Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Essendon, SCG, Saturday 23/03/24 @ 7:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my vantage point on row A of the 4th deck I saw him not take some he should have and smartly not take some that where not an option. Saw the same from maybe 12 others.

I felt like it was mostly a transition game and in rd1, 30 degrees when players are flagging you can usually make them hurt on transition if you keep it moving (like they repeatedy did to us except for the goal kicking) it sticks out sometimes when someone hatches it when there seemed to be quite a few shorts or even long switches available. He's always been known for it, Adelaide fans warned us too, it's hardly an isolated trait for him. But clearly scott values something because he was first back in without a pre season game while the others are in the VFL. Probably just in to cover for martos wanderings at hb

Do we play an undersized Lav to replace Reid or do we just go with Cox as a CHB as I felt the latter grew into the role replacing Reid yesterday.

Caddy seemed to play well in the reserves by all reports so a straight swap for Jones might be the way to go.

My changes:

Out: Reid (injured), Menzie, Jones
In: Caddy, Parish, Hobbs

B: Redman, McKay, Heppell
HB: McGrath, Cox, Kelly
C: Durham, Caldwell, Martin
HF: Perkins, Wright, Gresham
F: Stringer, Langford, Guelfi
R: Goldstein, Merrett, Parish
Int: Setterfield, Caddy, Durrsma, Tsatas
Sub: Hobbs
Emerg: Menzie, Jones, Draper

In: Draper, Parish, Hobbs, Laverde

Out: H.Jones, Kelly, Menzie, Z.Reid

Mckay, Laverde, Cox, Redman, Mcgrath, Martin, Heppell

Draper, 2MP, Langford, Stringer, Gresham, Caldwell, Guelfi

Duursma, Durham, Setterfield

Goldy, Parish, Zerrett, Perkins, Hobbs

Sub: Hind

Perkins to Heeney

Durham to Gulden

Both tags

Lets not get carried away, we kicked accurately

I wonder if Harry will become a defender as well.
I think Cox can play back on a flank but I am with you on him as a competitor and physicality. He is not built for it and he looks like he does not like the physical contact.
Cox played pretty well on mcdonald last year. I reckon he gets that job for this week, allow mckay to play on amartey/ be the roving deepest defender

Not sure what the final stat was, but half way through the third quarter v. Hawks, most of their scoring shots had come from turnovers. Had they been more accurate we would have lost that game, so our cleanliness with the ball will be paramount against the Swans, whose pressure will be higher than Hawthorn's.

Not sure what the final stat was, but half way through the third quarter v. Hawks, most of their scoring shots had come from turnovers. Had they been more accurate we would have lost that game, so our cleanliness with the ball will be paramount against the Swans, whose pressure will be higher than Hawthorn's.

Where were the Hawks shot at goals taken from though? I know a few were from the boundary, and a few were panicked snaps.

Whilst we did have a number of costly turnovers (skill errors in round 1 I guess), but it did seem that our defence still pushed the play wide.

Sydney played so slick in that match against the Pies.
If any team is priming for a top 4 spot, it's Sydney.

If Reid isn't playing against Sydney, we need a player to fill that roll.
I'm thinking Lav, but a bit left of field could Weidman be ready to fill that role?

I think Sydney win this by 25 points.

Sydney played so slick in that match against the Pies.
If any team is priming for a top 4 spot, it's Sydney.

If Reid isn't playing against Sydney, we need a player to fill that roll.
I'm thinking Lav, but a bit left of field could Weidman be ready to fill that role?

I think Sydney win this by 25 points.
On the flip side, Pies have been very average.

Where were the Hawks shot at goals taken from though? I know a few were from the boundary, and a few were panicked snaps.

Whilst we did have a number of costly turnovers (skill errors in round 1 I guess), but it did seem that our defence still pushed the play wide.
That would be a helpful map to see. I was just alarmed by the number of turnovers relative to scoring shots, but now that you mention it, I don't recall them going direct too often. Still, shots at goal are shots at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respectfully this is not correct in my opinion.
Heppell has lost all speed, goes to ground and misses tackles.
The game has passed him by.
He had a couple of good efforts but both him and Cox look as vulnerable as a three legged antelope in front of a hungry lion.
Don’t bring my boy Cox into this. He’s a student of drunken warrior style (as per Jackie Chan movies of same name)… it’s a feature not a bug.

This is what I would do not what will happen.

In Draper, Hobbs, Hind
Out Reid, Heppell, Cox

I agree with ant555 jones works incredibly hard but is football dumb and has poor hands. I wonder if he could play as a defender?

McKay on deep forward
Jones on amartey or McLean
Kelly gets third tall

I think Cox’s only hope to make it is as a wingman but he simply lacks competitiveness and physicality for mine.
I really hope I am wrong.
Are you trolling the selection committee?
This is what I would do not what will happen.

In Draper, Hobbs, Hind
Out Reid, Heppell, Cox

I agree with ant555 jones works incredibly hard but is football dumb and has poor hands. I wonder if he could play as a defender?

McKay on deep forward
Jones on amartey or McLean
Kelly gets third tall

I think Cox’s only hope to make it is as a wingman but he simply lacks competitiveness and physicality for mine.
I really hope I am wrong.
This is some weird ass crafty double dare sh1t for the selection committee right there:
Out : 3 backs (2 @ 200cm+)
In : 2 smalls + a ruck forward
When going up against a taller forward line than Hawthorn.

But I see where you’re going… Essendon selectors’ kryptonite has always been taking a (in this case under performing) forward and putting him back.

Not even that selector thirst trap could justify putting Jones (who is seriously off AFL standard right now) in place of my boy Cox who showed plenty on Saturday. Ok, showed some on Saturday.

Are you trolling the selection committee?

This is some weird ass crafty double dare sh1t for the selection committee right there:
Out : 3 backs (2 @ 200cm+)
In : 2 smalls + a ruck forward
When going up against a taller forward line than Hawthorn.

But I see where you’re going… Essendon selectors’ kryptonite has always been taking a (in this case under performing) forward and putting him back.

Not even that selector thirst trap could justify putting Jones (who is seriously off AFL standard right now) in place of my boy Cox who showed plenty on Saturday. Ok, showed some on Saturday.
All Cox's showed is he's s**t scared

Is there any reason not to give Lewy Hayes a go? If we want to keep that same structure, he really should be the one coming in (if Reid’s out)

same as many here are saying

Out: Reid, Redman, Jones,
In: Laverde, Hobbs, Draper,

Have to replace like for like. Laverde is a decent 7th defender. Kelly can move back to cover Redman’s injury or we try Hobbs there. Draper for Jones the front half change.

Lack up kicking out of back half an issue but don’t think they’d want to risk hind there.

Tsatas played well enough to start and Guelfi was also pretty good so Menzie as Sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back