1. See 8 of the best Greyhounds in the country race for glory in the 2014 Sky Racing TOP GUN. Hit The Meadows to see all the action on Saturday Night October 25.

Review Round 5: Gold Coast v North Melbourne

Discussion in 'Gold Coast' started by bballscout, Apr 22, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. Sunny_

Sunny_ Moderator

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    New England Patriots
    4th quarter wasn't AS bad as the third, though certainly not special. Just need to kick straight and we'd be closer.

Seems to be just the one quarter that kills us.

If you had asked me to take a 34 point defeat to North at ETIHAD no less, given their recent form, without Ablett, Rischitelli and Harbrow, arguably our biggest playmakers off defense and through the middle, I would have taken it.

Just that one quarter... kills us every time. When we can block the flow there, we're in a chance to win many more games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Hellgood

Hellgood Team Captain

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Not surprised to see Horsely playing so well after seeing him dominate last year for Subiaco.
  3. SandyToes

SandyToes Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    NMFC
    Hear what you're saying Sunny, but that was nearly our most even performance of the year
    You only have to be off 5% for a good team like North to put their foot on your throat
    With our injuries and young list, I'm relaxed about that performance
    Horsley made a fine debut
    Warnock ...perplexing he couldn't get a game at Melbourne..has been good for us so far
  4. Sunny_

Sunny_ Moderator

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    New England Patriots
    I think our Essendon game was perhaps better than tonight, but that game tonight was definitely a step in the right direction.

Matty Warnock -- consistently playing on gun forwards. Leading spoiler in the league Shaw said I think? :D Not a bad effort considering how much pressure he's always under.

Harley seems to be getting better with each and every week. So glad he re-signed. :D

Hunt... jeez he's a wrecking ball. Love the way he goes about it. I thought his head got taken off for a moment but he got right back up. :eek:

Dixon a great return into the seniors. Will hold his spot over Fraser. He may not get the taps, but he just busts his gut for the second efforts.

Horse a great debut. Just looked at his stats, fantastic defensive player! 8 tackles along with 19 possessions. Shame we cannot see him through the whole year.

Lynch and Day really showed something up forward I think. Was waiting for Day to present something, and really did so tonight.

Wilkinson had a real shaky return. Will probably be dropped after that effort. Looked uncomfortable every time he had it.

Smith really down. Haven't seen him that down all year. Was a shame, since I thought he was coming back to form. Really beaten tonight.
  5. Breakthelines

Breakthelines Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Altona Vikings
    Brennan (Bum) needs to go when his contract is up.

Terrible skills, poor decision maker and slower than a wet week. :eek:

See you later Bum!!! :thumbsu:
  6. PaPaGeorGeo

PaPaGeorGeo Senior List

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sam Day looked alot faster around the ground to my eyes, still waiting for him to take a massive hanger
  7. SandyToes

SandyToes Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    NMFC
    I'm Josh Fraser fan, but probably a bigger Dicko fan! LOL
    Really glad he played well today
  8. riteo

riteo Spec Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Sowfs
    Pretty much, dude was always gonna thrive at this level. Really hope he's cemented his spot in the side, will only get better :thumbsu:
  9. exile

exile Premium Platinum

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    1. Brennan needs to be dropped.

2. Harley is a deadset legend.

3. Great that we can show a big effort without Gaz.

4. To all the North fans raving on in the previous week about how they wanted to smash us by 200 or whatever, ha. I'm glad we stuck to our guns for about a half. Takes the sting out of their win.

5. Horsely will fit in quite nicely.

6. Hunt played well, once again.
  10. riteo

riteo Spec Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Sowfs
    Seriously? Surely Ablett could come in for Brennan or Brown instead?
  11. exile

exile Premium Platinum

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Bit premature, I think Sunny. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Sunny_

Sunny_ Moderator

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    New England Patriots
    Horsley is a rookie, and will only be on the senior list until Harbrow recovers. He's only playing since Harbs is on the LTI. Nominated rookie.

Horse will have 10 or so weeks until Harbrow comes back in, where he takes his spot once more. At least that's my understanding of how the rule works.

He'll be elevated though at the end of this year though, that's for sure.
  13. Sunny_

Sunny_ Moderator

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    New England Patriots
    Look at the contracts thread! :p
  14. pauly_moss

pauly_moss Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Would love to see Ablett start frward when he comes in and let the young guys start in the middle, i think they lift when he isnt there and overall are a better team. Brennan needs to go forward as well he is a liability in the backline but could give that creative flair and take the big mark which is needed up forward
  15. exile

exile Premium Platinum

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Geez I sure hope it's true.
  16. mark73

mark73 Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Well done on a great performance.
  17. Bluish

Bluish Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I hope I don't sound patronising considering you guys lost, but I genuienely thought the Suns showed a lot tonight. Maintained pressure for for most of the game and forced our blokes into mistakes. All while missing some key experienced players. Definitely going to be hard to beat in a couple of years.
  18. SandyToes

SandyToes Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    NMFC
    not sure it was great ...but you beat Geelong by not much less a couple of weeks ago at the same venue, so you can understand our anxiety without our 3 top playmakers
    Thomas and Petrie made a big difference and I haven't changed my opinion that Leigh Adams should be captain of the NMFC
  19. juzzo

juzzo All Australian

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    You'd be fairly lucky to make it through that period without another 8+ week injury to someone on your list.
  20. tigernova

tigernova Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Dees
    at half time i thought i had become methuselah....ah well. the boys done fine..

21. Old Skool

Old Skool Account Cancelled by User

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I think a lot of people, including some of your own supporters, are underselling the talent in the Suns line up.

The scoreboard probably flattered you guys in the end, but the work in the contests from such a young side was eye catching.
  22. Iva Bigun

Iva Bigun All Australian

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Morningside Panthers, Reds, Celtics
    Hey Old shcool thanks for the comments, I wish a few more of your fellow Roo supporters showed the same level of respect, comments such as North will be looking to exceeding the Bombers first quarter record score against us on your board dont endear these people to us. I hope you found our board to be a little more tolerant and and inviting.

Good luck for the rest of the year.
  23. Big Red Machine

Big Red Machine Ranga Kindgom

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Baltimore Ravens, Anaheim Ducks
    I might go into more detail later but I'll say this for now, Super impressed with how we did considering the injury toll.

BUT We need to stop falling apart after half time and as my mate says (Rather quite loud mind you) Give him a lead!

The reason Brennan looked like he played like crap is because he had nothing to kick to, He had to force balls in to places he shouldn't of had to if someone would do some running and make a lead he might not have to make those "bad" kicks.

But we don't have Harbow to run it out of the backline so that's hurt us there too.
  24. supernova_

supernova_ Team Captain

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree 100% with this. Know your team mates limitations, as well as your own. Brennan had a right to be frustrated. Personally I know I can only kick 45m consistently, my team mates know my limitations and you get leads accordingly. Not 70m from play, or no leads at all. :eek:

Other than that, good endeavour for about 60-70% of the game