Autopsy Round 2 = St Kilda 94-79 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be easier to believe Steele has permanently lost his speed and accuracy if I didn’t believe Mick has permanently lost his mind.

Must have been some sort of physiological deterioration for those two over less than 6 months. A temporary(hopefully) loss of form is a lot more likely than some sort of massive deterioration in physical ability over such a short timeframe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn't take long for bitter old Mick to stick the knives in.

Having said that he's not wrong either, is he.

Pendles has thus far only shown flashes of the Pendles we know and love, while Steelo is trying but is making some really bad mistakes that have been directly hurting us on the scoreboard. Both of them are clearly down on form at the moment.

Could be a situation where when everything goes to s**t everyone looks s**t, or it could be something else as Mick is maybe alluding to. Only time will tell on that one, but we certainly need both of them to be playing better if we're going to turn what so far has been a total shitshow in this young 2024 season around.

My observation is not enough pressure in midfield for the op to hurry their kicks in centre bounces and on turnover transition to create intercepts, whether its fitness or lack of hunger, the doubt and lack of commitment becomes infectious and confidence drops. 70% of team need to pull their finger out, get that agression back in the contest

Plenty of negative, bitter old pricks on here to keep him company, lol.
Actually I think a number of posts querying how a GF winner has lost their first three games have been pretty fair with their observations. Losing=frustration.

There have been a high number of uncharacteristic mistakes by some players that you wouldn't expect, team selection, sub, positional changes during game.

All fair in putting forth ones opinion and observations. Except negative comments about Jamie. Blind, how could they?;)

I haven't noticed any bitter posts.

In so far as MM is concerned, will carry that chip on his shoulder forever.

Having said that he's not wrong either, is he.

Pendles has thus far only shown flashes of the Pendles we know and love, while Steelo is trying but is making some really bad mistakes that have been directly hurting us on the scoreboard. Both of them are clearly down on form at the moment.

Could be a situation where when everything goes to s**t everyone looks s**t, or it could be something else as Mick is maybe alluding to. Only time will tell on that one, but we certainly need both of them to be playing better if we're going to turn what so far has been a total shitshow in this young 2024 season around.
I think it's pretty poor to single out Pendles & Sidebottom tbh & suggest they are past it.

What's Jordy's excuse? Crisps? Moores? It's not age.

We haven't lost because Pendles & Sidebottom are over 30. They were 6 months ago & we won a premiership.

Majority of the team are down on form & not clicking.

So yeah, I do think it's sticking the knives into two players who deserve more respect and not to be written off when virtually the whole team is playing below their usual standard.

I think it's pretty poor to single out Pendles & Sidebottom tbh & suggest they are past it.

We haven't lost because Pendles & Sidebottom are over 30. They were 6 months ago & we won a premiership.

So yeah, I do think it's sticking the knives into two players who deserve more respect and not to be written off when virtually the whole team is playing below their usual standard.
It's all psychological - can be fixed....

jon mills GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on.

They deserve way more respect then what they are currently getting from multiple media personalities.

He's only talking about what we're all seeing. It's not really just sticking the knives into two players for its own sake or out of some sort of anti-Collingwood agenda when the assessment on them as individual contributors within the larger team is accurate. He has nothing against either player, we all know that they were two of his favourites in his time as coach (and since).

I too was expecting both of them to be better than they have been and I too share these concerns over both of them, some of it is for the same reasons that Mick has alluded to and some a little different, but the concern is still there. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this even on these boards and I'm not just talking about the "regulars" who get potted for their "negative" opinions either.

For better or for worse Pendles and Sidey are seen as two of the leaders of our club and are held to a higher standard than most. There's really nothing to be offended at by someone talking about them being down on form, which we all know they have been so far. There is an extra layer of commentary on top of that which comes with them being at the tail end of their careers and that's not going away no matter how much we might want to get angry at the source and this will be a continuing theme for as long as they remain out of form.

In the end all we can do is shrug it off, I'm sure both of them are and they feel no pressing need for anyone else to get angry at certain people in the media or elsewhere on their behalf.

