Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might sound like a cliche but football teams are in the business of winning premierships. We might have dropped on the ladder compared to Ratt's reign but we are undergoing short term pain for long term, sustainable tilt at success and flags. I rate Malthouse.

He has 12 months to run on a 3 year contract with currently a 42% winning ratio.

Why the rush to sign him up until the end of 2018?

The club and Mick have agreed to a 3 year deal, however no contracts will be signed in the immediate future as both parties want to see how things transpire in the early parts of next year. Both parties are very comfortable with this decision.

Someone tell Jonny Ralph! He was again banging on again this morning on SEN about why Carlton won't re-commit to Malthouse. Also suggesting Malthouse could retire at years end.

He has 12 months to run on a 3 year contract with currently a 42% winning ratio.
Why the rush to sign him up until the end of 2018?

I like that we have expressed our intent to continue with Mick but we have not signed anything yet, thus providing ourselves with an out based upon performance.

I like that we have expressed our intent to continue with Mick but we have not signed anything yet, thus providing ourselves with an out based upon performance.
Well I wouldn't be signing anything until September next year. Less than 10 wins should be considered an abject failure - McKenna and Sanderson were sacked in achieving this and at what point does one concede Malthouse might not be the man for the job...

The club and Mick have agreed to a 3 year deal, however no contracts will be signed in the immediate future as both parties want to see how things transpire in the early parts of next year. Both parties are very comfortable with this decision.
When you say agreed to a 3 year deal do mean agreed to financial terms? Seems strange that a contract has been agreed to but then hold out to see how things unfold next year meaning there may be no new contract.

Well I wouldn't be signing anything until September next year. Less than 10 wins should be considered an abject failure - McKenna and Sanderson were sacked in achieving this and at what point does one concede Malthouse might not be the man for the job...
Once he gets a decent go with his own list would be a good start. He's has his 2 seasons of cleaning out the riff raff, so this is where he usually starts making inroads.

Just come across your post Marc Shmurf 3

Very happy with that and that discussions and transparency have taken place. :thumbsu:

When you say agreed to a 3 year deal do mean agreed to financial terms? Seems strange that a contract has been agreed to but then hold out to see how things unfold next year meaning there may be no new contract.
Mick is very comfortable with this. He understands that there needs to be significant improvement from last year otherwise he is happy to be shown the door. But should he/ playing group respond/ improve, he wants the security and the club is happy to provide him with that.

It is a measure of how bad a position our list was in under the Ratten regiem. We are seeing the back end of it now.

You can feel the shift in mentality between regimes. I mean there is no was that we would have cut Robinson + McLean + Lucas in one go under Ratts. Sentimentality is no longer a factor in these decisions*.

*small part of me still hopes we will rookie list Lucas.

It is a measure of how bad a position our list was in under the Ratten regiem. We are seeing the back end of it now.

Ratten was a helluva coach to get that list into finals in consecutive years all the same.

Vastly underrated.

Ratten was a helluva coach to get that list into finals in consecutive years all the same.

Vastly underrated.

My real knock on him is that we rarely beat a top 4 side and should have been more ruthless in 11 regarding list management

Because of this we are in a rebuild (around the core playing group)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vastly underrated.
On the flipside he was helping to compile the list we have now, which was choc full of rubbish. He had the luxury of Judd in his peak too, who dragged us over the line many times as well.

Vastly underrated.
Ratts did very well but even when we were going well I wondered if he had what it took to take us all the way. He has shown he can coach but after doing his time at Melbourne he hadn't learnt about list management from a decent team.

If he wanted to come back after his stint at the Hawks I'd take him back. (not at the expense of cutting malthouse out he too knows how to get it done)

On the flipside he was helping to compile the list we have now, which was choc full of rubbish. He had the luxury of Judd in his peak too, who dragged us over the line many times as well.

He took on the job nobody wanted, had no support staff, was totally untried......and finally when it all started clicking, we were butchered injury wise and he was shown the door.

Okay the list hasn't panned out as it should, but geez MM had 10 years at Pie Land, drafted players and godknows how many he had to cut during his time there.

He took on the job nobody wanted, had no support staff, was totally untried......and finally when it all started clicking, we were butchered injury wise and he was shown the door.

Okay the list hasn't panned out as it should, but geez MM had 10 years at Pie Land, drafted players and godknows how many he had to cut during his time there.

MM also made 5-6 prelims and 4.5 GFs

MM also took them from spoon to a grandfinal in 3 years.

Ratts still had a bit of learning to do i feel, and he is in the perfect place to be learning everything he could ever hope to. But as happydude said previously, you just wonder if he has that killer instinct to get a team deep into September.

He will have learnt a lot from his time at the Hawks. Will be a premiership coach. But I don't think it would've happened with us at that point in time.

I would love to have him take us to a flag but right now both us and him are on the right path, I just hope they cross again

The list Ratten took over was getting beaten by 20 goals, 3 times a year for the previous 5.

Ratten wasnt a bad coach. He was the right coach for that time.

When Ratts got the Kybher Pass, with the amount of injuries we had that year, nobody.....I repeat NOBODY would've got that team in the finals. Ratts did well with the cows we had on the paddock, but I think there was no afterthought for the development of the future in his thinking/planning.
Love u Ratts
Go Blues!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back