Game Day Round 5: Collingwood v St Kilda, Sunday 16 April, 4.50pm, AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things, but the defeat against Brisbane won't be one of them. Let's not rake over those ashes. Well, just when it's relevant to this week.

The Saints

We face a team that has outperformed all of my expectations by a country mile. St Kilda. The Prodigal Son returns in Ross Lyon, and I thought it may have ended up more like Malthouse's stint at Carlton, a farce (which couldn't have happened to a kinder club, the decades-long ethically bankrupt Blues, but that's another story). Lyon has brought his renowned defensive pressure and got middling players to improve markedly. He's stared down an injury list that sends shivers down my spine with aplomb. A game that for me was box-checking exercise suddenly becomes a daunting task. Others can comment more on the Saint's players, since I haven't followed their games closely enough but I'm concerned enough as we head into the week.

Since I usually say something about how we should view the opposition, from "they have no right to exist" (Carlton) to I have a soft spot for them (Fremantle), a few words about the Saints. I remember the days when they were constantly wooden spooners, but a destination club for blond-haired partiers. Such a pity modern training standards have forced the Saints out of the nightclubs and into the gym, and Ross the boss will solidify this. So they've lost their character, their uniqueness, and their charm. Another club which it's hard to hate, but also hard to have any feelings for at all. The neglected child of the family, the one you humour at Christmas about their hours in the video game dungeon and their pr0n addiction, a club so lacking in encouragement that they need a participation award for the last 50 years. Give them a ribbon.

The Pies

A disrupted week, a fired up opponent, some ruck problems, and a performance that just couldn't quite reach our earlier levels -- everyone knows what happened at the Gabba.

The questions:

1. Do we stay with McStay and Johnson? The big O got the better of us, but what other options do we have? I'd say yes, that's the combo until Cox or Begg is back. And will the coaches make any other changes to structure or personnel? Seems unlikely given the VFL performances -- and we're pretty much out of key position players anyway.

2. Does Crisp have a case to answer? For what? His personal snapchats are none of your business, none of mine, and none of the AFLs. That's what makes everything fundamentally different from DeGoey's Bali shenanigans. De Goey was in public (and De Goey's was silly but that's all). Let's all just move on.

3. Is the "forward-pressure on the handballer" strategy (as used by the Lions) against our game plan able to be emulated by other teams. Are we being found out? The Saints are well-placed to test this. It didn't help that we lost the territory battle in Brisbane, so fix clearances up and we're way harder to stop.

The Washup

We'll bounce back after an off-night, the saints will bring it to the table, it's be another last-man-standing affair, but in the end, we still have them on personnel, game plan, and confidence.

Pies by 15 points.

Rowan Marshall must have watched this game with a full mast.

Goodluck Craig because I dont know what the hell we are going to do with the ruck dilemma.

Sorry if you’re not ready young fella - but Steene needs to come in and at least make a contest in there. We made McInerney look like prime Dean Cox, and Marshall is a significant upgrade on Oscar.

To those knocking mcstay - our forward line looked the most cohesive when he was i50 imo, the role he was brought in to play. So while he might not have a lot of it clearly his value to our forward line is massive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What in the actual fk was that? We got fisted out the back all night, our defenders were abysmal, I reckon we gave up at least 7 goals out the back, hammered in the ruck but that’s no surprise, I would’ve moved Moore into the ruck before 3qtr time and swung Checkers back and McStay forward.

Worst game I’ve seen Crisp play, has something else on his mind obviously.

Elliott’s kicking is becoming an issue.

What in the actual fk was that? We got fisted out the back all night, our defenders were abysmal, I reckon we gave up at least 7 goals out the back, hammered in the ruck but that’s no surprise, I would’ve moved Moore into the ruck before 3qtr time and swung Checkers back and McStay forward.

Elliott’s kicking is becoming an issue.
Because our backs push up but we got smoked at clearance and the ball came in quick

Sorry if you’re not ready young fella - but Steene needs to come in and at least make a contest in there. We made McInerney look like prime Dean Cox, and Marshall is a significant upgrade on Oscar.

To those knocking mcstay - our forward line looked the most cohesive when he was i50 imo, the role he was brought in to play. So while he might not have a lot of it clearly his value to our forward line is massive.
McStay was not missed in the forward line. We need to stop making excuses for his low output. Mihocek had his best game this year without him. We had enough scoring shots. Just couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Didn't watch the VFL, but Steene is a kid isnt he? Not sure they'll do it.

I'd look at rucking Ash more heavily, thought he did a really good job and is very handy around the ball once its on the deck. Send McStay back to the forward line, he needs to kick a few to get back in my good books.

IN: Steene Allan Ryan

Out: Reef Crisp(IF Suspended) IQ

Ryan Misses out IF Crisp Plays
As if they are playing 3 debutants!!
A- Steene isn’t ready, no point playing him because he is tall he will getting hammered.
B- Ryan won’t be near a game for at least the first half of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back