Autopsy Round 7 vs Richmond @ MARVEL - 30/04/23 - 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Good honest win was what we needed tonight. Lotta contributors, lotta heart. Gonna take a lot more than that to beat Melbourne but we can play so much better I’m sure.

Up the Sunnies.

Still here… hard to slam the coach when he got another 4pts

Mind you 2 of our 3 wins are from teams in the bottom 4

Still plenty going wrong but the teams talented enough to make up for Dew’s shortfalls of the odd occasion

Still plenty going wrong but the teams talented enough to make up for Dew’s shortfalls of the odd occasion
I did like him down in the dug out and leave the tactics to King in the box

Meant to reply on the burner account?

Well well well then.

Step into my office

Just wanna give a shoutout to our Vic Army who were once again outstanding and loud at all times throughout the game. We could definitely hear you through the TV and it was fantastic to hear the GOOOOOOOLD COAST chant ringing around the ground in the final minute of the game when we knew we had it in the bag. It gave me flashbacks to our win against Collingwood at the 'G a few years back when our supporters gave them a taste of their own medicine by hitting them with the GOOOOOOOLD COAST chant in the last minute of the game :D

The commentators seemed to be in disbelief when it was happening at the end of the Richmond game and the fact that the match was shown nationally on CH7 just makes it even sweeter because our players and supporters really showed up when the most amount of eyes were on us. Awesome effort from everyone involved and you should all be proud of yourselves.

First half

Positives
Powell, DMac, Witts, Rowell all outstanding, ball movement is much better, less panic, Anderson is silk

Negatives
Listening to Watson and Lloyd as commentators. Kick into the forward 50, the leading of King and Chol, fiorini is sllllooooowwwwww, Humphreys being played out of position and as a result out muscled, goal kicking, Holman, Swallow
What do you see as humphrey’s correct position?

He was a forward/midfielder as a youngster who often played deep forward and used his power and overhead marking to good effect.

Both last week and this week he played mostly deep forward with an occasional stint in the midfield.

Was matched up by grimes and broad who are tough match ups for a mid sized forward.

He won’t have the tank to play more than brief stints in the midfield.

Also, the kicking of Lukosious was flat out atrocious.
Trying to do too much with his right foot.
12 kicks and 0 hb and I think registered 8 clangers.
Has he been drinking his own bath water and reading his own press?
Do the basics first, like hitting the open target.

Enjoyed listening on radio live then getting to watch the replay after.

Anderson kicking getting better. Not just blasting. Hitting the scoreboard regularly now.
0 goals 2021, 11 goals 2022, 6 goals in 7 games 2023
Turning into a legitimate gun.

Powell. What can’t he do? Excellent in the air, quick, strong, beautiful flat kick. One of our best players on the list.

Witts. A monster. Another fantastic game from him today. Averaging more possessions, clearances, Marks, goals than any previous year at the suns.

Rowelly gave his all as usual but thought decision making and execution off for him a bit today.

Dmac. Made a few skill errors or bad decisions today but overwhelmingly positive. His ability to win a ball when on the ground and in dispute is amazing, even when outnumbered. You know he never gives up.

Ballard immense in the air and composed with ball in hand. His best game this year, easily. Rebounded strongly from that poor game against the bombers.

Ellis and Atkins gave us what we needed from our wingers. 25 touches each @ >85% efficiency with nearly 950m gained. That’s what you would expect from 29 year old experienced players. Atkins looked pretty composed ball in hand. Wouldn’t it be a turnaround if he becomes a reliable contributer to this team.

Filling in for Miller Fiorini was pretty good - again bobs up for a handy goal. Bone crunching tackle on Ross was great to see.

Kingy was good again. 10 disposals, 5 marks, 4 goals. His kicking for goal is one of his main assets. 16 goals 3 😍 for the season. There were times he didn’t look like he knew where to lead and made it hard for midfielders to kick to his advantage. Needs to continue to work on that forward craft.

Lemmens, collins solid in backline. Didn’t make many mistakes.

Holman finishing with a couple of goals was nice. Got to see him get rewarded for the hard work he does. Rosas was class once he came on.

Poor games from
Swallow - didn’t play with composure and missed a few targets.

Humphrey. Couldnt get near it with some of the forward delivery and often defended by grimes or broad who are tough match ups for him - bigger yet still very quick.

Chol. Doesn’t try hard enough all game. Saw burgess rucked quite a bit even with Moyle back. Wonder if he gets a call up at Chols expense.

Lukosius was ok but kicking let him down today. Only 2 score involvements.

Overall, we did what we had to.
We won the disposal, marks, tackle count, kicked more goals and overall were the better team.

Richmond look out of sorts despite still having a number of good players. They weren’t particularly young either.

