Roast Saints.com.au lack of content and updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don't you go and do it then? Let's be solution oriented, it's easy to be negative but let's be positive. I'm sure the Saints supporters interstate would love to see training from a man in the outers perspective. You could even chat to some players and tell them its for the good folk at Big Footy.

I actually agree with you 1000%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Persy, with eyes like that I'm not surprised Summers ran the other way! I still think we can help out Defacto and co by posting videos here, if only to shame the club into acting? Having said that, I have seen plenty of posts last year praising LH for the job he was doing.

I think the days of us being negative about the club have to end for us to get more cred, only a thought, maybe I'm wrong?

I think there was a heap of praise for the saints about town thing they did {which was really good}

Although, I think this has been an ongoing problem - we seem to always be behind other clubs in this regard.

Persy, with eyes like that I'm not surprised Summers ran thee other way! I still think we can help out Defacto and co by posting videos here, if only to shame the club into acting? Having said that, I have seen plenty of posts last year praising LH for the job he was doing.
Lol. Yeah, that's probably a good point about the eyes! :)

Inevitably, we'll keep doing what we do here, because we love this stuff. Squizz and thunda will keep posting feeds on how Sandy games go, etc. But you're right, we ARE a resource that the club could utilise more effectively, if they were willing to.

And yep, we have praised Luke. I praise my 3yo for "making" her bed - not because she does it well, but it's better than her not doing anything at all, and because my praise should encourage her to keep getting better. But if she's still making her bed like that when she's 12, that's going to be a problem. Luke has been in this caper for quite some time, now. He - and the bosses he's accountable to - have had plenty of time to see how we compare to other clubs, including the cash-strapped Kangas, or Port. We praised Luke for his handling of Colorado, because we thought it was a sign of a much improved online presence.

While to some extent it IS getting better, the lack of significant coverage of our final practice game and the Family Day are pretty disappointing. Especially because there was so much marketable stuff there. Your ordinary fan will only see the result - we lost to Port. They won't understand that we gave the Power a real scare, and they had to seriously pull their fingers out to ensure they weren't embarrassed in front of their most faithful fans at their spiritual home turf. I came out of that game beaming with pride, and any Saints fan who knew the full story would, too. It's just a shame most fans won't know the full story...

Outstanding social media and member communications, is something that the Saints could excel in, even with our size and limited resources. This isn't about lavish TV studios, slick presenters etc, but about relevance, insights, discipline, creativity, consistency and frequent communications.

The beauty is it can fixed relatively quickly. The club does not have to reinvent the wheel, but copy what the best of the best are currently doing in major sport teams around the world.

http://www.slideshare.net/mike-harper/top-professional-sports-teams-in-social-media
  • San Francisco Giants Facebook: 1,697,472 likes Twitter: 436,891 followers Instagram: 261,904 followers Social Media Cafe
  • 5. San Francisco Giants The Giants had a very big impact in last years MLB playoffs with their social media accounts. They really took in to account the way that fans watch games and want to interact with the team through the internet and social media. This season they were the first professional sports team to open what they call a “social media cafe” at their ballpark for the fans. The Giants as a organization have really began to understand the way that the sport is going and the way to get new fans in the future.

• Los Angeles Kings Facebook: 361,790 likes Twitter: 242,836 followers Instagram: 78,752 followers
  • 7. Los Angeles Kings The Kings are a team playing a unlikely sport in Los Angeles. Team’s in warmer climates like Florida and L.A. have a hard time getting people to their games because hockey is a winter sport. The kings have taken it upon themselves to use tools such as Twitter and Facebook to bring more fans in and get their team’s brand out there. They realized that they are competing with other huge team in their market like the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Dodgers so they need to use these free tools efficiently. During last years playoff run they were one of the best team’s with their social media accounts. They used it very well and even poked fun at some other teams and celebrities.

