Preview Round 22 Preview: Brisbane v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without a doubt this is the most important game the club has played since the Grand Final of 2004, not even the finals appearance of 09 had as much bearing on in season success as this and what a challenge it will be.
I massively respect the Cats and by no means do i think this will be an easy assignment but i also think we have what it takes now to get over this hurdle, get over we must to secure that coveted top two spot and a real shot at making a run for it all.
The stakes are high
Lions by 8

Interesting to see they haven’t named another Ruckman, really doubling down trying to win it from the middle leaving Blitz there.

Hipwood matchup is even more important now

Geelong's lineup looks very defensive on paper. On top of the back six, they've got Stewart in the midfield, Guthrie on a half forward flank, Henry at half forward, and Henderson on the bench.

My suspicion is we'll see a lot of numbers behind the ball from the Cats, once the centre clearances have broken up.

I'm a little worried about getting beaten at our own game this week. With Ablett, Dahlhaus, Miers and Parfitt zipping around the forwardline it'll be a challenge for our backline to block up the space, while we try to transition quickly to give our own small forwards a chance.

The good news is that we are much more practised at defending and using those deep Gabba pockets than the Cats.

Anyone else's nerves started to kick in yet? Going to be a long 24 hours I think.

I am not dealing with the nerves of this season at all well, I am not accustomed to this sort of pressure. I know we are just supposed to be thankful we are here, but it doesn't work foe me sorry, I am nervous all the time about footy LOL. I cannot even start to comprehend what at GF build up would be like.

Huge game.

If we win this we are a lock for top 4 - no possible scenario can bump us out.

If we lose and Crows beat Pies we are a lock for top 4, no possible scenarios can bump us out.

If we lose both - Pies have to win both and score a winning margin of 115 points more than on us in for and against, across both games, to catch up the percentage.

Top 4 is looking 80% likely, but this game just absolutely nails it shut and opens up discussions about top 2.

I am honestly not phased where we finish in the top 4, I just want to qualify for the double chance.

I Feel like a win hunting away is just as likely as being the hunted at home in the first week of finals.

I just moved away from Central Plaza II where I think I could see both of our buildings from the looks of things.

Level move for refurbs means I'm staring at Q Super rather than the Storey Bridge now. And I'm upset at the recent high level of staff turnover at Coop meaning I actually have to give my name and order for my morning coffee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Level move for refurbs means I'm staring at Q Super rather than the Storey Bridge now. And I'm upset at the recent high level of staff turnover at Coop meaning I actually have to give my name and order for my morning coffee.
Why aren't you at The Coffee Club? Call urself a Lion? 😊

The Common Room uses the Hey You app, so all you have to do is nod at the barrista as you take your coffee while leaving your noise cancelling headphones on.

Or so i am told.

The Common Room uses the Hey You app, so all you have to do is nod at the barrista as you take your coffee while leaving your noise cancelling headphones on.

Or so i am told.

How is their dirty bean water though?

Geelong's lineup looks very defensive on paper. On top of the back six, they've got Stewart in the midfield, Guthrie on a half forward flank, Henry at half forward, and Henderson on the bench.

My suspicion is we'll see a lot of numbers behind the ball from the Cats, once the centre clearances have broken up.

I'm a little worried about getting beaten at our own game this week. With Ablett, Dahlhaus, Miers and Parfitt zipping around the forwardline it'll be a challenge for our backline to block up the space, while we try to transition quickly to give our own small forwards a chance.

The good news is that we are much more practised at defending and using those deep Gabba pockets than the Cats.

I'm thinking we'll struggle with them for first 2 quarters but since cats are not scoring that high, the game will always be within our reach for the taking. From Q3 onwards we'll get the ascendancy and would've found a way through their defense, we will put the foot down in Q4 and run away.

Sunny QLD will help us close out with a high differential. Lions by 5 goals+.

I'm thinking we'll struggle with them for first 2 quarters but since cats are not scoring that high, the game will always be within our reach for the taking. From Q3 onwards we'll get the ascendancy and would've found a way through their defense, we will put the foot down in Q4 and run away.

Sunny QLD will help us close out with a high differential. Lions by 5 goals+.

I keep coming back to a similar reasoning.

I can see the Cats containing us for long periods, but not for the entire game. And we have consistently been able to take advantage when we get on top, which isn't true for them. We may be able to win this in a ten minute burst of four or five goals, just as we did against the Hawks.

Even when the Cats are playing well they seem to keep you in the game much like Fremantle do due to their defensive manner. Cats will have guys dropping back in numbers trying to double up our forwards and intercept. I hope we continue to play on quickly and not let them settle numbers behind the ball. Also keep the ball along the ground if they want to stick 2 or 3 all guys deep in defence. See how they go chasing Cameron when the ball is on the deck.

No main ruck for Cats so Stef and Big O need to take advantage of that.

Looking like a warm day. Will be a nice leg up for us and I would expect them to tire in the last qtr.

Lions by 30.

Even when the Cats are playing well they seem to keep you in the game much like Fremantle do due to their defensive manner. Cats will have guys dropping back in numbers trying to double up our forwards and intercept. I hope we continue to play on quickly and not let them settle numbers behind the ball. Also keep the ball along the ground if they want to stick 2 or 3 all guys deep in defence. See how they go chasing Cameron when the ball is on the deck.

No main ruck for Cats so Stef and Big O need to take advantage of that.

Looking like a warm day. Will be a nice leg up for us and I would expect them to tire in the last qtr.

Lions by 30.
1 point will do me (except for the heart palpitations that come with that sort of win)

The no ruck thing the last few weeks Blicavs done well in the ruck. Not winning hitouts as much to being another onballer.
Sort of what Martin does although he can match it in the ruck.
Saw some stats they been a better unit since he took over compared to their other 2 main rucks who are more one dimensional.
McStay contested marks top 10. Big O 15th 31, Andrews 19th 29 and Hippy 40th 21

1​
20​
47​
2​
20​
43​
3​
19​
41​
4​
20​
39​
4​
18​
39​
6​
19​
37​
7​
20​
36​
7​
17​
36​
9​
20​
35​
10​
20​
34​

Unfortunately I am pessimistic, not confident we will win . Geelong are a very mature, well coached team. This is a break out year for our young lions, they have achieved more than anyone would have imagined at the beginning of the year . BUT, If we win tomorrow, it will be amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back