Autopsy Round 4 vs St. Kilda @ MARVEL - 08/04/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the way Dew wants us to play. We’ve been training for this the last few years. Get it in deep, lock it in with the smalls, and hopefully snag a goal. Talls just stand there and provide a contest to bring it to ground hopefully.

We have two of the better quick, agile, one v one key forwards in the league in Chol and King (hopefully returns to form). But the way we play completely neutralises them. Tonight showed there is little point in them leading. The players up the field are just going to kick it as far as they can anyway.
Yeah. It's sad isn't it.

This is the way Dew wants us to play. We’ve been training for this the last few years. Get it in deep, lock it in with the smalls, and hopefully snag a goal. Talls just stand there and provide a contest to bring it to ground hopefully.

We have two of the better quick, agile, one v one key forwards in the league in Chol and King (hopefully returns to form). But the way we play completely neutralises them. Tonight showed there is little point in them leading. The players up the field are just going to kick it as far as they can anyway.
We’ve proven we don’t need to do that. But when the pressure is on, that’s what we do.

I hope players like Chol, Ellis, Sharp, Lemmens, Farrar beat down the door and force selection. Plenty of players on watch after that.

Just start Sexton in the main team—can’t do any worse.
Humphrey was good (wish he kicked a few) and Moyle was decent. Who knows of Witts is back next week.

King and a Casboult just don’t have the cohesion. Way too close together. Casboult is our best tall forward, somehow…

The only positive I can think of is, the tigers and Hardwick sucked ass before the dynasty so there’s that I guess let’s go

Mini GF record Won 1 Lost 1.

The thing about Mini GFs is you actually need to most likely win all of them to have a good year.

Dew tonight in an incredibly important night for our club rested Witts with soreness.

He set the tone for what was a weak sop limp pathetic and embarrassing display that has set us back again.

Huge damage inflicted tonight.

It’s highly likely that this game was our last Mini GF for 2023 and I won’t reappear again till next year.

If I do bob up again this year then Dew will have done a great job in bouncing back from this diabolical evening.

All the best. Go the GC.

The only positive I can think of is, the tigers and Hardwick sucked ass before the dynasty so there’s that I guess let’s go
I always had that hope too. Felt we had the team. Feeling less and less assured every week.

Just don’t see us clicking at all. Too many players down on form. So disappointed in Hollands and Ainsworth this season. King is getting pretty heavily judged, but he just isn’t getting space or being used to his advantage.

Also, if Witts is out, I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t ok next week either.

On the positive side, Moyle hardly disgraced himself. 36 HO, 7 tackles and we won the clearances. His work around the ground will come with experience but a good lesson tonight from one of the better moving rucks in the league.

Humphrey cracked in. Get games into the kid and he’ll fly once he is comfortable at the level.

Not sure about Moyle, very early for him but his ruck work looks good but the rest of his game was non-existent, 0 marks. Definitely just play Humphrey, he will get better and better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went tonight, still not 100% recovered from my flu, this performance didn't make me feel any better either.

The suns can be so frustrating. Go from a performance v Geelong last week... to this. Polar opposites.

First quarter could be forgiven, as it was scrappy but inaccurate should have been ahead at QT. But those poor skill errors and fumbles didn't stop, which then became turnovers and goal to St Kilda. Team will make you pay and they sure did especially on the outside.

Just couldn't go with them when they moved the ball that quick. Broken tackles were a many, lack of forward pressure to keep the ball inside 50. It woud get pinged in, and then come straight back out again.

Mac is too light to be playing. Needs a couple more pre-seasons in the gym.

Elijah Hollands - F
Mac Andrew - F
Joel Jeffery - F
Ben King - F
Jack Lukosius - D
Ben Long - D
Henry Oea - D
Malcolm Rosas - D
Charlie Ballard - D

My fear from the pre season was where would the improvement come from?
Elijah Hollands - F
Mac Andrew - F
Joel Jeffery - F
Ben King - F
Jack Lukosius - D
Ben Long - D
Henry Oea - D
Malcolm Rosas - D
Charlie Ballard - D
I would have given Andrew an H-he is so far away from being an AFL quality defender you have to wonder if he'll make it
I guess I though the same about Jacob Weitering
Not only did he make mistakes he didn't even compete
And when he tried to do something he ran into his own team mates
When you see what Ashcroft did at The Gabba and then look at Hollands and Andrew you just think sigh
There's just such a huge delta between our players good games and bad games
My 3 R's of superstars
Recovery Resilience Reproducibility
Rowell Anderson Witts Miller Swallow Weller all produce good games and not so good games-but rarely stinkers-that's what makes them champions

Elijah Hollands - F
Mac Andrew - F
Joel Jeffery - F
Ben King - F
Jack Lukosius - D
Ben Long - D
Henry Oea - D
Malcolm Rosas - D
Charlie Ballard - D
At least 4 of those players need to be dropped, and 1 more swapped to sub.

Ballard has a bad 1st quartered but got a bit better. Andrew also got a little better (at least he had some nice kicks), but just had no good match up for tonight and therefore was found out a lot.

Cannot believe how far off it Hollands is. Nothing like the player he was last year. Playing well out of position, but his kicking is a real worry. Just horrendous.

Long makes too many dumb choices. He seems to hesitate or be caught in two minds. He is almost solid. Almost. I liked him last week; but this week he reminded me of Lemmens (like, the old, dump kick try and evade a tackler for no reason version of Lemmens).

Ace is not good enough. Love his efforts, but he is not the player we need right now. How you can look at a mostly fit list and 1st pick him is a mystery.

Joel and Rosas are not Rankine. They just don’t have the brain to do things consistently. They do classy things, and dumb things—the latter more often.

Luko and our two other forwards and mids need to work together more. No cohesion. Our forward line is a shambles, when on paper it is solid.

Dew is your typical s**t coach like Teague, Rutten etc. The players love him as a mate, but don't fear putting in a crap performance like you would under Ross, clarko etc.

The whole forward line that was successful last year being turned upside down to a worse version and continual selection of young guys not even close to AFL quality yet, is bewildering.

I wonder whether the new chairman will be as patient with Dew that Cochrane was. Sounds like results is what he wants. He needs to demand it.
I am pretty sure Dew will be gone this year if we continue like this. That second half was coach's killer. After first quarter we should be up by 3 goals but as usual we could not convert. Some misses were comical. Then Saints cranked up the pressure and we could not go with them and looked rattled, hopeless in second half.

A lot of bad performances, shockers. Midfield demolished after first quarter with no adjustments.

The only positives for me were decent debuts of Ned and 🐻.

Two bad teams meeting on Fri.

Just wanna say Ned Moyle looks like a serious player!! Comparable in size to big Wittsy and he honestly beat Marshall quite a few times tonight. Will be a player, let's hope he repays the faith and stays at the Suns. :thumbsupemoji:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back