Review Round 20 v West Coast Eagles @ Metricon, Sunday 31/7, 1:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of people upset about a win :think:

Could’ve been worse. We could’ve had a Brisbane-like effort today.
This is why I posted the "Inch or a mile" picture as soon as the game ended

By hook or by crook every supporter should be taking the four points with a smile

Positives
  • Win
  • Score 100 points
  • Suns tall forward dominates in the air taking 3 contested marks, 4 marks i50 and kicking 5 goals, how many times has this happened the last 5 years?
  • 4 small forwards kicked 7 goals, 4 goal assists and 8 tackles inside 50.
  • Anderson going form strength to strength and looking increasingly damaging going forward.
  • Sharpy's best game this year with 2 goals. Our wingers continuing to get on the scoreboard. Hollands had a shot at goal as well.
  • Another game into inexperienced youngsters Andrew, Hollands, Rowell, Rosas, Sharp.

Negatives
  • No answer to the lack of run out of defence - Atkins is not the answer, Markov was disappointing, Lemmens another shocking kicking error directly leading to a shot on goal.
  • Collins horribly out of form. Both he and Graham are slow, one paced. Someone like Darling was always going to be a difficult match up - but boy did they struggle.
  • Carrying 3-4 experienced guys that are not AFL quality at the moment.
  • Seems like at least 4-5 guys are in the 22 but not really playing their optimal role due to personnel availability.

I know we didn't play our best footy today but for a club that has won just 26% of AFL games in its history, we do seem to be a picky fanbase when we secure the four points! We all know our boys can play a lot better than they did in that second half but I was just happy to get the win and keep the ball rolling. I suppose this is what comes with the maturation process of a fanbase; supporters get so used to losing that even a close win feels like a loss and they need to share their displeasure with the way we played. One day we'll learn to appreciate the close wins, regardless of whether we win them in an ugly fashion.
We need to remember we were still missing 7-8 of our best 22. Any other year at Round 20 and that would've been a 100+ point loss.

Sarge was wet-nursing a bunch of babies down there. Farrar - 22 games, Andrew (1), Graham (34), Markov (51). Lemmens (131) and Atkins (117) but those two still make a lot of basic errors for 100 game AFL players.

The boys did look a bit tired to me. Maybe the Q-Clash effort took it out of them. It's not unusual for teams coming off the Western Derby and Showdown to be very flat.
West Coast are better than their ladder position suggests, it's just that COVID F**ked them early. There's a lot of premiership experience and star-power in that side.

Officially our second best ever season and still 3 games to go.

This is why I posted the "Inch or a mile" picture as soon as the game ended

By hook or by crook every supporter should be taking the four points with a smile
John Candy Reaction GIF by Laff

Rory has runs on the board and experience
Mac Andrew is 2 years away

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I totally get that Mac Andrew is a couple of years away from becoming a meaningful contributor at AFL level.
And at this stage Rory is likely a better player.

With Collins, Graham and Thompson being very defensive talls.
Ballard has a bit more skill but not like he creates a lot of rebound.

Andrew will bring an essential skillset to the mix.

None of those other 4 hit that kick into the middle he made in the 3rd quarter.

We won whilst giving Andrew a taste of it. I'm happy with the outcome and agree with the process.

We need to remember we were still missing 7-8 of our best 22. Any other year at Round 20 and that would've been a 100+ point loss.

Sarge was wet-nursing a bunch of babies down there. Farrar - 22 games, Andrew (1), Graham (34), Markov (51). Lemmens (131) and Atkins (117) but those two still make a lot of basic errors for 100 game AFL players.

The boys did look a bit tired to me. Maybe the Q-Clash effort took it out of them. It's not unusual for teams coming off the Western Derby and Showdown to be very flat.
West Coast are better than their ladder position suggests, it's just that COVID F**ked them early. There's a lot of premiership experience and star-power in that side.

Officially our second best ever season and still 3 games to go.
All great points. I'll just add that this was our fourth win since the halfway point of the season and we've never done that since we entered the AFL. The media have made a big deal about our 'second half of the season fadeouts' in the past but four wins in nine matches can hardly be considered a fadeout and hopefully that means the end of that headline.

One win short of our best ever season with three games to go, two of which are against opponents ranked below us. Whatever happens from here, we've definitely taken a step forward from where we were at the end of last year.

I think Rowel is flying under the radar now that Anderson is getting more plaudits. The guy is an absolute best and I don’t think I have seen him lose a 1on1 ground ball thus year. Would be in the top handful of in and under players in the league
He’s not Joel Selwood levels (yet), but something I noticed about Rowelly even in juniors, is that he is one of those rare players who through sheer will can push his team over the line. And how lucky are we that we have an even better version in Touk!!

