Mega Thread The Footy Dept Thread Part I - #SackHardwick or #StandByDimma?

Should he go?

• See out his contract

Votes: 44 15.0%
  • See out the year

Votes: 130 44.2%
  • See out the day

Votes: 93 31.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 27 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why Tiger imposter has it all over you Wart . Your a tigeriffic bloke and you love the club and over rate our list just a smidgeon mate

Geelong Premiership Team 2007
Compared to last weeks Team

BP: Tom Harley FB: Mathew Scarlett BP:

BP: Grimes FB : Rance BP: Vlaustin

HB: Andrew Mackie CHB: Darren Millburn HB: David Wojinski

HB : Batchelor CHB : Chaplin HB: Houli

W: Joel Corey C: Jimmy Bartel W: Corey Enright

W: Mcintosh C: Dusty Martin W: Brandon Ellis

HF:Steve Johnson CHF: Cameron Mooney HF: Joel Selwood

HF:Chris Newman CHF: Ben Griffiths HF: Ricky Pettard

FP: Paul Chapman FF: Nathan Ablett FP: Matthew Stoked

FP: Sam Lloyd FF: Jack Reiwoldt FP: Steve Morris

Ruck : Brad Ottens RR: Cameron Ling Rover : Gary Ablett Jr

Ruck:Maric Ruck Rover : Miles Rover : Trent Cotchin

Bench: Steven King , James Kelly , Matthew Rook , Shannon Byrnes

Bench : Lambert , Shaun Griggs , Taylor Hunt , Flash Gordon

Even if we had Deledio , Edwards and Hampson available I think we might be a little of the mark . But go Tigers and #stand by Dimma
Thanks for the teams Rusty as ICBB doing the hard work. Now can we play Spot the Difference?

Wow that really just puts us in perspective, I know that's one of the great sides but were no where near it unfortunately, and it's not just talent comparison but on field leaders as well
It's a sad tail indeed . I wonder why these guys didn't do a documentary on how hard they trained over the off season . Probably because they didn't have to train.

Wow that really just puts us in perspective, I know that's one of the great sides but were no where near it unfortunately, and it's not just talent comparison but on field leaders as well
Who is in our leadership group again ?

Cotch
Lids
Maric
Morris
Grimes ?
Newman ?

I'm not sure if our two most inspirational players in Rance and Reiwoldt are in there . Maybe Rance is , I hope he is

I have no problem with Stevie in the leadership group he bleeds yellow and black and is a great human being and works very very hard . I'd just like him in the backline . We've wasted a whole 6 months not working on perfecting his game down there
It lists all the leaders for 2015
Your list seemed a bit out:eek:

Which makes my point bc you're basing your judgement on a positive forecast
Two outcomes to Cats 06 and us now are completely different as we've achieved not even a finals win let alone a prelim . Plus go and compare the two lists if you want to be really stunned. They carried basically no passengers in all facets of the game. We are still dealing with Newman Grigg Morris Chaplin Grimes Gordon dadadadadadadadadada
The end on this topic for me as we've killed it to death
The cats had passengers but they had a great 27 players to choose from and little injuries.

Whilst I agree when comparing the cats 07 team to ours its no contest, but at the time they hadnt done that much (been up for 2 years, but went down the year after and the fans were getting antsy. Then in 07 they were 2/2 after 4 games(fans restless again) before going on the be a great team and win the flag). The point is we are comparing them NOW, after they had proved they were great. It is also fair to say its most likely we WONT get to their level, but this is history that hasn't been written yet.

The cats had passengers but they had a great 27 players to choose from and little injuries.
How many did they have? As you only need best 22
Who were they in that team that Rusty listed?
I do agree with you though they had great depth which we don't
If you look at our bottom 8 in last weeks team it clearly shows some gaps compared to the cats side
Now who is at fault here?
Is this why there is a sack DH thread? Is he entirely to blame?
Six years into his tenure and we are nowhere near cats 06
We are still dropping games we are expected to win and carry guys that to me can't cut the mustard rather than develop kids and hopefully a star can be unleashed
Players not good enough or with deficiencies need to be moved on if a list is to be fast tracked
This is why we are no cats 06 IMHO , but we do have until 2016 to get there,

Last edited:
Can't help but laugh at the selective way the comparison of Geelongs premiership side of 07 and our side from last week has been made. If you want to do a comparison then compare the Geelong premiership side against what would be our best 22 side with everyone fit.

