Autopsy Round 4 vs St. Kilda @ MARVEL - 08/04/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Things Farrar needs to work on are his defensive body work (such as blocking for one of our players after a handball receive), making sure he puts his body over the ball (often runs straight past it or tries to kick off the ground a lot), and making sure he doesn’t go for a ball in the air when another defender is (he needs to fly with his player, or stay down to watch the out the back play).

His leap, speed and usually his kicking is good. Takes risky options, tries to get the game moving, will run and open up play. I like all that and think he could be a real weapon. But if you are a defender, it has to be team first. He’s just not doing some of those one percenters at key moments.

I also think Long has taken his position, sort of, and Long has more leniency as a new recruit than Farrar. Don’t think they’ve been too different in terms of critical mistakes, but sometimes that’s how it is…

Farrar’s biggest issue is he’s being played out of position. The guy is a goal kicking wing.

But we want him to be a defender 🤷‍♂️

Farrar’s biggest issue is he’s being played out of position. The guy is a goal kicking wing.

Yeah, I think he could play that role, or at least rotate more.

We have a few players forced to defend, unfortunately, who were not recruited or drafted for that reason (MacPherson, Farrar, Weller, Powell, Lemmens, Andrew, Constable etc.)

Our defensive stocks are pretty light on. We just need to get the balance right.

Game day!

I think we're in this up to our necks. Some saints fans expecting a 40 point win on the main board.

Both backlines are pretty solid.
Both forward lines are potentially a bit hit and miss
Personally, I think we have a clear advantage in the midfield though.

Keep giving our forwards opportunities and we'll kick a winning score.
We've got to put that pressure on when they have the ball - don't let them set up their slingshot down to their makeshift forward line.

Saints fans getting way ahead of themselves, need to give them a reality check. Suns 26pts.

Absolute hysteria. Not expecting us to win but it is going to be highly entertaining to watch the melts if we give them a touch up.

Can you make the argument for Farrar as a wing, Corkie? I'm not sure I've heard that before. Having tall wingers would help us play tall down the line. Is he an elite runner? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can you make the argument for Farrar as a wing, Corkie? I'm not sure I've heard that before. Having tall wingers would help us play tall down the line. Is he an elite runner? Cheers

According to article, he did spend some time on the wing before being drafted but he does not seem to have a tank for it in AFL (or at least he was never mentioned as a better runner with Suns and is usually spotted down the pack during time trials).

He does look down on form/confidence, played better last year.

He played the majority of his football off on a wing or off half-back, kicking 10 goals in 15 games and being named in the best on 12 occasions.

Certainly a chance to make a statement on FTA with Victoria watching tonight.

However, until we prove we can win against these fast moving teams under the roof, or even put together a four quarter performance there, I’ll just assume we cop another 5 goal loss after showing signs for a quarter and a bit.

Our skills just aren’t consistently good enough, and a single turnover just so easily results in a 12-point swing the way the Saints are playing. I’m begging they prove me wrong though.

We played as a team against Cats and basically all players contributed and looked in much better form. We need to bring exactly the same effort for 4 quarters against Saints to have any chance.

I like the line-up, team balance. We got now some speed and better kicking skills.

We need to improve in taking opportunities. That's the key for me. Saints will get home advantage from umpires.

I tip Ben King to kick 3+ goals. He could be a difference as he looked very good against Cats except dropping easy uncontested marks.

Last edited:
We played as a team against Cats and basically all players contributed and looked in much better form. We need to bring exactly the same effort for 4 quarters against Saints to have any chance.

I like the line-up, team balance. We got now some speed and better kicking skills.

We need to improve in taking opportunities. That's the key for me. Saints will get home advantage from umpires.

I tip Ben King to kick 3+ goals. He could be a difference as he looked very good against Cats except dropping easy uncontested marks.

He'll be fired up to make a statement this week in Melbourne big Bing.

Certainly a chance to make a statement on FTA with Victoria watching tonight.

However, until we prove we can win against these fast moving teams under the roof, or even put together a four quarter performance there, I’ll just assume we cop another 5 goal loss after showing signs for a quarter and a bit.

Our skills just aren’t consistently good enough, and a single turnover just so easily results in a 12-point swing the way the Saints are playing. I’m begging they prove me wrong though.

Channel 7 in Melbourne is showing swans v port tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints fans getting way ahead of themselves, need to give them a reality check. Suns 26pts.
Mostly we’re just having fun, actually. It’s an extension of the black/gallows humour required to support St Kilda…

Even the most rabid, mentally-damaged of us wouldn’t have had us at 3-0 with our injury list, and maybe not even if we didn’t have the injuries…

Our games against you are always heart-stoppers. Obviously after a win, but personally, I like you guys, so I hope it’s a good game either way.

Not like yesterday’s farce.

Last edited:
had a feeling we'll beat swans and bombers, didn't against cats.

think we'll beat the saints means we'll actually go 1-3

no reason why we can't match it against the saints, they are due to drop one.

According to article, he did spend some time on the wing before being drafted but he does not seem to have a tank for it in AFL (or at least he was never mentioned as a better runner with Suns and is usually spotted down the pack during time trials).

He does look down on form/confidence, played better last year.

Thanks, Jirik.

Game day!

I think we're in this up to our necks. Some saints fans expecting a 40 point win on the main board.
Well if they want to get carried away then we can too - let's go out there and get a 40+ win to move into the top 8 tonight!

In all honesty, I think this will be a tight one. We often have close ones against St Kilda and they usually beat us in that scenario so it would be a good test for the boys to play a tight away game against a side that usually wins the close games against us and we find a way to snatch it. We also need to work on our poor record at Marvel because it's really holding us back. I'm really looking forward to hearing our vocal Vic Army tonight!

Sorry to pop by but my Word is that Witts is out and someone is making their debut this evening. Good luck lads
If that's true then it would be Moyle. However, we heard rumours in the lead up to the Essendon game that Touk was out and he ended up played so we'll wait for confirmation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back