4 leaders who laid 4 tackles combined, and the other 18 are just terrible d graders

Just seen footage of a bloke absolutely giving it to the blues players as they walk off the ground.

No chance they win, absolute rock bottom.

“Take your jumper off, all of you. You are a disgrace”

They have 4 leaders who laid 4 tackles combined, and the other 18 are just terrible d graders

You're not far wrong. Our top end are horribly out of form. We have about 8 exceptional players none of whom have performed consistently over the last two months.(including Curnow who's service is deplorable). Much of the others are so completely lost without our guns in form that they may as well he playing cricket instead of footy on the G.

If the top end were performing then the lesser talents would be more than serviceable. But they're not so they've essentially become deck chairs on the Titanic.

Where you'll kill us is with pace. Bring the same energy you had against Adelaide and it'd almost be enough in itself. We cannot keep up and are truly stuck in mud. Treacle slow

Anyways, good luck to the Suns this week. As one eyed as I am I can't help but cheer on the Suns at the same time. Being a member for most of the last 8 years (since I moved up here) and having an extended family member join the club as a player a few years later has made me embrace your club.

This is your year.

In the past, this is the game we drop to Carlton (or teams in a similar position) after showing really good signs in the previous few games and then thinking, based on any type of reasonable metric, that we should win.

The improvement since the end of round 4 has been stark.

End of Rd 4, we were 1-3 with 71%

In the rounds since, we have come away with 5-3 with 118%

Granted, we have played North and Eagles in that run, we also beat, Adelaide coming off a win against Brisbane and the Bulldogs, breaking a 5 game win streak, so I can see where the confidence is starting to bubble up from, but I’m still worried that we just don’t turn up on Sunday, Carlton break their 5 game losing streak and we’re being talked about being shipped of to Darwin again.

Hopefully this years side can start to undo some of the ingrained fears of the past and establish that we should be in the finals discussion or at least taken more seriously as a threat to those that are trying to either stay or get into the eight themselves.

This game will show us a lot about us.

A finals calibre team just gets the job done.

An also ran coughs up this game.

I know we can win, I just don’t know where we sit.
I know we can win - just feels 50:50 and hopefully Carlton capitulates and implode for our benefit :cool:

Looks like it will be very cold and wet for this one.
We've been playing in similar conditions to wet weather footy for our last two games and were able to pull off two big wins against in-form teams so I wouldn't be too worried about that. The cold shouldn't really be an issue either because the boys will barely feel it once the they start running around for a few minutes and are warmed up. If anything, I think a bit of rain favours us because we're used to those slippery conditions and Carlton probably need near perfect conditions if they want Curnow & McKay to have big games.

With the news of Weller and Lemmens being 2 weeks away, it probably means we go into this game almost unchanged from the win over the Crows.

Depending on how he trains, Ellis experience on the expanses of the G might come in handy and maybe would be the one change I would look to flip.

4 losses left. I want to keep them in the bank for a while
Think about it this way. If we can win these next two against Carlton and Hawthorn (which we should) then we'll only need to win 5 of our final 9 games of the season to get to the magic 13 win number. A slightly better than 50% record in the last 9 weeks of the season seems very doable but we really need to win the next 2 in order to have a realistic shot at it.

So, if we want to be taken seriously this year then this is the exact type of game that we should win by 5-6 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think about it this way. If we can win these next two against Carlton and Hawthorn (which we should) then we'll only need to win 5 of our final 9 games of the season to get to the magic 13 win number. A slightly better than 50% record in the last 9 weeks of the season seems very doable but we really need to win the next 2 in order to have a realistic shot at it.

So, if we want to be taken seriously this year then this is the exact type of game that we should win by 5-6 goals.
Just warning. The worst loss by Carlton was by 34 points in the last 6 games, all other losses were under 30 points. If Carlton were more accurate in front of goals, they would have won probably 3-4 of those games. If it clicks for them early and with umpires' 2-3 goals help, we could be in trouble especially if we start as poorly as in Darwin games.

I am praying for no post bye blues. Lions and Freo struggled. I take 1 point win every time.

Just warning. The worst loss by Carlton was by 34 points in the last 6 games, all other losses were under 30 points. If Carlton were more accurate in front of goals, they would have won probably 3-4 of those games. If it clicks for them early and with umpires' 2-3 goals help, we could be in trouble especially if we start as poorly as in Darwin games.

I am praying for no post bye blues. Lions and Freo struggled. I take 1 point win every time.
Considering they haven't even managed to kick 60 points at any stage over the last month, I would say scoring is a massive issue for them at the moment. Possibly making matters worse is that the forward struggling the most (McKay) is playing his 100th in this game so he's going to be feeling the pressure even more than usual. Their fans are turning on them and I think the club as a whole is cracking under the pressure.

We just have to show up from the very start of the game and take our chances when they're there. If we can do that then I'm pretty confident that we'll walk away with the W, but I'd also take 1 point victory if it means we get that crucial 7th win for the season. I hope our boys embrace the big crowd MCG experience instead of going into their shells.

Considering they haven't even managed to kick 60 points at any stage over the last month, I would say scoring is a massive issue for them at the moment. Possibly making matters worse is that the forward struggling the most (McKay) is playing his 100th in this game so he's going to be feeling the pressure even more than usual. Their fans are turning on them and I think the club as a whole is cracking under the pressure.

We just have to show up from the very start of the game and take our chances when they're there. If we can do that then I'm pretty confident that we'll walk away with the W, but I'd also take 1 point victory if it means we get that crucial 7th win for the season. I hope our boys embrace the big crowd MCG experience instead of going into their shells.
It’s not scoring. It’s kicking straight. If Carlton balance out to at least 50% or higher, they are suddenly more threatening. Confidence is a crazy thing.

It’s not scoring. It’s kicking straight. If Carlton balance out to at least 50% or higher, they are suddenly more threatening. Confidence is a crazy thing.
That's a scoring issue. They are scoring too many behinds and not enough goals. In saying that, it's not always as simple as 'did you kick straight tonight?'

If you dig deeper you start to look at certain areas like positioning of set shots i.e. if we have 20 set shots on goal for the night but 15 of them are 50m out on the boundary then we're probably going to have a bad night on the scoreboard.

Then we dig deeper and look into the inside 50 entries and ask why we're able to mark the ball 50m out on the boundary but we can't seem to mark the ball 20m out straight in front/on a slight angle. Is it a midfield issue? Do we not rebound efficiently out of the backline? Are our forward creating congestion clusters deep inside 50? etc etc

Just asking if a team kicked straight is simplifying it too much to the point where you're missing out on important data that explains what's really going on.

You give any AFL team 20 shots directly in front of goal 20m out and they're going to kick at least 15 goals. Take that same team and give them 20 shots 50m out on the boundary and the result probably reverses.

Scoring is a multifactorial area of the game.

Expect dodgy umpiring as usual
full

Remove this Banner Ad

Back