Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

dude, have you seen North's midfield kids ? they're the same age. Go watch how they played today!
The midfield kids that copped a 60 point turnaround, including conceding 9 straight goals to a lesser side than Melbourne? Those midfield kids?

I like how mitch stuck with the team for continuity, but something clearly isn't clicking. Depending on performances tomorrow for box hill 3 or 4 changes need to considered:
HH - midfield mix is broken and he could help with clearances
Philips - desperately need support down back
Butler or smitchell - wasn't butler burning up the track pre-season? Seamus could add a harder edge if fit
Ramsden

Ward looks like he needs to build confidence at BH. Ditto Nash - skills and game sense have taken a backward step. Maginess is burning the ball too much, should only be included for a specific tagging role. Reeves looked ineffective around the ground. Newk and Lewis had shockers but just need to persist and I'm sure the form will come.

Patience. Melbourne exposed how immature the side is. They are a very experienced outfit.
Might take longer than expected to get to that level consistently.

I wouldn’t exactly call Weddle, Wiz, Mackenzie, C.Mac, Day, Nuke, Ginni “vanilla”. Lots of upside in that crop. They need time and experience.

The proper rebuild only really started when Mitchell started.

No real generational talents in that lot good players one day yes generational talents and ones that win you premierships I can’t see it.

People see what they want. I just watch the second and third quarter and saw a young team that stopped the bleeding and controlled long period of the game without reward. When we start converting effort into scores we're going to be more than competitive.
I just watched the first quarter where we had a total of 6 tackles and couldn't be bothered putting on any pressure.

I love Mitch and can see what he is trying to achieve, but this is his third season.
To be fair he has had to strip the list right back to ground zero.

The coaches and boys are in a new learning curve 50-100 games. A the opposition are aware of there plays from 2023.

Far from the finish product as coach’s, players and as a team.

Another off season will have us better placed for options and improvement.

Damaging half forward at casey in fact there were murmurings about him being traded. Lucky for melbourne they didnt and if u go back to the game day threads u will find the same impatience

When was he dropped to the VFL?

Year 1 - 17 games
Year 2 - 22 games
Year 3 - 24 games
Year 4 - 22 games
Year 5 - 17 games (missed round 3, played every other game until round 18, then missed the rest of the season)

To be fair he has had to strip the list right back to ground zero.

The coaches and boys are in a new learning curve 50-100 games. A the opposition are aware of there plays from 2023.

Far from the finish product as coach’s, players and as a team.

Another off season will have us better placed for options and improvement.
does he get another season if we finish bottom 4 again ?

does he get another season if we finish bottom 4 again ?

Yes, we have invested in Sam Mitchell and the list.

From memory The club / Andy Gowers has stated that this is a 5 year plan. We are in it for the long haul!

The list is not complete yet, let’s see what Sam can do with young talent on every line.

Next year will be more interesting with more players at the 100 game mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty tough day at the MCG - the sun was shining but nothing else was - we had more supporters, and were louder on the few occasions we had some highlights.
Melbourne supporters at the beach, rather than the snow?

I was with two other Hawks, and our joint opinions:

1. Worst Hawthorn performance since that game against Port (pre-Clarko?) when we didn’t score a goal until the 3rd quarter

2. Mitchell has no game plan - but the record number of possessions in the 50 defensive arc were good for our stats.

3. Melbourne aren’t that good: we just didn’t even test them

4. Mitchell interviews well on TV, something Clarko never did.

5. The coffee at the MCG is pretty decent.

Nothing else I can think of.
Pre Clarko? The only game against port adelaide in which we kicked our first goal in the 3rd quarter was in 2017. 4 premierships into Clarko's era.

Days like today are disappointing but not unexpected. Not making excuses, but the overall improvement will come with time.
Atm our midfield unit is completely out of sorts, meaning we're on the back foot from the opening bounce. Our coaches need to get on top of this asap otherwise it will continue to expose our weakened defensive unit.

In the meantime it's best to try to look at the small positives along the way.

beaten well by a much much better team, simple as that.

melb played well all day. We were shocking in the first, tried hard but outmuscled and outclassed in the 2nd and 3rd, then ordinary in the last.

When was he dropped to the VFL?

Year 1 - 17 games
Year 2 - 22 games
Year 3 - 24 games
Year 4 - 22 games
Year 5 - 17 games (missed round 3, played every other game until round 18, then missed the rest of the season)

Yeh was gonna say I didn't remember him being too much of a feature at Casey.

He did have his detractors early (so did Martin). Those bigger explosive types always take a bit longer.

LDU took his time but he looked unstoppable today in Q2. Rayner is taking a while. Whether he gets there or not is another question.

The lack of defensive intent when the opposition has a free kick or takes a mark drives me crazy

Dees were immediately in our face whereas we laid out the red carpet and then ran away relieving all pressure and giving them extra metres - is clearly something that has been coached as they're all doing it and needs to be consigned to the crap bin straight away

And can we please show some aggression and stop playing in a safe and reactive manner

Was a moment where the Wiz got fed up and had a crack at 3 Dees players with only Worpel coming to his defence albeit with minimal urgency - Dermie would have been in there in a nanosecond and would have delivered a piledriver and suplex without blinking

We're too bloody nice - find some mongrel lads

No real generational talents in that lot good players one day yes generational talents and ones that win you premierships I can’t see it.

I'm glad you were able to spot Hodge and Mitchell after two games or their first season (Wiz has played 2 games ffs). Surprised no clubs have picked you up as a list manager with this kind of ability.

If we kick straight, we're a young, middle of the table team with real improvement to come.

Do peeps not remember what happens when your team starts to score, instead of generating miss after miss?

We'd have won last week with our kicking boots on. Wiz would have been lauded as our next superstar small forward.

We iron out the kicking at goal, and it's on for us.

Can't believe the naysayers on here. Short memories and terrible takes all over the place.

This year I was really looking forward to Hawthorn having a forward line that can score. 5 goals on a dry day with 2 of the oppositions backs injured tells me we don’t.

It helps when you kick it through the middle.

A lot changes when you convert opportunities.

We ran into a buzzsaw this week, and because we couldn't reward the effort being made to get the ball forward, there was some drop off.

2 straight weeks of crappy accuracy is not to be underestimated as a real knee buckler for a young team.

Sucks the life out of any group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back