Preview Round 18 - Essendon Bombers vs Geelong Cats - Saturday, July 15th - 7:25 pm - GMHBA Stadium

Did anyone notice I kept forgetting to add a poll?

• No, because polls are stupid

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yes, we love the polls. Polls for everyone

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Hobbs reminds me to Selwood, but with a bit more forward nous.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Tomahawk has the best nickname in the AFL.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No to Fantasia. We need to look forward not backward. Upward, not forward.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards victory.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWS play home games and finals at Giants Stadium, not the SCG. Gold Coast play home games at Metricon and I assume they'll play home finals there too should they ever earn the right, not the Gabba. Both are basically the same or closer than Geelong and Melbourne.

Geelong isn't Melbourne. I see no reason bleating about an unfair advantage Geelong have when they've simply maintained playing at their home ground. The fact we don't play there often is good luck to us, when we do we have no right to complain given we play so many away games at our home ground(s).

I agree with Brad Scott.

'We learned a lot': Bombers raring for Cats rematch

"I feel for our fans that want to go to the game and won't be able to get a seat," he said.

"But they don't move the game from the Adelaide Oval when it's a sellout.

"I mean, it's Geelong's home ground. It's their home game.

"It's interesting when people talk about fairness for different reasons, but we are as a club, more than happy to play an opposition club at their home ground."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that you mention it, Sydney taking on the Dogs tonight - a real conundrum for the umps as they try to work out which team to favour more….
Do you watch Sydney games outside of us? They get hammered by the umps.

I can't believe we are complaining about a home side having a home ground advantage?! I think it is fantastic that Geelong has been able to keep its home ground and that bombers have a chance to go down the highway and play. I grew up in Geelong and my family are massive Cats fans.. the money that AFL brings in is huge for regional towns and why shouldn't teams have a home ground advantage?

We get the advantage of playing many away games at our 'home' grounds.. plus the advantage of not having interstate travel every 2nd week. Fair enough that once every 10 years we travel an hour down a highway.

As to the actual game.. Flip being out will hurt especially with draper still gone. What a silly, stupid act that may cost us a chance of an upset win. Urghh.

If Ridley plays then I think we could go very close to an upset and I'd give us a chance. If Ridley doesn't play then I think the Cats by around 4 goals. Shiel must not be sub.. either play him or send him back to VFL. I'd send him back to VFL.

I can't believe we are complaining about a home side having a home ground advantage?! I think it is fantastic that Geelong has been able to keep its home ground and that bombers have a chance to go down the highway and play. I grew up in Geelong and my family are massive Cats fans.. the money that AFL brings in is huge for regional towns and why shouldn't teams have a home ground advantage?

We get the advantage of playing many away games at our 'home' grounds.. plus the advantage of not having interstate travel every 2nd week. Fair enough that once every 10 years we travel an hour down a highway.

As to the actual game.. Flip being out will hurt especially with draper still gone. What a silly, stupid act that may cost us a chance of an upset win. Urghh.

If Ridley plays then I think we could go very close to an upset and I'd give us a chance. If Ridley doesn't play then I think the Cats by around 4 goals. Shiel must not be sub.. either play him or send him back to VFL. I'd send him back to VFL
Apart from marks around the ground you have to wonder how important a ruckman is at ball ups. Freo monstered Carlton in the hitouts but Blues killed them in clearances. Their midfield just sharked the Freo hitouts.

My last prediction as I don't think we're getting an injury update before the release of teams:

In: Nick Bryan, Kaine Baldwin, Tex Wanganeen
Out: Andrew Phillips (Sus), Jordan Ridley (inj), Dylan Shiel

McGrath (Close) - Baldwin (Hawkins) - Kelly (Stengle)
Laverde (Rohan) - Zerk-Thatcher (Cameron) - Redman (Miers)
Martin - Caldwell - Durham
Langford (Stewart) - Weideman (De Koning) - Wanganeen (Tuohy)
Stringer (Henry) - Wright (Ratugolea) - Menzie (Guthrie)
Bryan - Merrett - Hobbs
Heppell - Parish - Perkins - Guelfi
Snelling

My last prediction as I don't think we're getting an injury update before the release of teams:

In: Nick Bryan, Kaine Baldwin, Tex Wanganeen
Out: Andrew Phillips (Sus), Jordan Ridley (inj), Dylan Shiel

McGrath (Close) - Baldwin (Hawkins) - Kelly (Stengle)
Laverde (Rohan) - Zerk-Thatcher (Cameron) - Redman (Miers)
Martin - Caldwell - Durham
Langford (Stewart) - Weideman (De Koning) - Wanganeen (Tuohy)
Stringer (Henry) - Wright (Ratugolea) - Menzie (Guthrie)
Bryan - Merrett - Hobbs
Heppell - Parish - Perkins - Guelfi
Snelling
Just saw Cox trained with the group as a defender but I agree, Baldwin is the guy.

You don't reckon ADJ looked more lively than Tex?

Apart from marks around the ground you have to wonder how important a ruckman is at ball ups. Freo monstered Carlton in the hitouts but Blues killed them in clearances. Their midfield just sharked the Freo hitouts.

I get the point and but watch last week’s game again, and assess our momentum / dominance when Phillips was rucking vs when Weid was rucking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back