Geelong 2007 Premiership side:
B: Tom Harley Mathew Scarlett Josh Hunt
HB: Andrew Mackie Darren Millburn David Wojinski
C: Joel Corey Jimmy Bartel Corey Enright
HF: Steve Johnson Cameron Mooney Joel Selwood
F: Paul Chapman Nathan Ablett Matthew Stokes
Ruck: Brad Ottens Cameron Ling Gary Ablett Jr
INT: Steven King James Kelly Max Rooke Shannon Byrnes

Height: 188cm Weight: 90.6kg Age: 25.5 years Games: 97.7

Our 2015 Best 22:
B: Steve Morris David Astbury Troy Chaplin
HB: Bachar Houli Alex Rance Kamdyn McIntosh
C: Brandon Ellis Nick Vlastuin Reece Conca
HF: Brett Deledio Ben Griffiths Dustin Martin
F: Shane Edwards Jack Riewoldt Tyrone Vickery
R: Ivan Maric Trent Cotchin Anthony Miles
INT: Taylor Hunt Jake Batchelor Ben Lennon Chris Knights

Height: 188.8cm Weight: 88.3kg Age: 24.3 Games: 89.7

As you can see the comparison between the Geelong 07 side and our 2015 line up isn't that far off the mark. Now we might not taste ultimate success like the Cats did in 07, but we'll still have our fair share of success. The key is getting this side on the park sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't help but laugh at the selective way the comparison of Geelongs premiership side of 07 and our side from last week has been made. If you want to do a comparison then compare the Geelong premiership side against what would be our best 22 side with everyone fit.

Our 2015 Best 22:

As you can see the comparison between the Geelong 07 side and our 2015 line up isn't that far off the mark. Now we might not taste ultimate success like the Cats did in 07, but we'll still have our fair share of success. The key is getting this side on the park sooner rather than later.
Gee you can really notice the difference now you've added 2 players we are certainly on the way up . You'll also notice that Deledio and Edwards were mentioned in the comparison as they were both injured. I've noticed Ben Lennon in the above side but how can he be regarded best 22 if the coach doesn't recognise this. The same coach you want to keep.

Gee you can really notice the difference now you've added 2 players we are certainly on the way up . You'll also notice that Deledio and Edwards were mentioned in the comparison as they were both injured. I've noticed Ben Lennon in the above side but how can he be regarded best 22 if the coach doesn't recognise this. The same coach you want to keep.
Firstly the difference is more than just 2 players:
IN: Astbury Conca Deledio Edwards Vickery Knights & Lennon
OUT: Grimes Newman Grigg Gordon Lloyd Petterd & Lambert.

Then there is positional changes where we revert to playing guys in their best positions i.e. Morris back pocket, Chaplin 3rd tall, Vlastuin in the middle, Deledio Martin & Edwards as medium forwards rotating into the midfield, McIntosh onto a HBF for rebounding run, Astbury into FB & Vickery into the F50 to stretch the opposition. IMO these are the structural changes that need to be made to turn things around.

Then there is game plan changes.
- Forget about playing defensive forwards like Morris, load up the forward line with offensive weapons and let the opposition worry about us. Hawthorn Sydney Port Geelong Fremantle don't really worry about stopping the opponents defenders they let them worry about them.
- Load up the centre square with hard at it ball winning players that then give our runners like Deledio Martin Houli Ellis McIntosh Conca and Edwards the opportunity to move the ball like we did against Carlton.
- Stretch the opposition KPD stocks by having the 3 tall forward set up in play every week. Sure there might be weeks where one of them are quiet, but with the 3 of them in the side the opposition can't simply focus on stopping Jack to keep up down.

