Autopsy Round 9 vs West Coast @ OPTUS - 12/05/23 - 8:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Davies was pretty good as well tonight. 19 touches 7 clearances and 6 tackles. Looks good at finding space in close
Glad Alex is starting to show he belongs. He and Bear after another 50 games are going to be very, very good and give us that depth of class through the midfield we've always lacked.. Geez Humphrey reminds me of Tim Watson for those that can remember that far back. Just a powerful ruck rover at such a young age (Tim famously debuting in the then VFL for Essendon at 15 years of age)

Cheaters first goal was hilarious
He looked like he was moving in slow motion:D
You could see he couldn't believe he had the ball 5 metres out from goal and his brain was working overtime
I reckon I saw him think about every option other than kicking it before he finally decided to!

Geez Humphrey reminds me of Tim Watson for those that can remember that far back. Just a powerful ruck rover at such a young age (Tim famously debuting in the then VFL for Essendon at 15 years of age)
It's the mullet
37012b5769f0cae47c81c20d51a4799e

0d6c26ba1d69d9d587125db46ebaa32e

Last edited:
Fantastic win in the end, boys are really having a crack

Positives
Big win
Kings movement up and down the ground
Humphrey, a star in the making
Rowell and Anderson just WOW
Ballard, sign him up for 10 years
The ball movement and hitting of targets is chalk and cheese to what it has been in the past
Witts is in fantastic form

Negatives
The umpires were just robbing us, Dew needs to blow a gasket in the media or during the game to bring it to light so it gets talked about and rectified, it was outrageous

Possibly the best game I have seen Rowell play. Just seemed to find so much space from the stoppage to drive us forward. Was picking out targets inside 50. He even took a bounce!

It’s been great to see our midfield really step up in Touks absence.
  • Davies really starting to look like he belongs as the 3rd string to the Rowell/Anderson centre combo. 19 touches and 7 clearances and you can see he is taking the right option a lot more instead of looking to run through everyone every time.
  • Humphrey 20 touches and a goal. Looking more and more comfortable at this level.
  • Spitta 20 touches and 2 goals.
Even Noz had 27 touches and 8 clearances, which shocked me as he didn’t seem as in the thick of things by his standards.

Interesting Fiorini didn’t have a single CBA for the match. The fight for midfield minutes is still tight even without Touk.

Was hoping for a big big margin after the second quarter, however after we kicked away in the fourth I found it just as good. Eagles came out firing and albeit nearly a wafl team, we defended well and weathered the storm. Suns of the past would've dropped their heads, made some skill errors and found themselves up by 16 at 3 quarter time.

Great job boys, Ballard really is having a season outside of that essendon game. The bear should hopefully get a rising star nom. Would've loved to see Mac try and mark a few more but maybe he's just doing what he's told. Lacking confidence at the higher level and it shows at times but I guess that's to be expected, probably still his best game in the afl (?). Would love him to see him come into his own

I like OEA and has a future but not developed enough for full game time perfect guy for sub with his running and speed.
I thought that Ace was consistent with his pressure, speed, desperation throughout the game (similar to Berry) and did a lot of good things. 84%ToG shocked me - never before. Sure, he has still development to go but he was good, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good win. Never easy to win on the road in Perth after tough game against Demons and 2 six-day breaks.

I could not care less about Eagles being decimated. Eagles did bring elite pressure after HT and challenged us. It took us a bit longer to respond but otherwise nothing to really complain about.

A lot of positives.

Funny for me is that 2 questionable additions a lot of people were upset about - Day and Tsitas performed their roles well. Just to watch Tsitas celebrating was worth it.

Watching Rowell and Anderson makes you excited about future as they are still so young.

Davies and 🐻 look like great additions to our midfield with a future in mind. Both are bulls, Davies was very clean inside.

King running like crazy from the middle was a great sight.

Ballard after some shockers early in the season is unbelievable.

Credit to Swallow too. In the absence of Miller he does a good job.

