Official Match Thread S20 RD1: Baghdad Bandits v Mount Buller Demons @ Abdu Prison

Remove this Banner Ad

SEASON 20, ROUND 1

It's been nearly 15 years since this great league was created. There was less squabbling back then, but the centrepiece of the league was still Qooty. So, on the eve of our 20th season, we begin our reflection by looking back to when it all started.

Jan 25, 2001:

"Do you want to play a game?"

I wrote a simple QBasic game some years ago (still got it), whereby I enter team lists for a bunch of clubs, turn it into a league, and play a season.

The whole thing is based on random numbers. Therefore, anybody can play well or bad, anybody can win or lose, and all these roles can reverse themselves.

I'm suggesting that a bunch of yers get together and form some teams, give yerselves a team name, and let me know. I can create a league, play the matches (perhaps real time, at weekends) and run a season, posting results of matches here, with stats, goals, 3/2/1s, qtr by qtrs, all that sort of stuff.

I would say that any (pleasantish) name can be chosen for a team name, but try to use a sort of reasonable nickname, none of which are to be a nickname of an existing club. Well ... that's up to youse. But if yers are interested, please knock yer noggins together and submit me some teams.

Well, that's all I can give yer for now, its just a suggestion, please deliver unto me your thoughts. I'll answer any questions you have.

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

And with this, a league was born. Who was to know what this would become? A hyperactive cesspit of the best and worst that Bigfooty has to offer. Gee, we have had some great moments. There have been moments so funny that people behind screens would be in tears laughing. There have been moments so tense that the F5 button would cop a hammering. This QBasic game, which I'm so happy that Mobbs held onto, has given us all so much.

Jan 29, 2011:

As of ... (looks at watch) ... now, players can no longer simply be dobbed in. Conscription was only introduced to get the ball rolling, like getting petrol out of a 44ga drum through a hose. Now that the interest is out there, its up to teams to ASK players, and players to SIGN with a team, or to NOMINATE for the draft.

I will no longer take any part in signing on any players. It's up to you folks.

------------------
Hallowed be thy Roy

This was, basically, the league rules. Players were "conscripted" to the original teams. From there, "recruitment" began.

In the build up to season 1, many practice matches were played. Team KFC and the Dingoes played in the first practice match, and increased interest saw more and more teams join in on the action.

The 7th team to join the league, the SEVENTH WONDERS, won the inaugural Sweet Football Association premiership. It would be the first of many.

It was a successful first season. More than Mobbs would have dreamed of when he proposed the Sweet Football Association. He couldn't have imagined what we had now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baghdad Bandits: The Bandits finished 2nd last in S19. So they weren't quite the worst. They will have to do a lot better in S20 on and off the field.

beez still keeps on keeping on and his moments of quality are needed to propel the Bandits off the field in S20. He is rarely strong on the field, so he will be looking to change that in S20.

Mount Buller Demons: The Demons couldn't quite defend their premiership, finishing 6th in S19 and losing in the first week of the finals.

They were disappointed with their campaign but looking to bounce back.

Footypie32 was rewarded with All-SFA selection in S19 and will be looking to actively contribute to the Demons' cause once more.

ODDS:
Bandits- $2.70
Demons - $1.15

Maybe I'll just move it to the club room. beez loves it when I do that stuff (and he's the only person I care about in the league).

It is only the Bandits, so it is more or less a practice match for us. Do as you wish.

I was hoping I was part Targaryen. You don't know if you don't try...
15 minutes into the new season and he's already channelling his inner-Dragon. Disappointing such a fine exponent of the qooty game would resort to contemplating joining that rabble. Don't do it, FP, don't do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good. Then we don't have to read your drivel!
15 minutes into the new season and he's already channelling his inner-Dragon. Disappointing such a fine exponent of the qooty game would resort to contemplating joining that rabble. Don't do it, FP, don't do it.

Well, which one is it? I need to know whether to show you contempt or respect...

okeydoke7 I think you forgot to mention that the Demons recruited me. ME ME ME. I am a big deal.

But I am happy you didn't mention the 3rd best recruit of the off season IMS.

Baghdad Bandits?

Baghdad_Bob_medium.jpg

Nothing to see here folks!!!

Hello. I am here. In spirit at least.

Speaking of spirits, did you bring them? It was your one job, rookie, you better not have forgotten in your first game...

Speaking of spirits, did you bring them? It was your one job, rookie, you better not have forgotten in your first game...
If so, Bosley should be kicked out from the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back