Currently 13th best offense and 9th best defense. A 3-4 record is probably fair. The Freo game really is a killer. Beating the cats, docker, tigers, north would have been a decent start to the year.

Onto next week. Can only hope we play with some confidence after 2 wins in a row.

Reality check.

Out injured .. Jack Graham, Josh Gibcus, Maurice Rioli, Toby Nankervis, Seth Campbell, Tom Brown, Jeb Smith, Tom Lynch, Robbie Tarrant, Mate Colina. Rested Dion Prestia.

Richmond total wins = 1. Drawn 1. Thrashed by strugging Swans.
Okay Ben Drever

I do agree that if Mate Colin, Jeb Smith, Tom Brown, Ben Nason, Seth Campbell and Relton Roberts had played we'd be no chance. Huge outs.

Ballard is worth pick 2 on his own but it was still a s**t deal at the time I

BTW, it’s disingenuous that you left out the 4x 2nd rounders that were also part of the deal as stated in my post
No-the 4 2nd rounders were a disaster but you can't just bundle all the trades together and say they/re all bad
You also can't ignore the impact of a decent footballer wanting to come home
He is the best player to actually want to come to The Suns next to Ablett
Think about that because it's both pleasing;) and sad at the same time
edit: I always forget about The Witta-seems like he has always been a Sun

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good win. I was a bit pessimistic how we will go against Tigers who were impressive against Demons for 3 quarters a week ago. But we controlled the game most of the time. That short chipping works :p We missed again easy shots early (bloody hell, Ainsworth's snap shot did not even cross the line) but thanks God we improved as the game went on. We were able to slow things down when needed.

Positives

The team played as a unit well, only a couple of players are in my negatives. We were able to adjust, did not panic, controlled the game. We looked reasonably confident. Midfield did decent job without Miller.

Defence was the best so far this season. Powell was simply stunning. Ballard also took it to another level.

Atkins – who would expect his good performance. There is an interview with him on codesports website.

Witts – I had a feeling after donating a goal he got upset with himself and played out of his skin.

Fiorini – I thought he did well in the middle.

Davies – was good IMO.

Rosas – was great when he came in as sub. Happy to see that.

Great set shots from King.

Negatives

Humphrey – Nothing he touched worked. But we forgive him.

Chol – simply not good enough effort. Stop complaining about deliveries. Bad look. I would send him to VFL again. Time for Burgess. That will teach him a lesson. Haha.

Sexton - did not really take his chance. It will be interesting to see if he stays.

No-the 4 2nd rounders were a disaster but you can't just bundle all the trades together and say they/re all bad
You also can't ignore the impact of a decent footballer wanting to come home
He is the best player to actually want to come to The Suns next to Ablett
Think about that because it's both pleasing;) and sad at the same time
edit: I always forget about The Witta-seems like he has always been a Sun
Agree, 4 2nd rounders were not part of Weller deal. I suspect Suns did this deal hoping that Freo will accept Eagles 1st rounder for Weller.

I have no problem with Weller deal now (I was a bit upset when it was happening :) as was Clayton). Weller plays great right now in a perfect role for him (and even just before ACL). It was good to see yesterday that coaches sent him in the middle when Tigers pushed back in the last quarter. No issue we gave up pick 2 for him. Ballard was a great bonus of the deal.

D Macs turnaround is nothing short of remarkable. I had him gone and delisted numerous times.
I'm so happy for him. The Club were happy to trade him off to North and he requested to stay and fight for his spot. He came to my sons training earlier this year and he's an awesome young man.
👏👏👏

A good win. I was a bit pessimistic how we will go against Tigers who were impressive against Demons for 3 quarters a week ago. But we controlled the game most of the time. That short chipping works :p We missed again easy shots early (bloody hell, Ainsworth's snap shot did not even cross the line) but thanks God we improved as the game went on. We were able to slow things down when needed.

Positives

The team played as a unit well, only a couple of players are in my negatives. We were able to adjust, did not panic, controlled the game. We looked reasonably confident. Midfield did decent job without Miller.

Defence was the best so far this season. Powell was simply stunning. Ballard also took it to another level.

Atkins – who would expect his good performance. There is an interview with him on codesports website.

Witts – I had a feeling after donating a goal he got upset with himself and played out of his skin.

Fiorini – I thought he did well in the middle.

Davies – was good IMO.

Rosas – was great when he came in as sub. Happy to see that.

Great set shots from King.

Negatives

Humphrey – Nothing he touched worked. But we forgive him.

Chol – simply not good enough effort. Stop complaining about deliveries. Bad look. I would send him to VFL again. Time for Burgess. That will teach him a lesson. Haha.

Sexton - did not really take his chance. It will be interesting to see if he stays.
Touk is going to be a blessing in disguise. Others will be forced to step up and the coach has been forced out of plan A only. It's a win in the SHORT term.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back