Autopsy Round 18: West Coast Eagles V Richmond - Toast, Roast & Changes for next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats from the weekend:
Lennon 28 disposals (19k/9hb) 10 marks 6 handball receives 2 tackles
Hampson 11 disposals (6k/5hb) 5 marks(1 contested) 5 tackles 40 hitouts
Griffiths 19 disposals (12k/7hb) 2 handball recieves 10 marks (2 contested) 4 tackles 1 goals 20 hitouts
Grigg 30 disposals (16k/14hb) 14 handball receives 5 marks (1 contested) 5 tackles 1 goal
McBean 15 disposals (9k/6hb) 2 handball receives 6 marks (1 contested) 1 tackle 2 goals
McDonough 11 disposals (5k/6hb) 6 handball receives 1 marks 2 tackles 2 goals
Knights 16 disposals (9k/7hb) 8 handball receives 2 marks 3 tackles 1 goal
Arnot 18 disposals (12k/6hb) 5 handball receives 4 marks 8 tackles 1 goal
Banfield 5 disposals (2k/3hb) 1 contested mark 7 tackles
Edwards 18 disposals (12k/6hb) 9 handball receives 6 marks 4 tackles
Stephenson 7 disposals (3k/4hb) 1 handball receive 1 mark 2 tackles 19 hitouts
Darrou 14 disposals (8k/6hb) 4 handball receives 3 marks 1 tackle
Helbig 13 disposals (6k/7hb) 6 handball receives 2 marks (1 contested) 4 tackles
Williams 11 disposals (6k/5hb) 2 handball receives 3 kicks 5 tackles
O'Hanlon 16 disposals (8k/8hb) 6 handball receives 5 marks (1 contested) 3 tackles
Elton 8 disposals (4k/4hb) 4 handball receives 1 contested mark 1 tackle
Dea 11 disposals (7k/4hb)2 marks 2 tackles

From that I'd say those in line for elevation to the seniors would be: Lennon Griffiths Hampson Grigg McBean Arnot

Everybody knows I defend Petterd because I think he cops far too much criticism.
But we are getting to a place (even if temporarily) that I've been trying to point out in defending him.
He's been in really good form, but in typical Petterd fashion throughout his career he got injured at a bad time.
For me he now returns via the seconds .
That's where we should be and where we are getting to.
I do expect that he will probably find his way back fairly quickly because we still aren't deep enough and his attitude when he goes back is first class.
But earlier this year he returned straight back from injury without playing twos ,so if it doesn't happen this time, when he's actually in better form,that's positive progress.

Everybody knows I defend Petterd because I think he cops far too much criticism.
But we are getting to a place (even if temporarily) that I've been trying to point out in defending him.
He's been in really good form, but in typical Petterd fashion throughout his career he got injured at a bad time.
I do expect that he will probably find his way back fairly quickly because we still aren't deep enough and his attitude when he goes back is first class.
But earlier this year he returned straight back from injury without playing twos ,so if it doesn't happen this time, when he's actually in better form,that's positive progress.

He only missed one didn't he? I'd agree if he'd missed 3 or 4 but if you miss just 1 and are considered to be in the best 22 (not saying he is or isn't) but that is acceptable to come straight back in isn't it?

He only missed one didn't he? I'd agree if he'd missed 3 or 4 but if you miss just 1 and are considered to be in the best 22 (not saying he is or isn't) but that is acceptable to come straight back in isn't it?
If your in the bottom 6 then you generally come back through the seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He deserves a round house kick to the head of his. These commentators or so called 'analysis' have a job to do and that is to comment on the game and on both teams playing... I understand he hates Richmond (and we all hate Carlton so no love lost) BUT don't be a blind sided, bitter, old fart and show your hatred for everyone to see. Biased piece of cr*p who speaks nothing but sh*t!!!

I understand the idea of kicking him, but that he has a head is news to me & even less believable a brain by implication ???

Rodney, I am happy to say to Petterd he has proven me wrong. IMO he should be starting 22 till one of our kids kicks him out ala Grigg being put out by Ellis.

He made a lot of mistakes, he doesn't make us a better side.

It was a game in a mud heap - mistakes are the norm

unlike most however, he quickly adapted to the confditions

Rodney, I am happy to say to Petterd he has proven me wrong. IMO he should be starting 22 till one of our kids kicks him out ala Grigg being put out by Ellis.
I still think He is best 22 ordinarily but I wouldn't say that you go silly at selection just to get him back in.
Depending what they have in mind for him I guess as far as a role goes.
Being GWS there probably isn't one and he'll be stiff to miss out on a chance against them.
It's just the way the cookie crumbles.
I only bring it up because I see most have him returning but it won't shock me if he doesn't.

Watching Tim Clarke's VFL wrap-up on Roar Vision, he said that Grigg probably has a few little things to work on in his training before he is ready to play again at senior level. As others have said, we don't really need him now anyway because Ellis is playing his role better than he has ever played it.

Clarke also said Knighta is tracking nicely and his quiet game on the weekend was mainly down to him playing at half forward in a team whose midfield wasn't getting the ball into our forward line.

Sorry but I disagree. He is a cut above Gordon and Lloyd (who is too slow!!!)

I still think He is best 22 ordinarily but I wouldn't say that you go silly at selection just to get him back in.
Depending what they have in mind for him I guess as far as a role goes.
Being GWS there probably isn't one and he'll be stiff to miss out on a chance against them.
It's just the way the cookie crumbles.
I only bring it up because I see most have him returning but it won't shock me if he doesn't.

Once I would have said why are we even considering him for selection... But he has proven me wrong since his role in the team has changed and I think his performances the 3-4 weeks before he got injured were that good he should be an automatic selection if fit. He brings everything to the table that Grigg doesn't and arguably has better skills (or more useful skills).

If he's fit he should be back in this week as we need to treat teams like GWS like Hawthorn or Geelong to ensure we do not under perform and gain as much percentage as possible.

**We might need percentage to get into the 8 ;)

Do you want him in the side every week??

If he's playing better than those competing for that role, yes

The idea of dropping a guy who is performing just because you don like him is stupid

If he's playing better than those competing for that role, yes

The idea of dropping a guy who is performing just because you don like him is stupid
He's not going to make us a better side though, our season is really over why not try someone younger with some potential. There's no way he should be on our list next year. He looks like and old man on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back