• Boston Celtics Facebook: 6,933,228 likes Twitter: 1,135,719 followers Instagram: 443,037 followers
  • 11. Boston Celtics The Boston Celtics are known for their social media accounts. They use them all really well but the best one is their Instagram account. They were one of the first team’s to get an Instagram account and are one of the best professional team’s using it today. They use it to bring their fans into their players lives and the pre and post game activities that go on. During the season they are using it the most of any team and they connect it between their other accounts as well. For a team that does not have world wide status like the Lakers they have a lot of followers on their accounts

• Miami Heat Facebook: 8,401,855 likes Twitter: 1,542,469 followers Instagram:728,889 followers
  • 13. Miami Heat The Heat have grown in popularity in the last couple years and it has to do with their social media. They have used their social media accounts very well and stayed on top of many trends that are happening. They connect all of their big star players to the team’s account and their fan base just keeps getting bigger. They hold a lot of different contests on their Twitter pages for their fans and really stay on top of them. When the trend of “The Harlem Shake” came out the Heat decided to make their own video and used their social media accounts to promote it

• New York Giants Facebook: 2,671,657 likes Twitter: 461,602 followers Instagram: 24,544 followers
  • 17. NewYork Giants The New York sports market is really competitive with having two MLB team’s, two NBA team’s, three NHL team’s, and two NFL team’s all in the area. The New York Giants do a really great job using their resources like their social media accounts to bring more attention to their team. They have many followers on every site and stay up to date with their fans by providing them with regular information. They tweet many times during the day and even in the off season with not many team’s do

Once you move from doing the basics very very well, then there is scope for all sorts of incredible engagement with your supporters:

http://sproutsocial.com/insights/sports-teams-social-media/

Not ones to shy away from new social networks, the Dallas Cowboys embraced Google+ early on. Linebacker DeMarcus Ware was one of, if not the, first athletes on a professional team to hold a Google+ Hangout. The video chat essentially turned into an exclusive press conference between Ware and nine fans.

Google+ Hangouts provide teams with a great opportunity to personalize interactions with fans and to provide a unique behind-the-scenes look at what’s happening on and off of the field.

The Cowboys launched its Google+ Page on November 7th, just 10 days before the Hangout. Since then, the team has gained close to 125,000 followers. Although there hasn’t been a follow-up Hangout, the Page remains active, receiving an average of 47.3 +1s on each post.

The funny thing is there are a number of budding journalists looking for internships that could be doing something like this just for the experience and to have on a resume, rather than for the money.

A number of clubs overseas have social media centres run by volunteers. Read of one last year that had twenty on staff who were producing content for the club.

You only have to read for a little while on the Saints forum to see the talent, communications skills and passion for St Kilda from a number of posters on here. Clubs with limited resources need to look for novel approaches as to how they harness FREE talent.

Could start an impressive social media volunteer department with:

Rahul

Stanley_Knifes

stkildathunda

CHBench

okeydoke7

Nutsngum

hayes

Hayes4PM

Periphery

PS Lots of other great posters with passion, but left off anyone who knows who Carl Ditterich was? Or how mad was Mad Dog Muir? A guess list of youth (or youthful) with knowledge of social media.

i really dont want to be criticising the club and i'm not doing this to score points or try make out i can do a better job (because I couldnt), but i feel it needs to be said and i'm doing this in the hope someone from the club reads this forum or someone who knows someone at the club is reading this forum

the lack of updates and content going up on saints.com.au is woefully bad. admittedly it has got better compared to 3 years ago, but i feel we've stagnated and are still providing members with a poor service (especially for those who like me are interstate members and pay an extremely inflated price for what we actually get), the thing that triggered me to post this, was i was looking for a replay of the practice game against port. i've been checking ports website since saturday night. came back today and they already have 8 videos up and more articles i can count using my hands. so then i went to our website and theres been 7 videos, 3 of which were covered in ports 1 highlights package that was more in depth than our 3 "highlights" videos combined. we've had 3 articles. i'm not sure any of the 3 were written by st kilda staff, it looks like a cut and paste job from another media source

i hope were not paying for full time staff for this kind of output. at minimum we should have 1 video clip a day and maybe 1 or 2 articles, if were doing the cut and paste thing then there should be more than that.

this is extremely worrying when were in the week leading up to round 1 and were trying to sell memberships. it just staggers belief that when were struggling for exposure and membership that were not pushing content on our own website using our own resources

please tell me i am wrong here and i am missing something!!!