Rosas could be as good as Rankine. Will he be?

Witts toyed with Eagles young ruck duo.

What's wrong with umpiring? This was second game in a row where we were taken to cleaners. Shocking one-sided decisions. Surely, we will talk to umpires dept.

Last edited:
6 day break.Travelling to Perth.Big second quarter.
Yes the 3rd quarter was disappointing but in the context of the the game Perth was always going to come out after half time and have a go
We held them then pushed back.It's pretty much classic counter-offensive tactics.Sometimes the best you can do is hold before attacking again
A win on the road with some of the younger guys getting good minutes.
I feel good about footy with a whole weekend ahead of me

Ace’s speed and tenacity when we didn’t have the ball really impressed me. I know he’s quick, but I’ve never seen him chase and tackle and be all over the opposition like he was. If he can keep doing that while working on his decision making then we have a player!

Ace’s speed and tenacity when we didn’t have the ball really impressed me. I know he’s quick, but I’ve never seen him chase and tackle and be all over the opposition like he was. If he can keep doing that while working on his decision making then we have a player!
I think Ace makes good decisions mostly (69% DE yesterday, 9 kicks form 13 disposals). He had some nice touches in tight beside pressure, tackles. I would like him to score. He did miss one reasonable opportunity yesterday.

I think Ace makes good decisions mostly (69% DE yesterday, 9 kicks form 13 disposals). He had some nice touches in tight beside pressure, tackles. I would like him to score. He did miss one reasonable opportunity yesterday.

It’s hard with the camera angles and at times they must’ve had the apprentice operating the camera as it was missing play but I felt at times he and rosas got in each others way but those things come with experience and game time

It's important to remember that Ace is still just 21 years old and is essentially a latecomer to the game. I know he started playing Aussie rules at 12 in PNG but he has really only been exposed to high level footy since he moved to Australia at the age of 17. I remember watching him playing in the QAFL for Broady back in 2018 and even back then you could see he had something special that others on the field didn't. He's still a bit raw and you expect that when you consider his journey to the top level but the potential is clearly there and I don't think he's anywhere near his ceiling as a footballer. It's also important to point out that he didn't speak English when he arrived in Australia (English is his third language) so that's an added challenge he had to overcome that the Irish guys and other internationals like Mason Cox/Mike Pyke didn't have to deal with. The fact that he's made it this far is truly remarkable.

Keep developing and putting time into the young lad and I think we'll see a very good footballer who belongs in the AFL every week in a few years from now.

It's important to remember that Ace is still just 21 years old and is essentially a latecomer to the game. I know he started playing Aussie rules at 12 in PNG but he has really only been exposed to high level footy since he moved to Australia at the age of 17. I remember watching him playing in the QAFL for Broady back in 2018 and even back then you could see he had something special that others on the field didn't. He's still a bit raw and you expect that when you consider his journey to the top level but the potential is clearly there and I don't think he's anywhere near his ceiling as a footballer. It's also important to point out that he didn't speak English when he arrived in Australia (English is his third language) so that's an added challenge he had to overcome that the Irish guys and other internationals like Mason Cox/Mike Pyke didn't have to deal with. The fact that he's made it this far is truly remarkable.

Keep developing and putting time into the young lad and I think we'll see a very good footballer who belongs in the AFL every week in a few years from now.
His run down tackle last night would almost be the highlight for me, being at the ground and watching that unfold and hearing the disappointment in the WC crowd was magical. He's easily one of my favs to watch

Suns were s**t, but I'm honestly depressed with the state of AFL umpiring. Can anyone explain why umpiring is so abysmal every week? I am not joking, it's time for robot umps -- anything but these *ers, please.

Brad, the game is not fair. Your enjoyment of footy will be higher if you roll with the umpire's punches. Simply accept the decision and move on as the champions do.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well done all, you have a great list with some exciting talent. Towelled us up in every aspect.

FWIW - Mabior Chol sighted clubbing in Perth until 4am this morning 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back