Review Round 3, 2014 - Geelong Cats v Box Hill Hawks, Saturday, 19 April 2014, 6pm @ Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Zac Webster go? I saw he was in the bests.
Was given a lock down role against who ever looked like breaking the game open for the Cats in the Fwd line ( small/med ) .......
Marco singled him out for plaudence at 3/4 time . Great role for him the rebounding defender , fast , hard and evasive .....
Thought TO had his best game for us , for him to grow he MUST get on his bike and become the hit up fwd ....looks great when he works , super hands on the lead and a solid kick .

This is a MASSIVE win !!!
A lot considered that Geelong would go one better this year, that they would be the team to beat given the amount of experience running around for them. Fair call and Port Melbourne are also a favourite.
Well Box Hill will surely now be touted as hot faves and a big chance to go back to back aswell as the Hawks.
To win the Grand Final replay like this down in Geelong is a fantastic result !
It will also give the Hawks some extra confidence and motivation going into Monday's game.

Hear Hear.....The club finally has its act together & it's house in order re the drafting of players & player development....After languishing in mediocrity for almost 2 decades it has identified the most crucial element for sustained success under the current system.....And not before time.....Clarko deserves alot of the credit for this!

Must be fun living in Geelong during football season, especially as a Hawthorn supporter! :)
A lot of people in Geelong just assume you follow the Cats but I'm a proud Hawk and happily show my colours. I'm generally modest when we win (why wouldn't I be - we've had a heap of success and the future also looks bright) so I do get a bit annoyed when there's a queue of Cats supporters at my desk waiting to tell me all about it if they beat us.

Prior to 2007 they all seemed pretty happy with mediocrity and the local paper even celebrated 1989 one year by giving away DVDs! Since 2007 they've really bought into the "greatest team of all" stuff and it can get a bit tedious at times but it makes victory over the Cats even sweeter!!!

Anyone no how litherland and wangers played,listened to the radio broadcast from were I am litherland was the only one named as one of the best by 3WBC but they don't call there names much thru the game?

Anyone no how litherland and wangers played,listened to the radio broadcast from were I am litherland was the only one named as one of the best by 3WBC but they don't call there names much thru the game?
Provided a lot of rebound run as well as very solid in defense. Use his speed to great effect last night both in closing and breaking away.

To back up what HBD said, TOB's hand were like glue on Sat. night. Taking strong one-grab marks and making it very hard to stop for the defenders. Defenders resorted to chopping the arms, and Geelong being Geelong, they got away with it, which BHH didn't, and continued it throughout the game. There were times were he could have led up the wing to give the HB/mids a tall targets to kick to, but he stayed back. Franko and Roughead do this well and TOB will need to bring this aspect to his game as the year progresses.

Thanks Turkey Tom for the photos. Ground looked great and seemed a good crowd in the grandstand. Thanks to everyone for the match reports - so good to hear how well the players are going. Sounds like we have another beauty in Hartung and so good that Shoey is progressing well. Also was happy to hear that Motlop got through the game ok.

Provided a lot of rebound run as well as very solid in defense. Use his speed to great effect last night both in closing and breaking away.

To back up what HBD said, TOB's hand were like glue on Sat. night. Taking strong one-grab marks and making it very hard to stop for the defenders. Defenders resorted to chopping the arms, and Geelong being Geelong, they got away with it, which BHH didn't, and continued it throughout the game. There were times were he could have led up the wing to give the HB/mids a tall targets to kick to, but he stayed back. Franko and Roughead do this well and TOB will need to bring this aspect to his game as the year progresses.
Thank you

Guess when Mitchell was declared fit - Boxer was pushed to Sub.

He did well in last qtr:thumbsu:

He sure did. Looked a natural as if he was right at home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Development squad had a bye this weekend.

To be honest, I thought the VFL missed a trick fixturing this game for a Saturday night in Geelong. Had the VFL come to an arrangement with the AFL about staging this game as a curtain-raiser to the Geelong-Hawthorn game yesterday afternoon, it would have attract a substantial crowd to the game. I recall a couple of years ago the VFL fixtured Collingwood-Box Hill at Victoria Park as a pseudo-curtain raiser to the Hawthorn-Collingwood game later in the afternoon (it was the game where Hodge made his comeback from injury) and there would have been several thousand people at the game.

thanks dixie...keen to get out to city oval sometime soon and take a look at how Shem is going. Any news on how he is fitting in at Hawthorn and his development?

thanks dixie...keen to get out to city oval sometime soon and take a look at how Shem is going. Any news on how he is fitting in at Hawthorn and his development?

From memory, Echols may have written a bit about Tatupu when he played for the development squad against the Zebras the week before last. Should be on the thread for the game against the Zebras.

Keen to hear more on big Shem, I know he played last week but heard nothing from this past weekend.

The week off has been beneficial - now feeling 100%.
terminator.ashx

How is Aiden? Kennedy going?

How is Aiden? Kennedy going?
They play him anywhere there is a problem and he seems to deliver. He pinch hit in the ruck V Sandy and went well.

Hard to see what the knock on him is/was. Certainly impacts the contest enthusiastically. I tend to focus more on the young HFC guys so will have to re-calibrate.

Kennedy's form is so solid I have been wondering what happened at North to make him delisting material.. The Hawks wanted to trade for him 2 seasons ago but North said no to anything we offered (I do not know what we offered). Then last season it became very clear he was on the outer and he would be cut. He was so there was no need to trade for him. So he is at Box Hill and playing so consistently in whatever role is has been asked to do that he is surely AFL good enough. Good height, good skills and seems very coachable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back