I think Rowel is flying under the radar now that Anderson is getting more plaudits. The guy is an absolute best and I don’t think I have seen him lose a 1on1 ground ball thus year. Would be in the top handful of in and under players in the league
Still think he's carrying some niggles too, think he even said in a recent article that he has been. Once he gets that explosiveness back he will be a force.

A few things.

A few of the Eagles goals came from a player running forward of the contest hoping it came their way, which it sometimes did. Then they took advantage (which is a partly a problem for our defenders).
Basically, we were often a man up at the contest because they were often cheating forward. This is one of the reasons we had some good flow out of our side of the centre bounce, and we did much better in clearances and inside 50's overall. Just needed to score more goals with the advantages they were giving us.

We are really missing our back half kickers, including Ellis this week. Having at least two of Weller, Powell, Budders and Ellis playing would have helped. God love him but in what world do you want Seany Lemmens taking a kick in, and Atkins is a colossal mistake that we all saw coming except the decisions makers at the club. At his best he would be fine (played pretty well in 2017 when the Crows made the GF), but he was very poor in his last year at the Crows, then we give him a good contract and he is poor for us. Funny that.

The idea of playing Andrew is good. He is taller and faster and more athletic, and has not been embarrassed in the VFL. Give him a crack. But it does depend on Collins and Graham playing well, which they did not in this game. Farrer not much chop either, but I can still see Graham having an air swing punch at a high ball at the top of the square that went out the back for an easy goal at a crucial time. He does that a bit too often for mine. Aggression in the air is good, but judgement still lacking. Has to either kill the ball or defend someone out the back.

Hollands is the type of junior mid we need to keep recruiting. Can be effective while not playing on the ball. So far he has shown that he is not a fumbler, has good hands in tight, hits open targets by foot, and makes pretty good decisions. See how the next 3 games go, but if he can be effective getting 10-18 touches without running through the middle that is a big positive.

Sharpy a watch. Very much an outside player at the moment, so has to do that really well to be an overall positive player.

But Thompson's "washed" and "injury prone" and "ginger"

******* over this narrative, Play the bloody bloke

Exactly! Wasn't washed when he was playing and the team and backline were flying.

Play him now and find out if he is washed or still good enough for next year. I want to see it with my own eyes.

My personal game notes:

• Atkins is cursed - can't hit a target to save his life
  • Luko needs a position created for him as a hybrid wing/ high half forward. He can set up goals but can't kick goals
  • Graham - what's the point of flying for spoils and getting no where near it
  • Sharp - looks awesome with the ball in hand, not a good 1v1 player, surely that can be coached up
  • Hollands - he has something Flanders doesn't. Class. Can impact with minimal touches
  • Rosas - he has the tools to be a legitimate best 22 player in that role on a finals team - speed, defensive pressure, goal kicker
  • Chol - gun
  • Anderson - when he did that side step I lost my mind
  • Miller - most important player in Suns history - Elite player, leader, loves the club
  • Mac - long way off the pace now but could become Tim English in 3 years
  • Witts - with Miller our most important player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My personal game notes:

• Luko needs a position created for him as a hybrid wing/ high half forward. He can set up goals but can't kick goals
  • Sharp - looks awesome with the ball in hand, not a good 1v1 player, surely that can be coached up
  • Hollands - he has something Flanders doesn't. Class. Can impact with minimal touches
  • Rosas - he has the tools to be a legitimate best 22 player in that role on a finals team - speed, defensive pressure, goal kicker
  • Chol - gun
  • Miller - most important player in Suns history - Elite player, leader, loves the club
I’m warming more and more to Mally.

Certainly looks capable of all things required for a good small forward.

My personal game notes:

• Chol - gun
Nice OB, couldn’t agree more but will provide more. Rankine is incredible! He is the most skilled player in Suns history not named Ablett. In the same category as Harley but with even more confidence.
Is anyone in the national media talking about Levi kicking straight. He used to shank 3 a game at Carlton. He has only shanked 3 all year I reckon and when he misses, it’s usually pretty close. Who ever taught him to kick is going to get headhunted I reckon for a lot of money. Benny’s goal kicking has improved heaps as well and Chol is turning into a star.
I get the defence of Mac’s selection but Rory is custom made for Jack Darling. He is as quick and as strong. Serious selection blunder.
We need to know if Rory can go round again next year because our first finals team needs him deperately.
Rory’s closing speed at 6’7 sets him apart from most CHB’s in the comp.
It took a lot of pressure off Caleb when he played with both Rory and Sam. Caleb clearly needs to play but he is going to be a slow burn, please give him the third tall and learn up close from Red master!
Makes sense doesn’t it. Ffs!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back