EDIT - TL;DR If this is getting up your nose already then I'd disconnect from any and all news and discussion about our club, because this topic isn't going away unless and until Pendles and Sidey (and our club as a whole) turns this really poor start to the season around.

Last edited:
It would be easier to believe Steele has permanently lost his speed and accuracy if I didn’t believe Mick has permanently lost his mind.

Must have been some sort of physiological deterioration for those two over less than 6 months. A temporary(hopefully) loss of form is a lot more likely than some sort of massive deterioration in physical ability over such a short timeframe.

Ever been at a peak level in a physical activity? I have (that it was in finger painting is irrelevant). Losing that peak level difference definitely can happen in six months, even less. What if you had won the ultimate and at the end of your career. You are at the pinnicle. Are you going to be hungry enough to focus on going harder, longer, further than you ever have before.

Don't get me wrong, I love our veterans and all the players. After three losses, strong defeats in that we looked worked out physically and mentally, the evidence is there. They have gone off the boil, they haven't worked hard enough mentally or physically over the last six months. How long our veterans last will greatly depend on how they respond over the next 8 games. It only takes a few % drop, which is explains where we are at for mine.

I wouldn't call it a hangover. This team had to be at its very best over the last two years to win games. Look at the margins. Hubris of success. The player I am most frustrated with is JDG, I think he has missed his chance to become on of the best in the current league and leave a fulfilled legacy.

Ever been at a peak level in a physical activity? I have (that it was in finger painting is irrelevant). Losing that peak level difference definitely can happen in six months, even less. What if you had won the ultimate and at the end of your career. You are at the pinnicle. Are you going to be hungry enough to focus on going harder, longer, further than you ever have before.

Don't get me wrong, I love our veterans and all the players. After three losses, strong defeats in that we looked worked out physically and mentally, the evidence is there. They have gone off the boil, they haven't worked hard enough mentally or physically over the last six months. How long our veterans last will greatly depend on how they respond over the next 8 games. It only takes a few % drop, which is explains where we are at for mine.

I wouldn't call it a hangover. This team had to be at its very best over the last two years to win games. Look at the margins. Hubris of success. The player I am most frustrated with is JDG, I think he has missed his chance to become on of the best in the current league and leave a fulfilled legacy.

What particular physical attribute in Steele/Pendles could possibly deteriorate so markedly in the space of a few months?

Kelly has acknowledged there has been friction between Leppa and Bolts regarding their new responsibilities. The club after Carro's article this week acknowledged they could have provided a better "working environment" for our ops manager (Pettyfor?) Her first name escapes me after she quit to take a lesser role at Melbourne FC in its media dept. It is rumoured several players remain upset about the trading of Ginni & several have reportedly voiced the opposite

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Where did Kelly make these statements?

Didn't take long for bitter old Mick to stick the knives in.
He's a nasty piece of work. After we lost the 2003 GF he said, "I thought Jason Cloke played better in last year's GF." He also had a dig at Swanand blamed him for our loss to Geelong in 2011. He said something along the lines of "not much I can do when the Brownlow medalist hardly touches the ball in the last quarter."

Surely you need more than a three game sample before announcing their imminent demise? Is Degoey or Crisp on the precipice? Their skills and ball handling have been completely off this year too.

He's a nasty piece of work. After we lost the 2003 GF he said, "I thought Jason Cloke played better in last year's GF." He also had a dig at Swanand blamed him for our loss to Geelong in 2011. He said something along the lines of "not much I can do when the Brownlow medalist hardly touches the ball in the last quarter."
What he could have done was put Taz on Hawkins after Pods busted his shoulder. That would have been handy.

I think Steelo might have squeezed out every last ounce of physical ability with that goal in the GF.

We look tired and slow because we are turning the ball over so much and then having to chase more than usual. We win the ball and then work as hard as we can forward only to see the ball turned over, we then have to turn and sprint the other way. This has to take a toll.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back