Ryan Griffen the worst captain in VFL/AFL history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the worst captain - what he did on field was remarkable this year considering his injury concerns - but you can't call his captaincy a success.
I don't see how he can stay.

Never wanted to be captain in the first place. Cruelled by poor luck forcing him into the job. Never should have been one.
The fact that he couldn't say no is why this whole situation arose. Should have said no to the captaincy. Should have answered no to PG, CG and SG in the review. Instead he answered yes, then went behind the club's back. Spineless.

Should we have appointed him captain? No. But when a player as respected as Griff consistently says that he's ready for it, and everything you've seen says he is, it's difficult not to do it.

You blokes are kidding urself

Why has griff become the whipping boy for this?

He not the only one that wants out but simple minds make him the reason the coach is gone.

Macca couldn't bloody coach of he could he would still have a job it's that simple!

You blokes are kidding urself

Why has griff become the whipping boy for this?

He not the only one that wants out but simple minds make him the reason the coach is gone.

Macca couldn't bloody coach of he could he would still have a job it's that simple!

As your number one fan it breaks my heart to say this, but I don't agree. Ryan Griffen just committed the most uncaptain-like act by doing what he did, the way he did it.

If he is still running around in a Bulldogs jumper come round one next year I hope the 3,000 fans who haven't torn their memberships up boo him for 120 minutes.

The fact that he couldn't say no is why this whole situation arose. Should have said no to the captaincy. Should have answered no to PG, CG and SG in the review. Instead he answered yes, then went behind the club's back. Spineless.

Should we have appointed him captain? No. But when a player as respected as Griff consistently says that he's ready for it, and everything you've seen says he is, it's difficult not to do it.

Agree. Should have done an Adam Cooney and rejected any sort of responsibility and let a Murphy or Morris take the reigns for a couple years.

Gordon says he has great respect for him as a leader because he shared his concerns..... 6 months ago talking behind our back to get traded to GWS.. Yep.......Griff has a real love for our club

Either Peter Gordon is the biggest fool at our club, or he is a master bluffer talking him up for next weeks trade week....

Gordon says he has great respect for him as a leader because he shared his concerns..... 6 months ago talking behind our back to get traded to GWS.. Yep.......Griff has a real love for our club

Either Peter Gordon is the biggest fool at our club, or he is a master bluffer talking him up for next weeks trade week....

I'd say Peter Gordon is trying to salvage something out of this so I wouldn't go too hard on him. His private views might be a little different.

Griffen disgraced himself.

He wasn't fit for the job, and maybe pushing him into it was the fault of Boyd and McCartney, but he's completely tarnished his legacy in one moronic action.

Hopefully our next captain has a real passion for the club and buys into it's future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people just aren't cut out to lead. An awesome player, one of my all-time favorites.
If you've ever met him you'll know that he is quite shy and would prefer not to be the centre of attention at all. I have a feeling he was pushed into the leadership role and because he wants to please everyone he went along with it. I think he was chosen for the role because of his age. Murph and Morris were to old.

This seems a little over the top to me.

But I don't think Griff has exactly covered himself with glory, and he can't leave soon enough for mine.

MattDougie - i think you should distinguish between Griff possibly being correct, and the way he went about things. Let's say you are right about Macca and he is the worst coach ever. Then yes, Griff SHOULD have undermined the coach.... to the board during the review process a few weeks back. He shouldn't have accepted their reforms of the coaching structure, and then gone off to organise sneaky trades behind the club's back.

And he certainly shouldn't be hiding away now pig shooting rather than fronting up and taking responsibility for his own decisions.

Some people just aren't cut out to lead. An awesome player, one of my all-time favorites.
If you've ever met him you'll know that he is quite shy and would prefer not to be the centre of attention at all. I have a feeling he was pushed into the leadership role and because he wants to please everyone he went along with it. I think he was chosen for the role because of his age. Murph and Morris were to old.
Well said agree with everything in your post. Just a shame how this has all panned out. Sometimes people don't realize that they are not cut out to do something until they have a go at it.

Totally agree.

This seems a little over the top to me.

But I don't think Griff has exactly covered himself with glory, and he can't leave soon enough for mine.

MattDougie - i think you should distinguish between Griff possibly being correct, and the way he went about things. Let's say you are right about Macca and he is the worst coach ever. Then yes, Griff SHOULD have undermined the coach.... to the board during the review process a few weeks back. He shouldn't have accepted their reforms of the coaching structure, and then gone off to organise sneaky trades behind the club's back.

And he certainly shouldn't be hiding away now pig shooting rather than fronting up and taking responsibility for his own decisions.

Agree with all of this. I think calling him the worst captain in history is going too far, but he definitely has been and seems to be continuing to behave very poorly.

Don't know about that. Have spoken with him a couple of times and always really nice, happy to have a chat. Seems like a good guy.

He's just handled this really really poorly.
Agree with this and to go further i think he has been extremely poorly advised by his management, who really should have known a hell of a lot better.
As a player i could forgive him, just, but as the (former) club captain what he did is unforgivable.

...he's not far off. Barely heard from him all year, until he had his tantrum via his management yesterday.

Thanks, Griff.

At least Griffen can play footy.

Jack Grimes has to be the worst captain in the AFL at the moment, total spud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back