Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Agree, I thought McCreery would be playing more midfield minutes this season but he is still in and out of games. We can get more out of him and we should be trying to.
We will not get more out of him while he continues to fumble. Needs to be a one touch player, particularly in front of goal.

Whilst we did hace our chances to win today, it really feels like we got out of jail. We were smashed in the centre, especially in the last quarter. I'm not looking forward to Carlton next week.

Darcy Moore 23 disposals, 8 marks, 11 intercepts

Oh captain, my captain
Joking surely? Darcy cost us 4 goals by being in no man’s land all day, pushing up when he shouldn’t, tried to mark instead of spoiling and sits in the 50 on nobody in particular.
He is so loose it’s cost us games this year and today as a defender he was horrendous.

When our kids are subs, we tend to bring them on very late giving them kettle chance to be effective.

However, when it’s a veteran, they tend to come on early 3rd quarter.

So, either the coach has little confidence in our kids, or is one of those coaches too afraid to take a chance with them.
Coaching staff commitment to development is certainly an issue. An understandable one to some extent when dealing with a premiership side but they need more exposure

Been floating around disinterested all season. Being dropped hasn't helped either. He's not tuned in and he's not the only one. He & Mitchell would be dropped if we had two more capable midfield players to come in but our depth is not great. And let's not pretend that Fin MaCrae is an answer either. Something need to change up with our midfield mix but it might be next season.

I thought Mitchell was quite good today. I'm not sure why he was subbed off, should have been Sidey.
The other player that concerns me, career wise, is Howe. He isn't getting to contests much, and getting caught behind his opponent on the lead quite alot.
I'm not sure how our defence is going to go against Curnow and McKay next Friday night....oh boy!!

De Goey's handball disposal is VFL level in this game. All poor for AFL midfielder level.
Overall, a bad game from him.

Noble, had a good play late but he also had a 5 minute stretch where he took risks and didn't pay off and actually benefited Essendon leading to goals. Typical Noble... good all around with a few plays that cost his team badly.

Mihocek butchered his chances....

Frampton... bad game for him

Joking surely? Darcy cost us 4 goals by being in no man’s land all day, pushing up when he shouldn’t, tried to mark instead of spoiling and sits in the 50 on nobody in particular.
He is so loose it’s cost us games this year and today as a defender he was horrendous.
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

McCreery had 6 tackles and looked dangerous every time he got the ball. He’s playing his role without staring.
He fumbles a lot. Gives away silly free kicks when the opposition is under pressure. Cost us a certain goal after the hard work put in by his teammates, which can be demoralising.
It’s not the first time either. 6 tackles but only touching the ball 7 times and stuffing up basic opportunities is not a good result. His role has to be much more than just applying some forward pressure.

I don't really have words for what I watched today.

Maybe we came down off a bit of a high last week, maybe the occasion got to us a little, but we were probably a bit lucky in the end to walk away splitting the points this afternoon.

We struggled to get our hands on the ball out of the middle, were fumbly and rushed for the majority of the game and it felt like it was some sloppy disposal and some ordinary kicking for goal from the Bombers later in the game that stopped them from winning, more than anything we did (they certainly had more gettable chances inside F50 in the second half that they just kept missing).

Two points is better than zero points I guess, but this would have to go down as one of our more lack lustre Anzac Day efforts if I'm being honest about it. We will need to improve significantly in all areas next week or we'll have the old enemy handing our backsides to us on a platter.

Last edited:
So…we still waiting for De Goey to turn it around? Lol

There’s a delicious irony in the fact that we kicked 2 goals when De Goey wasn’t on the ground in that last quarter

Like, after THREE quarters of disposal that was absolutely killing us, on top of not really winning any clean clearances, you’d think we’d have at least tried to throw him forward. But no. Let’s sub out Tom Mitchell, the only player who was actually a clearance threat. That’ll work.

Then…when we needed some speed and hardness in the middle, we threw Sidebottom in there. Just lol. Lmao even.

I haven’t called out poor coaching much in the last 2 and a half seasons but today was a really really poor coaching effort.

Howe, Beau & Schultz are not best 22 at the moment.

HH could play the Schultz/Beau role. Maybe Dean needs to come in for Howe.

Beau's pressure and tackling was good. He makes the oppo defenders fumble through them knowing he's around. I thought Schultz second half was good.
Howe is a concern for me. Like Sidey, absolute champion of our club, but l just wonder if the final curtain falls on his career after this season...

I understand where you are coming from. I share your frustration. However we play a system based defence and everybody has a role. When the midfield and our HFFs don't apply their defensive pressure it makes our defence look all at sea. Our midfield has been off all year. Howe has dropped off and not making as many contests and IQ has been poor all year. Murph missing has been catastrophic and reveals how well he covered for Moore or Howe

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back