Review Round 20 v West Coast Eagles @ Metricon, Sunday 31/7, 1:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Need to finish the season off strong, with finals all but gone. This is about self-respect and building a winning culture with the future in mind.

Charlie Ballard might be out, Dew says they suspect a MCL. Graham will be asked to shoulder a bigger load, and all eyes on today's VFL match to see who is putting their hands up.

Go Suns.

Last edited:
West coast only play with Josh Kennedy and darling as talls. Graham and collins to match them.

Waterman a third leading forward. Farrar to play on him.

Out: Ballard
In: Bowes

Hoping for one of our forwards to kick a bag.

Rankine got 4 round 1.

Chol has given up more than a few golden
Chances in the last 2-3 weeks.

Barrass will go to Casboult with Chol matched up on Harry Edwards. Very inexperienced. Reckon he should be eying a bag.

12 goals away from 50 and 4 games left.

Cmon Cholly.

If true about Ballard, you’d think they put him in cotton wool for the rest of the year in which case our defence is hanging on by a thread.

Rory probably comes in with him and Graham deeper and Collins playing more Ballards intercepting role? West Coast aren’t super tall at the moment but Dew loves the three talls.

For changes (pending VFL)
Macpherson - Rosas
Flanders - Bowes
Ballard - Rory (I’d bring Markov and see if they can keep up with us)

Rory Thompson is the man for this match if Ballard is injured indefinitely. He can stay deep with Josh Kennedy and do what he does best which frees up Collins and Farrar to play a little further up the ground.

I'd be interested to know if Josh Kennedy will make the trip. He's missed some recent interstate travel because his body is really starting to struggle to get up week after week. The Perth -> GC trip is a long one, so they may want to keep him home so that he can play his last few rounds in WA and give him a send-off. Fingers crossed that happens for us, anyway! I'll have nightmares about him routinely kicking 10 against us. Ideally NicNat takes an extra week off and doesn't play either!

OUT: MacPherson, Flanders.
IN: Mally, Bowes.

I'm counting on Mally to go really well in the VFL today and he'll be straight back into that pressure forward role.

IMO Bowes shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. Play him in the Flanders role.

If Ballard doesn't get up, I'd bring in Thompson. Dew seemed to indicate though that there is a chance Ballard plays. Depends on scans, I guess. Wouldn't surprise to see them bring Davies straight back in either given the Coaching stuff loves him.

Can't possibly pick Thompson IMO.

Both West Coast and then Hawthorn the week after have lineups amenable to Graham, Collins and Farrar as the third tall.

I would play Mac Andrew ahead of Thompson if we wanted another tall.

Can't possibly pick Thompson IMO.

Both West Coast and then Hawthorn the week after have lineups amenable to Graham, Collins and Farrar as the third tall.

I would play Mac Andrew ahead of Thompson if we wanted another tall.
I doubt Rory's even getting rookied next year which is sad but you can't keep holding places in the team for performances 5 years ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Rory was good in the VFL today. Wouldn't surprise to see him come in.
May as well play him then while we're still a slight chance to make the finals. Haven't heard one other poster say Mac Andrew is ready so I wouldn't take the risk right now.

Thompson vs Mac.

Mac already better in intercepting, marking, speed, kick. Also reading game pretty well now. Still poor in physical contest.
Thompson better in one on one contest.

Mac it is as a third tall to give him a taste.
I was considering this too. Maybe the last few games of the season, when our run at finals is “officially” over (it’s hanging on by an imaginary fingernail right now…)

Thompson comes in if we want, and Collins to go back to being a more of an interceptor like when we first picked him up.

Mac could come in and be similar to Ballard when he started, maybe as a third tall, but he lacks any experience and is still very light on.

Farrar is also an option if the opposition does not run three proper tall targets.

I was considering this too. Maybe the last few games of the season, when our run at finals is “officially” over (it’s hanging on by an imaginary fingernail right now…)

Thompson comes in if we want, and Collins to go back to being a more of an interceptor like when we first picked him up.

Mac could come in and be similar to Ballard when he started, maybe as a third tall, but he lacks any experience and is still very light on.

Farrar is also an option if the opposition does not run three proper tall targets.
I think this is the right way to approach it. We still have another three matches to go after this one so there's ample opportunity to hand Mac a debut but for the time being let's just give ourselves every chance of sneaking into the finals while it's still a possibility, aka play Rory Thompson if Ballard is out.

I reckon picking Mac at AFL level would be close to suicide by proxy

Last edited:
Eagles playing well recently but we should roll them, Got to see Hollands this week, would love to see Big Mac. Yeah he may be skinny but ive seen men like Tsitas do f all anyways, no harm watching Mac debut, Got good skills on him.

Metricon v Eagles in 11 seasons;
2014R23Gold Coast6.39.611.815.9(99)lost toWest Coast6.29.820.1023.13(151)
2015R18Gold Coast2.25.58.912.11(83)drewWest Coast2.65.117.1211.17(83)
2017R11Gold Coast2.55.109.1011.14(80)dftdWest Coast3.35.57.811.11(77)
2020R2Gold Coast2.06.211.414.6(90)dftdWest Coast1.45.56.86.10(46)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back