Review Round 5, 2023 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Port beat Sydney every year irrespective of performance through the season. Haven't lost to them since 2016.

As for Brisbane, they were majorly off in round 1. Port deserve credit for the win but if those sides played 10 times I wouldn't be betting Port win more than 3 of them.

I have written in the games against St Kilda, Melbourne, Richmond (away), Carlton (away), Collingwood and Geelong (away) as certain losses. That takes them to 8 losses on the season. 11 and you miss the finals.
This is really just proving my point. Geelong and Richmond have won one game from four and one game from five respectively. If you're penciling them in as 'certain losses' then your system is off.

For all the bed wetters here worrying that Port will make finals, they have a 4 game stretch in July and early August that reads away to Carlton, Collingwood, the away Showdown and Geelong. They then have to play Freo in Perth two weeks later.

Need to win at least 13 games to make finals. Given they still have games against Essendon (twice), the Crows, Collingwood, Geelong (twice), Freo in Perth, Carlton and St Kilda away, Melbourne and Richmond (twice) I simply can't see the numbers falling a way such they're in the 8 at the end of the home and away season. In years they would have conveniently blamed the fixture. However given the situation of Ken being out of contract they will have no choice at that point but to move on.
I think the Dogs made the 8 last year on 12 wins?

I know Todd had a pretty ordinary first 3 quarters and has been a bit down on form, but he doesn't seem to drop his head when things aren't going well for him. If he's missing goals he should kick or dropping marks he'll try and make up for it with some good defensive stuff.

I know Todd had a pretty ordinary first 3 quarters and has been a bit down on form, but he doesn't seem to drop his head when things aren't going well for him. If he's missing goals he should kick or dropping marks he'll try and make up for it with some good defensive stuff.
Given he was struggling to make an impact & was getting out muscled in contests I was impressed he hung in there mentally to produce some game winning moments in Q4.

Good win in terrible conditions.
Butters had a great game. Rozee, Bergman and Dan were good.
JFH, Marshall and Finlayson stepped it up in the last quarter.
I like DBJ forward and Williams is doing well down back.
Poor game from Lycett, Rioli and Burton.
About time Ken stuck up for JFH, showed a fair bit of passion in the press conference. Was good to see.

Charlie Dixon is in great form at the moment and looks to be really enjoying the game. I’d have him in the AA Squad after 5 rounds.

I for one am loving the physical presence from Todd this year. Has laid 3 or 4 huge hits on oppo players fairly by just straight lining the ball in a contest. Play like that as a forward and you've got a game in any Port Adelaide team I want to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one am loving the physical presence from Todd this year. Has laid 3 or 4 huge hits on oppo players fairly by just straight lining the ball in a contest. Play like that as a forward and you've got a game in any Port Adelaide team I want to watch.

10 goals after Rd 5, he’s having a solid year and on track for 40 again. Had a bad game against Adelaide but he was no orphan.

Those that were booing JHF can eat a bag of dicks. Absolute flogs!
Came all the way from Melbourne to see the roos get pumped and a JHF master-class.

Good luck to them.

Have always said he's a motivational coach - leave the tactical stuff to the others.

Being on the bench allows him to use his strengths much more

If he’s the great motivator / man manager as claimed it’s a bit confusing why it’s taken him so long to get to the bench. Especially after many coaches started doing it post the Covid seasons.

So much crystal ball predictions going on….

3 and 2 is an ok start. It has taken 5 rounds to work out the best 22 though and still going…

Surely Lycett out is a given.

With Lycett out and Dixon playing up the ground, we need this presence. I thought he was better last night than many have said, and he was held off the contest in many 1:1s which limited his effectiveness early. Hope the last quarter boosted his confidence.

So does anybody think some of the changes are being made by other people?

I mean they all work as a team but since Tredrea said what he said it has seemingly made things happen with Ken on the bench, Jonas, DBJ dropped, DBJ to the forward line, Williams getting more game time, Lycett subbed out, etc... seems more tactical.

Peter Popular

I would have preferred the scarf to be the right way up, but kudos to him for getting onto the hill below the scoreboard in last night's conditions, and only a minor faux pas when compared to that yank president who was pictured `reading' a fairy story to kindergarten kids while holding the book upside down. :rolleyes:

Next Post...

People aren't complaining that Marshall wasn't "elite" in the first half. He was a complete non-entity. Simply trailed his man to the ball constantly.

And seriously, you want to drop the bar down to Rory Lobb? You lower expectations for Marshall quicker than the Port board lowers expectations for Ken.

Pointing out the sky is blue isn’t making excuses

Pointing out the performance of 5 other kfs on the night is entirety relevant information.

Especially to a group who have unrealistic expectations of what kfs can do in our sport.

Marshals night was about on par with every other kf on the ground up until he went up a level and won the game.

As I said, if ugle Hagen, who might as well not shown up last night, was on our team the same Marshall haters would want him fired into the sun. Which would be dumb cause he’s a very promising kf.

With Lycett out and Dixon playing up the ground, we need this presence. I thought he was better last night than many have said, and he was held off the contest in many 1:1s which limited his effectiveness early. Hope the last quarter boosted his confidence.
He was fine last night.

I’m assuming the majority of big footy posters have played a lot of footy and should know that last nights conditions were terrible for a key forward.

He’s turning into a fine footballer and credit to Hinkley, he’s backed him in from the start.

Time to put that video review back in the box. How that video umpire could call Rioli's kick off the ground as touched is beyond everyone bar the video umpire. If the AFL are going to have a review they need to do what the NRL have dione and have multiple close up cameras. They seem to be relying on one camera angle which most times is inconclusive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back