Our 2015 Best 22:

Add two Lids and two Sheds and you still couldn't say the teams were similar:D

How many did they have? As you only need best 22
Who were they in that team that Rusty listed?
I do agree with you though they had great depth which we don't
If you look at our bottom 8 in last weeks team it clearly shows some gaps compared to the cats side
Now who is at fault here?
Is this why there is a sack DH thread? Is he entirely to blame?
Six years into his tenure and we are nowhere near cats 06
We are still dropping games we are expected to win and carry guys that to me can't cut the mustard rather than develop kids and hopefully a star can be unleashed
Players not good enough or with deficiencies need to be moved on if a list is to be fast tracked
This is why we are no cats 06 IMHO , but we do have until 2016 to get there,
I don't think the reference was a player or team comparison moreso that they were able to turn it around, and in a way because they had played better, their downturn in 06 was worse, as they shouldn't have done that. Now they clearly had the grounding to be a good team and we are sceptical that we have that, which I guess is the question. Time will tell if we can turn it around like the cats.

I don't think the reference was a player or team comparison moreso that they were able to turn it around, and in a way because they had played better, their downturn in 06 was worse, as they shouldn't have done that. Now they clearly had the grounding to be a good team and we are sceptical that we have that, which I guess is the question. Time will tell if we can turn it around like the cats.
I think people need to remember that prior to round 6 2007 Geelong weren't seen as a genuine threat. In fact they were 2-3 heading into the game against us and there were some serious questions being asked about them. Then came that fateful night where everything clicked for them as a group and away they went.

Last week showed that we're yet to get to that stage where it's all clicked and we just roll along. We're still prone to those awful games where we fail to maintain the level required to be a great side. As you say that is the next big step for us. Being able to grind our wins when things aren't going great for us. That is what happens with the genuine contenders.

I think people need to remember that prior to round 6 2007 Geelong weren't seen as a genuine threat. In fact they were 2-3 heading into the game against us and there were some serious questions being asked about them. Then came that fateful night where everything clicked for them as a group and away they went.

Last week showed that we're yet to get to that stage where it's all clicked and we just roll along. We're still prone to those awful games where we fail to maintain the level required to be a great side. As you say that is the next big step for us. Being able to grind our wins when things aren't going great for us. That is what happens with the genuine contenders.
Exactly, which is why I think the references are made AFTER we knew they were a great team, not at that time.

Exactly, which is why I think the references are made AFTER we knew they were a great team, not at that time.
I'm in no way trying to suggest that our side is going to go on and have a Geelong type era of dominance. What I was trying to show was that like the Geelong side of 2007 we have the basis for a good side, despite having a few passengers like they did still being on the list. If we can get and keep our best 22-25 on the park together more often than not we'll be fine. Unfortunately over the last season and a bit we haven't had them all on the park often enough. Change that and I'm confident that things can and will turn around.

Who is in our leadership group again ?

Cotch
Lids
Maric
Morris
Grimes ?
Newman ?

I'm not sure if our two most inspirational players in Rance and Reiwoldt are in there . Maybe Rance is , I hope he is

You forgot chaplain

This is why Tiger imposter has it all over you Wart . Your a tigeriffic bloke and you love the club and over rate our list just a smidgeon mate

Geelong Premiership Team 2007
Compared to last weeks Team

BP: Tom Harley FB: Mathew Scarlett BP:Josh Hunt

BP: Grimes FB : Rance BP: Vlaustin

HB: Andrew Mackie CHB: Darren Millburn HB: David Wojinski

HB : Batchelor CHB : Chaplin HB: Houli

W: Joel Corey C: Jimmy Bartel W: Corey Enright

W: Mcintosh C: Dusty Martin W: Brandon Ellis

HF:Steve Johnson CHF: Cameron Mooney HF: Joel Selwood

HF:Chris Newman CHF: Ben Griffiths HF: Ricky Pettard

FP: Paul Chapman FF: Nathan Ablett FP: Matthew Stoked

FP: Sam Lloyd FF: Jack Reiwoldt FP: Steve Morris

Ruck : Brad Ottens RR: Cameron Ling Rover : Gary Ablett Jr

Ruck:Maric Ruck Rover : Miles Rover : Trent Cotchin

Bench: Steven King , James Kelly , Matthew Rook , Shannon Byrnes

Bench : Lambert , Shaun Griggs , Taylor Hunt , Flash Gordon

Even if we had Deledio , Edwards and Hampson available I think we might be a little of the mark . But go Tigers and #stand by Dimma
I never compared our team to geelongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back