Roast Saints.com.au lack of content and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

i really dont want to be criticising the club and i'm not doing this to score points or try make out i can do a better job (because I couldnt), but i feel it needs to be said and i'm doing this in the hope someone from the club reads this forum or someone who knows someone at the club is reading this forum

the lack of updates and content going up on saints.com.au is woefully bad. admittedly it has got better compared to 3 years ago, but i feel we've stagnated and are still providing members with a poor service (especially for those who like me are interstate members and pay an extremely inflated price for what we actually get), the thing that triggered me to post this, was i was looking for a replay of the practice game against port. i've been checking ports website since saturday night. came back today and they already have 8 videos up and more articles i can count using my hands. so then i went to our website and theres been 7 videos, 3 of which were covered in ports 1 highlights package that was more in depth than our 3 "highlights" videos combined. we've had 3 articles. i'm not sure any of the 3 were written by st kilda staff, it looks like a cut and paste job from another media source

i hope were not paying for full time staff for this kind of output. at minimum we should have 1 video clip a day and maybe 1 or 2 articles, if were doing the cut and paste thing then there should be more than that.

this is extremely worrying when were in the week leading up to round 1 and were trying to sell memberships. it just staggers belief that when were struggling for exposure and membership that were not pushing content on our own website using our own resources

please tell me i am wrong here and i am missing something!!!

It's a fair call, support bases are founded on accessibility, from the early days of train lines, to the more recent TV influence. Social media is the next big thing and we suck dogs balls at it.

Interesting to see some club type function down franga way on the news tonight, I must have missed the advertising.

I wouldn't worry to much about the lack of updates from the weekend. They had a family day in Frankston today so the whole crew would have been involved in that and it might have caused some lag in getting out more stuff about the game on the weekend.

They still have plenty of room to improve, but I think they are on the right track.

More montages of the guys working out in the gym plz.

It's a fair call, support bases are founded on accessibility, from the early days of train lines, to the more recent TV influence. Social media is the next big thing and we suck dogs balls at it.

Interesting to see some club type function down franga way on the news tonight, I must have missed the advertising.

Port Adelaide made about 8 status updates today on their Facebook. And several more in the past two days in relation to the game.

We posted 4 highlights videos on gameday. Not a single update in the two days since.

A long with the website it's a little disappointing. Although hardly surprising.

To be honest, I still think we're way ahead of where we were this time last year. So hey, if you're looking for a positive, we are at least improving.

Perhaps it's just that we have a small team of media staff compared to other clubs? It's a bit of a catch 22. We need marketing to expand the club and therefore improve profits but we also need profits to hire more staff in this area.

i really dont want to be criticising the club and i'm not doing this to score points or try make out i can do a better job (because I couldnt), but i feel it needs to be said and i'm doing this in the hope someone from the club reads this forum or someone who knows someone at the club is reading this forum

the lack of updates and content going up on saints.com.au is woefully bad. admittedly it has got better compared to 3 years ago, but i feel we've stagnated and are still providing members with a poor service (especially for those who like me are interstate members and pay an extremely inflated price for what we actually get), the thing that triggered me to post this, was i was looking for a replay of the practice game against port. i've been checking ports website since saturday night. came back today and they already have 8 videos up and more articles i can count using my hands. so then i went to our website and theres been 7 videos, 3 of which were covered in ports 1 highlights package that was more in depth than our 3 "highlights" videos combined. we've had 3 articles. i'm not sure any of the 3 were written by st kilda staff, it looks like a cut and paste job from another media source

i hope were not paying for full time staff for this kind of output. at minimum we should have 1 video clip a day and maybe 1 or 2 articles, if were doing the cut and paste thing then there should be more than that.

this is extremely worrying when were in the week leading up to round 1 and were trying to sell memberships. it just staggers belief that when were struggling for exposure and membership that were not pushing content on our own website using our own resources

please tell me i am wrong here and i am missing something!!!

Been saying it for ages and sadly it wont change until the people in media department change. And yes we are paying people full time for this output.

Funny thing is it was about this time last year I posted the same thing about them - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...benefits-social-media-website-content.992801/

To be honest, I still think we're way ahead of where we were this time last year. So hey, if you're looking for a positive, we are at least improving.

Above link was posted on March 9th, 2013.

This was what was weird about Saturday. As I said, I just happened to find myself in the stands next to Summers. Pure coincidence, but still.

I'm typing away all those updates on my laptop. He's watching me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved doing it for you guys. But yikes, I'd hope he'd be thinking, "Gee, shouldn't LUKE be doing this? Isn't this what we pay him to do?"

A Port fan asked me.how.many were reading the updates, and I said, about 50. Surely, Summers would realise that if it was done on the saints website it could reach thousands.

Yesterday, we signed an international rookie. That couldn't have been a decision taken too lightly, surely the club knows something about the kid.

So where's the highlight video? The player profile? The acknowledgement that we actually signed him, other than re-tweet?

This is pretty impressive news, surely we could have had something ready to go yesterday.

This was what was weird about Saturday. As I said, I just happened to find myself in the stands next to Summers. Pure coincidence, but still.

I'm typing away all those updates on my laptop. He's watching me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved doing it for you guys. But yikes, I'd hope he'd be thinking, "Gee, shouldn't LUKE be doing this? Isn't this what we pay him to do?"

