Autopsy Round 2 – Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 31st March 2018, MCG, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

My take aways from today's game
  • all the talk about Kelly being one of the top mids in the comp and I don't even think he is the best mid in his own team. Don't get me wrong he is a gun but the opening two rounds have reaffirmed my thoughts that Coniglio is our best mid and close to best player.
  • Haynes/Corr/Tomlinson have a fight on their hands for the two or three tall defenders spots. Finlayson is showing himself to be a very dangerous proposition. More as a third or fourth tall defender but he has really shown himself to be step above the others with his disposal.
  • I'm not convinced Corr would have been the first choice to replace Greene if we had player at home. I suspect he was travelling emergency and was the only player available.
  • If we use our foots kills and hit up targets and use our run on the back of it there aren't many teams in the comp that will be able to go with us. However when we go into autopilot and kick long to the sideline out of defence, long down the line on the wing and then bomb it into the 50 then any team is a chance of knocking us off because it is so predictable and it is very hard to retain possession.
  • Good signs seeing Deledio find a bit more of the ball. Still a long way from his best but getting his hand on the ball more is a good sign.
  • Lloyd and Corr to miss out against the swans for Hopper and Greene

The good, the bad, the ugly & the question marks from my perspective:

Good
- we won at the G, in a game that many times in the past we would have lost.
- Cogs, how good is he going? Clearances, tackles & importantly composure & goals. Ramped it up when required, will be the next GWS captain when Cal & Phil step aside. We missed him last year; if he can stay healthy this year will take us far.
- ToJ, how the * good is this kid in only his third game? So much composure, mopping up at the back & penetrating kicks.
- Lachie, the kid continues to shine in defence; couple of errors, but a lot to like, plus a clutch goal.
- Cal, continues to lead from the front in the clearances.
- Tim Taranto, continues to build - certainly no sign of second year blues from him; becoming an important midfield player.
- Brett Deledio is building.
- Zac Langdon, doing his job and getting a couple of clutch goals for us - good to see that pick worked out for us.
- solid games from Dylan Shiel, Heath Shaw, Matt de Boer: the ingredients are all there.
- Kelly was off today, but still tackled his arse off.

Bad
- composure poor at times.
- poor execution of hand passes and kicks at times - straight over the heads of our player to theirs, or too short.
- lack of talk with so many times we were tackled in possession.
- that 5 GWS players on 2 Pies just outside the goal square & couldn't kick a goal.

Ugly
- Tom Scully's injury :sick: - who replaces him now?

Question marks
- Rory Lobb: as expected, belted a bit in the ruck, but he's still very early days learning his craft, but really stood tall around the ground with his marking; got the tap for Lachie's sealing goal.
- can we bring it at the G? Seems to be some mental block, hopefully today's game might have eased that.

In the end, happy that we got up at the G over the Pies - bank the 4 points. Plenty to take away to learn however. Leon has a bit to do looking at the team for next week; Sydney will be a huge challenge and we need the right, balanced team to defeat them. And hopefully Toby's back - today showed how much we rely on him in the F50.

Sam Reid feels like a placeholder for me, but not sure whose place he is holding. Im not even sure what his role is. He seems to drift around and makes the occasional contribution but is never noteworthy either good or bad....thoughts

Hopper was my thought as well but Bonar will get a run soon and that may work.
Greene will hopefully be back next week. Sculls is out for a big chunk so we have lost that run again so who fills his spot. Hopper is knocking on the door is there room for Bonar or even Shipley ATM

Last edited:
Kennedy, Perryman or Cumming will end up in that role.
Leon suggested he hopes Perryman will in a presser last week, I think that's a strong clue. Mature defenders in Kennedy and Bunts will be hard to hold out when they are ready you'd think. Might be a while given the time out they've had though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take aways from today's game
  • all the talk about Kelly being one of the top mids in the comp and I don't even think he is the best mid in his own team. Don't get me wrong he is a gun but the opening two rounds have reaffirmed my thoughts that Coniglio is our best mid and close to best player.
  • Haynes/Corr/Tomlinson have a fight on their hands for the two or three tall defenders spots. Finlayson is showing himself to be a very dangerous proposition. More as a third or fourth tall defender but he has really shown himself to be step above the others with his disposal.
  • I'm not convinced Corr would have been the first choice to replace Greene if we had player at home. I suspect he was travelling emergency and was the only player available.
  • If we use our foots kills and hit up targets and use our run on the back of it there aren't many teams in the comp that will be able to go with us. However when we go into autopilot and kick long to the sideline out of defence, long down the line on the wing and then bomb it into the 50 then any team is a chance of knocking us off because it is so predictable and it is very hard to retain possession.
  • Good signs seeing Deledio find a bit more of the ball. Still a long way from his best but getting his hand on the ball more is a good sign.
  • Lloyd and Corr to miss out against the swans for Hopper and Greene
Scully already an automatic out. Greene to come in

Don’t know if I want to move Lloyd out at this stage, his pressure and versatility has been strong for two weeks now

Leon suggested he hopes Perryman will in a presser last week, I think that's a strong clue. Mature defenders in Kennedy and Bunts will be hard to hold out when they are ready you'd think. Might be a while given the time out they've had though.

Not expecting Kennedy or Buntine to be pushing for selection till after the bye but it will be very good for our defensive depth and or pressure for positions in the 22 having both available again.

Scully already an automatic out. Greene to come in

Don’t know if I want to move Lloyd out at this stage, his pressure and versatility has been strong for two weeks now

Was forgetting about that. Corr and Scully for Hopper and Greene. Can’t see Hopper playing 2’s again and we have too many tall defenders.

Not expecting Kennedy or Buntine to be pushing for selection till after the bye but it will be very good for our defensive depth and or pressure for positions in the 22 having both available again.
Assuming they play NEAFL in the next few weeks, it'll mean we have a settled side performing well if it takes that long I think.

I think that next week's team will depend on how Sydney's team shapes up, and what roles Leon looks to assign to the utility players such as Tommo to find team balance. Sydney have gone to Perth without their Sam Reid as a tall forward, but if he's back next week, they could have Franklin, Reid & Gary Rohan (the first & last being very mobile) lining up and therefore I would think Corr would be important. If Tommo gets moved to one wing position (perhaps alternating throughout the game with ToJ), then Davis/Franklin, Corr/Reid, Finlayson/Rohan and Haynes free would work (noting that they need to rotate assignments to stay fresh), with Whitfield, Shaw & Deledio or GWS Sam Reid lining up on the small/medium defenders.

Sam Reid has been Mr Utility for us - he's played where Leon has needed to plug a medium-sized player gap - in defence, wing, forward; and has tagged in the past. I agree that he's a role player & holding out someone better, but at the moment it's an important role for us with guys like Setterfield & Hopper out, and Bonar/Daniels/Shipley not ready. However, if Hopper is ready to come back, he may come in as an inside mid and push Taranto into a more utility role, which could see Sam drop back if the defence set up is as I speculate above. If Swans' Sam Reid doesn't come up, then I can see Corr go out for team balance and GWS Sam Reid stay in. Bonar is possibly a chance to come in up front as well, but less likely as I think this leaves us a bit unbalanced. Perryman possibly comes in for Sam Reid as a slightly better albeit less experienced utility who can play down back primarily. A few things yet to play out on the team selection front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back