When the saints were in Colorado, the updates from there were outstanding, but since then I have noticed it has gone down a par, to a lot of news reports rather than videos!
I liked last year how they had 'schneiderman', it felt like you got to know another side of the players rather than what the media report!
And also the videos of our new recruits and our sports trainer, explaining what the players were doing during pre-season!
Something so small as that can go a long way for a supporter!!

The videos don't need to be slick productions. The more raw, the better they are. I personally don't have too much time to visit the site anyways, so not really fussed. we get it all and then some on here.

It's a work in progress. But I hope they don't just churn out crap for the sake of keeping the peasants entertained. If it is news worthy then get it out there.

To be honest it looks a lot to me like what I'd expect as an output from 1 person, working with walk-in assistance. Anyone know if that's what is in place - i.e. it's one person working mostly on their own to hardness and distribute info, whilst getting help a few times a week from vid and sound folk to make recordings?

Port are very good with their interest articles; I've a friend supports them so I frequent their site and after buying merch as a gift a couple years back I get club emails - always professional standard. Saints are definitely better this year than in past in terms of quality of the PR output. That social media tie-in, frequency of core list info being fed from the club's inner sanctum, and the regular fluff pieces to keep interest, are all sadly missing.
An interactive club 'hangout' is a major thing - that type of opportunity leads to major site traffic, which in turn gives better numbers for sponsor negotiations.

credit where credits due, we've seen some improvement over the last couple of days:
- port vs saints practice match has been uploaded in full
- strategy function videos uploaded straight after the event
- strategy function speeches uploaded the day after
- injury update
- some articles
- member draft initiative

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still waiting two months later to get my daughters gift membership sorted ( I got two memberships to myself same number duplicated) have contacted the club got a nice helpful answer but no result. Guess what, you gotta follow up. Sack someone.

I'm still waiting two months later to get my daughters gift membership sorted ( I got two memberships to myself same number duplicated) have contacted the club got a nice helpful answer but no result. Guess what, you gotta follow up. Sack someone.

hi saintos, if you need the contact details of the manager there, just let me know. she sorted out all of my issues pretty quickly. paid up, loyal members like yourself shouldnt be put through that crap

Ok time to resurrect this thread. The club had lots of justifiable criticism for the lack of content, feedback, communication, updates etc, but the corner has more than turned on this.

From Facebook updates through to numerous articles and a multitude of videos, we are now being provided with one off and reoccurring content. With coach reports, physio injury updates, selection reports, VFL player updates, Scneiderman and player interviews there is now daily, fresh and interesting content.

This is an OUTSTANDING improvement, that is to be applauded.

Agreed, sometimes I get on and theres almost too much content for me to want to watch right then.

Very good work by the club.

Agreed, sometimes I get on and theres almost too much content for me to want to watch right then.

Very good work by the club.

Almost? Never too much, but do understand what you are saying. I now go to the Saints website daily to check, whereas before it was as a reference or if something was posted on BF that was worth seeing or reading there.

Ok time to resurrect this thread. The club had lots of justifiable criticism for the lack of content, feedback, communication, updates etc, but the corner has more than turned on this.

From Facebook updates through to numerous articles and a multitude of videos, we are now being provided with one off and reoccurring content. With coach reports, physio injury updates, selection reports, VFL player updates, Scneiderman and player interviews there is now daily, fresh and interesting content.

This is an OUTSTANDING improvement, that is to be applauded.

have you also told the club? its no use only telling us. the club needs positive feedback as well.

Something wrong with the twitter feed today.

I've been invited to guess the final score, bring the kiddies to the kiddies zone and stay in my seat at half time for the face in the crowd competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back