VFL Round 20 - Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at Victoria Park (Pies WON 72-64, replay & stats page 6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Witts eligible anyway? Thought he may have played too much seniors

He was/is eligible, played 11 of a maximum 12 AFL games.

Last edited:

Sam on the Live Chat mentioned that Michael Still should be available again next week, so that might help things a bit.

It certainly would! Until Karnezis was swung forward, we didn't look like taking a mark inside 50. Still's very presence (hopefully joined by Close and Gault) gives us much better structure straight away...

Would That Smart to play someone who missed so much in a Final?

Ideally we wouldn't do it, but we haven't really got much choice if we want to win (which I assume we do).

Besides, Still plays deep anyway, so it's not like he relies on his running game to dominate...

Unfortunately missed the game today, sounds like a great win though. Any stats from the game?

It certainly would! Until Karnezis was swung forward, we didn't look like taking a mark inside 50. Still's very presence (hopefully joined by Close and Gault) gives us much better structure straight away...
Surely we wouldn't play all of Witts (if fit), Cox, Still, Close and Gault? If Close was available for today's game and simply left out that is rather surprising, given the apparent lack of firepower up forward.

Surely we wouldn't play all of Witts (if fit), Cox, Still, Close and Gault? If Close was available for today's game and simply left out that is rather surprising, given the apparent lack of firepower up forward.

Doubt Close and Gault would play next week

No we wouldn't. I was operating on the assumption that Witts has done an ankle and that Cox would 1st ruck.

Close was out due to a groin/leg complaint, I'm told...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frost - really solid down back. Nice spoils and some important intercept marks especially in the third when Port where coming strong. Still lets his opponent lead him to the ball at times and fumbles were also somewhat present, but we wouldn't have won without him. Also sense that some of his fumbles are deliberate to just knock the ball on or over the line. Harder to get penalised if you don't take possession
Really good effort by Jack Frost to keep his chin up and play so well after being dropped. After playing every senior game last year and the first 20 this year then being left out, and seeing a "new look" backline perform very well without him, he could easily have felt sorry for himself but didn't play like that.

Really good effort by Jack Frost to keep his chin up and play so well after being dropped. After playing every senior game last year and the first 20 this year then being left out, and seeing a "new look" backline perform very well without him, he could easily have felt sorry for himself but didn't play like that.
I always look to see how players respond to being dropped, as you said it can go two ways. I've been a bit critical of Frost recently, so I switched to the Sherrin Stand after half time for a better look. It was good to see him do well and his effort was there all day.

Thanks GL. I know they throw some strange bests up each week, however can anyone tell me what Monky did to get bog....and Kennedy to get 2nd.
And now for the actual best.
1. Moloney (most possies 8 tackles 2 goals leads by example hard contested player)
2. Ox (12 marks, a lot of them intercept marks didnt waste many kicks)
3. Goodyear (equal second most possies 5 tackles works back defensively 5 rebound 50s-finally they're playing him the right position)
4. Frost (job on Lisle)
5. Caff ( a heap of underrated selfless work 24 possies great inside)
apologies to Witts and Dwyer.

Thanks GL. I know they throw some strange bests up each week, however can anyone tell me what Monky did to get bog....and Kennedy to get 2nd.
I was going to ask the same question about young Monkhorst after I noticed that! I see he's named 6th best on the club website, I'd have thought that what appears there was meant to be "official".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back