A Port fan asked me.how.many were reading the updates, and I said, about 50. Surely, Summers would realise that if it was done on the saints website it could reach thousands.

That is worrying. I like luke and thinks he's been good for us, so I'm not trying to throw him under the bus, but was he at the game?

I know he's been on leave recently

Yesterday, we signed an international rookie. That couldn't have been a decision taken too lightly, surely the club knows something about the kid.

So where's the highlight video? The player profile? The acknowledgement that we actually signed him, other than re-tweet?

This is pretty impressive news, surely we could have had something ready to go yesterday.

That's damning. Atleast write a puff piece to announce it. Maybe a highlights reel like you said. Then do the more in depth jumper presentation interview later when Shane met him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Social Media and official club media content leaves a lot to be desired, sadly.

I feel as if it has improved over last couple of years. The coverage of our Colarado trip was exceptional.

Annnnnnnd then it died.

It's disappointing to see 15 different journos "break" the news of Jack Steven's injury with differing time estimations and diagnosis.

The club took an hour just to release the news, after all news services had run it.

LET YOUR SUPPORTERS KNOW. BE UPFRONT, give unprecedented access and let people feel like they truly own the club.

There's no advantages to playing games or to withholding information that will come out anyway. I want to hear it from my club first.

I think you are being harsh here, we are a smallish club with limited resources concentrating on community camps, season launches and family days at the moment. We are not a news organisation with people spying and phone tapping to get the scoop. Once the season proper starts I think we will be okay.

The other thing we could do perhaps is approach the club to see if we can help out with it's social media. There are lots of us on here who surely can collaborate in our down time, this could be a great way to help the club.

I think you are being harsh here, we are a smallish club with limited resources concentrating on community camps, season launches and family days at the moment. We are not a news organisation with people spying and phone tapping to get the scoop. Once the season proper starts I think we will be okay.

The other thing we could do perhaps is approach the club to see if we can help out with it's social media. There are lots of us on here who surely can collaborate in our down time, this could be a great way to help the club.

then they shouldnt sell and set an expectation they cant meet:
Being a member of the Saints gives you so much more than just a seat at the footy.

With a full 12-month calendar of events, members will be invited to events such as our annual Family Day by the Bay, Multicultural Food Festival, Saints Moonlight Cinema and Christmas celebrations, non-Victorian supporter functions plus much, much more.

The brand new Saints Digital Pass will bring you closer to your football club than ever before with exclusive inner sanctum content and member communications.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-28/more-than-a-football-club

Doesn't cost much money to have good media and social media people in place. Not like you need 100 people to update website and post news and information. We are so far behind all other "small" clubs in this aspect it's not funny. Amateur sporting clubs have better coverage and social media updates then us!

Doesn't cost much money to have good media and social media people in place. Not like you need 100 people to update website and post news and information. We are so far behind all other "small" clubs in this aspect it's not funny. Amateur sporting clubs have better coverage and social media updates then us!
its pretty avg. i can go to seaford stand on sideline take a movie on my hd ph and upload it on you tube.$0 thats how much it will cost me.

Why don't you go and do it then? Let's be solution oriented, it's easy to be negative but let's be positive. I'm sure the Saints supporters interstate would love to see training from a man in the outers perspective. You could even chat to some players and tell them its for the good folk at Big Footy.

Why don't you go and do it then? Let's be solution oriented, it's easy to be negative but let's be positive. I'm sure the Saints supporters interstate would love to see training from a man in the outers perspective. You could even chat to some players and tell them its for the good folk at Big Footy.
Two things here, BS. I like the theory, but the fact is, in my experience, the club looks at BFers with little more than derision or outright suspicion. As soon as I mentioned that I was a BFer to Summers, he closed up pretty quickly, despite being chatty up until then. We might offer to help out, somehow, but if the club doesn't welcome our contribution, what are we meant to do?

And again, nothing that I did the other day was "professional" to say the least - but the fans here appreciated it. All I did was write down what I saw happening in the game while it was going on. If they couldn't be stuffed paying somebody to move a half-decent camera wherever the ball was going, and then upload the footage onto the saints website, they could have at least done what I did.

Why can other clubs do it?

I have approached the club, to advise that whomever handles the social media account (twitter) has been doing a poor job.
I found out about two events, via other players re-tweeting them - the original tweeter was Luke. Not from the club. Am I meant to follow Luke?!

the response to my email, was donuts.
They never responded.
After waiting a week or so, I then wrote back saying "I presume my email has been attended to. The irony of having no response to an email lamenting the lack of communication from the club, has not been missed".

On May 7th, last year, I asked Luke via twitter this:
@LukeHolmesby Great job with the Colin Carter interview about Barks. Any chance of putting up his actual acceptance speech?

His response, the very same day:

We're hoping to have all the speeches up on the site in the coming days. Some great stuff in there.

Still waiting.

Persy, with eyes like that I'm not surprised Summers ran the other way! I still think we can help out Defacto and co by posting videos here, if only to shame the club into acting? Having said that, I have seen plenty of posts last year praising LH for the job he was doing.

I think the days of us being negative about the club have to end for us to get more cred, only a thought, maybe I'm wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back