Unofficial Preview Round 3: Early Thoughts - Sydney Swans vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week's preview comes from LukeParkerno1

Sydney Swans vs. GWS Giants Preview

Last Start

Sydney def. Port Adelaide by 48 points (Away)

GWS def. Melbourne by 45 points (Neutral, Canberra)

When: Saturday 18th April

Time: 4:40pm first bounce

Weather: 17-30 degrees, chance of a late shower (hopefully after)

The battle of the Bridge at the spiritual home at the SCG, and I’m sure it will be a great, contested afternoon game. Both teams are 2-0 at the start of the season, with the Giants riding high, having not seen the top 4 of an AFL ladder in their history- who would have picked it. It is a game that should answer a few questions on both sides. Are GWS as good as we think? Are Sydney able to bring the pressure they brought last week against Port Adelaide?

The sad news from a team point of view is that club legend Adam Goodes has voluntarily stepped aside as he finds match fitness in the NEAFL, with a yet to be named replacement to be named, which could be the returning Ben McGlynn who will add to the pressure that Sydney will attempt to present GWS with.

Where the game will be won and lost for both sides….

Well in one word, the middle, which includes the clearances for both sides. In fact, if Sydney thinks they will have an easy walk in the park on a Saturday afternoon think again. If they lose the clearances, they could well lose the game, it is that simple. Sydney have to match Treloar, Griffen, Coniglio, Shiel, Whitfield, Ward, and others.

Sydney also need to get the ball to Tippett, Franklin and any other resting forward quickly. Not letting Phil Davis zone off and become a 2nd man in will be crucial. Now for that to happen, Sydney can’t be ‘Buddy centric”.

For GWS to win, they need to firstly play at their optimum best and hope that quick ball movement troubles the key defenders from Sydney. Getting Cameron 1 on 1 will play a big role into how close they get to win this game of football.

GWS’s one advantage is the ruck where Mumford will be again out to show his old club some new or ‘old tricks’. The battle between Mumford and Pyke/Tippett will be one for the ages. Who would want to be a midfielder having to tackle these giants in the ruck? Tippett in the ruck has been a revelation, so Mumford won’t have it all his own way. Mumford needs to get forward at every opportunity to stretch Sydney’s defense, and him against Sydney’s 3rd defender is one area GWS can exploit.

All in all this will be an amazing game, so every Swans and Giants fan get out there and support the game.

Key Players:

SYDNEY SWANS

Luke Parker: absolutely no bias but he will want a big game having been a little inconsistent last week having been concussed in round 1. Needs to push forward a little bit more as I feel as if he is wasting himself just being around the stoppages. What made him so successful last year was his ability to kick 1-2 goals, not so much his 25+ disposals.

Josh Kennedy: In short, behind Nat Fyfe is the Brownlow Favourite and his performance last week showed exactly why. He wins clearances, sets up attacks and his ferocious attack on the ball makes him virtually untaggable. GWS may decide to go head to head on Kennedy admitting you can’t tag him. If this is the case, expect Kennedy to dominate.

Lance Franklin: Hasn’t had the 7+ goal game yet and after 3 players did it last week he will be wanting to get his name near the leaderboard in the Coleman. His defence last week showed why he is the number 1 or 2 (with Jarryd Roughead) forward in the game. The goal he kicked last week, well to put it frankly, only Buddy could kick it.

Sam Reid: Yes you heard me boys and girls, I listed Reid as a key player. He will have a big role Saturday in stopping the forwards. Needs to leave his man at the right time and help Grundy with Cameron.

Heath Grundy: Will have one of the battles on the ground and it is one personally I’m looking forward to. Cameron is the number 1 forward, and this will be a very interesting battle in this game. Grundy needs to use his power and size to try to work to the front, Cameron loves to lead.

Lewis Jetta: Back in form, and Bedford’s best player had a great game last week, kicking two in the first quarter. Still needs to transform a half into a 4 quarter performance that he was doing in 2012. Jetta at his best could be the difference between a flag, so get on board. Jetta off a wing has pace to burn, and he should use that in this game.

GWS GIANTS

Shane Mumford: If GWS have a chance of an absolute upset, Mumford would need to absolutely dominate, and he needs to hurt Sydney forward. He needs to hurt Sydney forward of the centre and kick 2+ goals.

Ryan Griffen: An elite player who came across from the Western Bulldogs. His leadership is obvious, but he needs to find the ball. Seemed to work into the game last week. However, for GWS to be successful one would expect Griffen would need the ball 30+ times.

Devon Smith: You will be thinking…WHAT! However, this wing/HF/mid is critical. In the games Smith kicks 3+, the Giants are very competitive at the very least. His run and carry in and around 50 is particularly critical in the absence of Will Hoskin-Elliot.

Phil Davis: Whoever gets Buddy will have a rough ride, so it is Davis’ responsibility to be 2nd or 3rd man up to blunt these contests. For GWS to have a chance they must neutralize the Swans forward line.

Callum Ward: Will probably get a role with one of the gun midfielders, and will need to find the ball. Ward has been a sensational pickup and continues to thrive with the captaincy for GWS. It will be important for Ward to win contests and again push forward.

Conclusion:

All in all this is a wonderful game, and potentially the match of the round, which should get between 32-40,000 fans to the game on a sunny Saturday afternoon (hopefully)

Tip: Swans by 38 points

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we just field Heeney alone to take on Greater Waste of Space. It's enough.

The only possible change barring injury is McGlynn for Towers although they might prefer to give McGlynn another run in the reserves. By all rights it probably should be Goodes that makes way but I just can't see that happening

Are we sure we can classify what Tom Mitchell does as running though?
He was actually the first player in Australian Rules history to have 64 disposals while remaining completely stationary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was actually the first player in Australian Rules history to have 64 disposals while remaining completely stationary

Do you ever run out of batteries?

In b4 'no I'm not the Sydney midfield.' :p

I'm 20,000 posts behind Sir Swans, I think you're overestimating me ;)

I never run out of batteries otherwise you have to find the handcuff key and its just annoying

I want to keep Goodes in for next week. It's GWS, if he doesn't perform against them well the writing is on the wall.

I wouldn't be taking them lightly, they have the on-ball brigade to cause us problems. Early prediction Swans to absorb the early pressure and win by 6 goals after a tight first half.

I wouldn't be taking them lightly, they have the on-ball brigade to cause us problems. Early prediction Swans to absorb the early pressure and win by 6 goals after a tight first half.

Eh, if we play like we did tonight they won't cause us much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back